Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the context.

Comment

I was going to put this in the ship of the day thread but I think it sits better here. A container ship in the Thames estuary this evening, but look at the lack of containers.

Comment

This picture shows it even more graphically. Look behind the ships bridge at the total lack of containers then look forward and see the low level of containers. If anything demonstrates the collapse of the World economy this does.

Last edited by Paul S; 14-05-2020, 20:08.

Comment

This what the Santa Ursula normally looks like:

Comment

We've had a couple of police incidents at my work in the past week, which have involved colleagues being "spat at", where an agitated customer has been too close and while they are shouting some saliva has hit the colleague (or their visor in one case).

In the current climate, telling the police a member of staff has been spat on certainly makes the fuckers turn up sharpish, and in numbers, compared to when they can be bothered for the standard "person refuses to leave the store" call. Nicked them straight away, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
              Ryanair have just got that little bit nastier by refusing to give refunds, or at least, by making it as difficult as possible to get them. If your flight is cancelled you are entitled to a full refund, but Ryanair are only offering people a voucher for a future flight. Apparently if you click on a link of their website to get a refund it sends you to a page telling you you can get a refund but gives no way of actually doing it. Phone calls are also unanswered. I was due to fly from Carlisle to Southend next month with Loganair but they cancelled the route and I got a refund, it was very simple and easy. Ryanair are trying to hold on to people's money. Also, there are reports then when people try and book alternative flights using their voucher, they are being quoted £125 when flights on the website can be bought for £16.99.
              Our flight from Stansted to Valencia (Ryanair) at the end of June just got cancelled (our outward bound flight is with easyjet; no news about that yet). No problem with the cancellation as the wedding we were going to is off. The company provided a refund link; I clicked and lo and behold! it worked. Money to be returned within 15-20 days, I'm told. We'll see. I also read somewhere that airlines are taking fewer liberties regarding refunds with consumers based outside the UK; don't know of this is true or not.

Comment

Ryanair won't take any risks with a customer based in Spain, especially if you have cc'd the Regulator.

Comment

Government now demanding that the full rail timetable is re-instated for July 14th.

All train operators have told them to fuck off.
                  1. Passenger numbers are still below 10% of normal usage%
                  2. Staff sickness through COVID is averaging 7%
                  3. It is impossible to observe social distancing in booking on points/mess rooms/offices if all staff are in work.
                  4. The train maintenance depots can't service any more trains than they can at the moment as social distancing has revised methods of working which has reduced output.

Comment

Out of interest, there was some twat protesting on top of a train at Edinburgh yesterday, which brought the railway to a standstill for three hours. Passenger numbers for trapped trains were as such;-
                    - LNER Kings Cross - Edinburgh, capacity 611 seats, actual pax = 10.
                    - Cross Country Bristol - Edinburg, capacity 282 seats, actual pax = 7
                    - Trans Pennine Man Airport - Edinburg, capacity 312vseats, actual pax = 5.
                    there were five Scotrail services, each with a circa 300 seat capacity. One had three passengers and (not sure why) five members of staff, the other four trains all had a single passenger on them.

All the scare stories about public transport seem to just use a fore- shortened lens shot of the tube at Leicester Square in the peak. The reality is, no one is travelling.
                    Last edited by Big Boobs and FIRE!; 21-05-2020, 22:26.

Comment

Back on the (Arriva) bus this week for the first time in two months, thankfully on a quiet service. It's only running one an hour which means, thanks more to my colleagues than management, that I've been able to get away earlier rather than hang around long after my shift has finished. Arriva don't seem in any hurry to extend the fleet on any of their services for now.

Interesting that Nexus (who manage the transport network up here) have put signs up at the main interchanges asking all people to wear face masks when boarding. Bar myself and a couple of passengers I saw today, absolutely nobody is doing so (including on buses I have seen pass by). I wrongly expected at least a few more but nobody seems that fussed.

Comment

Some big changes coming up in central London. A lot of pavements aren't wide enough for people to isolate so they're widening them by encroaching onto the road. This is then pushing things like bus and cycle lanes further into the road and narrowing the carriageway. All bus lanes inside the north and south circular (or as many as possible) will become 24/7 operation and some roads will become one way rather than two way. In some ways this is all very exciting as it gives us the first chance since WW2 to make substantial changes to the London road layout and we could achieve some massive modal shift. The thing is, I don't know how we're going to fit all those extra pedal cycles onto the rush hour trains.

Comment

More people back at work this week, First West Yorkshire are experimenting on the Hudds-Bradford route which is part of my commute. They're sticking (for this week) with the rush hour/Sunday mash up service, but are sending two buses out at once. Which is fine if you get the empty bus, but not if you're unlucky and get the fuller one, which inevitably then gets to the busy stops first, while empty sails along picking up the odd stragglers.
                          They've got stickers on every seat except the one in ten that you can use, but they are being disregarded once the limit is reached, and mask use has dropped to a negligible level now they've actually got signs up telling people to use them.

I'll be interested to see next week's timetable, they'll have to have a full rush hour, but how will they meet demand during the day time? If the shops are open, are people being told not to go to them?
                          The pensioners and underemployed will be camping at the bit.

Comment

Stay safe jwdd27

Primary schools for reception, Year 1 and Year 6 are due back on June 1st and Years 10 and 12 are due back on June 15th which is only going to add to traffic.

Comment

I am quite frankly edging ever closer to take a chance on trains, I need to get the fuck out this hole and head for a quiet place. Paul seemed to have no issue when he did it for his costal hikes...

Someone tell me off...

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
                                I am quite frankly edging ever closer to take a chance on trains, I need to get the fuck out this hole and head for a quiet place. Paul seemed to have no issue when he did it for his costal hikes...

Someone tell me off...
                                Tell you off? I live one minute from the seafront. I have walked so much of the Essex coastline you would not believe it, I have an ordnance survey map where I have been highlighting all the footpaths I've walked on and there are one or two major omissions. I have been visiting Ordnance Survey trig points as well, those are good fun to bag. But as for travelling to the hills or another county? No, not yet. I am facebook friends with a local Councillor who gets daily reports on Covid 19 deaths in the area. After several weeks of 1,0,2,0,2,1 in terms of new daily infections, all of a sudden we have one new death and 13 new infections. We aren't out of the woods just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post

Someone tell me off...
                                  There is no one on the trains. It's more of a risk to go in a supermarket.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE! View Post

There is no one on the trains. It's more of a risk to go in a supermarket.
                                    I know, by risk I mean being challenged about my journey.

Comment

Say that you're testing your eyesight.

Comment

Liverpool Street Station just now and there are more railway staff than passengers.

Comment

I've been getting a lift to work this week and I'm not in for the next ten days, so I haven't seen if the buses have picked up with more passengers yet. They're still only running one an hour to my temporary workplace at this stage but I'll be interested to see what happens when I go back on the 8th June.

It wasn't great on one of my return journeys last week when a large amount of office workers got on at the business park. As it was a single decker, there was no scope to social distance and only two of the passengers were wearing masks (to be honest, nobody appears to be wearing masks on the buses here). It seemed a bit pointless when the same (generally able bodied) workers all got off a couple of stops later at the metro station when the alternative was an easy walk in the sunshine.

Comment

I went walking in Derbyshire on Saturday March 21st (two days before Johnson announced lockdown) and went by train, which I don't think was my brightest ever decision in retrospect. The 0914 from Sheffield is usually pretty busy - the Saturday before I'd been standing, which is not uncommon - but that day there was one other person in my carriage. That's the most recent time I went on public transport at all.

That was also the day after the pubs had shut, which I'm now using as a benchmark for travel. Whenever the pubs reopen (in whatever joyless format that initially takes) then I'll take a look at the position and consider a train trip to the Peak District. Until then, nah, I'll stick with my Saturday circular walks round the local paths.

Comment

I miss the trains - the good aspects of them anyway. I don't travel on them for work but use them when visiting family down south or going on day trips, so doubt I will be using them for the foreseeable future. It's making me crave for a future journey on a jaw-dropping route like the West Highland Railway or something of a similar ilk.

Comment

I don't miss the daily commute, at all but as I can't drive, I am essentially stuck here. I could actually ride to the nearest hill, 20 miles away on rather easy terrain but then I have a, say, 7 miles hike then a further 20 miles ride back. A bit punishing unless I cut the hike a fair bit. I think I can find a quiet spot just half a mile from road on a small hill but...

Maybe I should get an ebike...

Comment

As the Government gaslights an entire country into pretending it is almost fully reopen.

[URL="https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1266431804803878918"]https://twitter.com/flightradar24/st...31804803878918[/URL]

Comment

Well...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-52836702

Comment

Working...
                                                    X