World Cup of Flags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Cup of Flags

Commentary thread for the competition which is on twitter here https://twitter.com/WorldCupOfFlags, since it will go on for a good while and it runs the risk of totally dominating the minor pluses thread.

Anyway, today once again shows that people are voting for flags which don;t look like flags with Turkmenistan's carpet pattern thingy streaking away from the field. My favourite today is Guinea Bissau (I'm beginning to realise that I like single stars on flags)

Italy

tomato basil mozzarella

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
      Italy

tomato basil mozzarella
      Your choices today are

Comment

Russia's getting a bit of an undeserved pasting. I'm realising I don't like green on flags.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
          Russia's getting a bit of an undeserved pasting. I'm realising I don't like green on flags.
          I'd be surprised if there wasn't a bit of a turnaround at some point when somebody in Russia notices this and starts spreading it around and urging people to vote

Comment

Surely one of Guinea-Bissau vs. Benin should be wearing their change kit.

Comment

All of today's flags are decent but not amazing. Although the seemingly random placement of the patterned band and moon and stars on the Turkmen flag is doing my head in.

Comment

Red, yellow and green were the colours of the absurd grammar school I had the misfortune to go to, so even now it requires some effort to give that combination a fair wave.

Comment

Cameroon was robbed yesterday. 6th!

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                    Red, yellow and green were the colours of the absurd grammar school I had the misfortune to go to, so even now it requires some effort to give that combination a fair wave.
                    Karma Karma Karma Karma Karma Chameleon.....

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

I detest those as a three-colour combination which, if I was taking part in the vote, would make today's choice an easy one.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                        Commentary thread for the competition which is on twitter here https://twitter.com/WorldCupOfFlags, since it will go on for a good while and it runs the risk of totally dominating the minor pluses thread.

Anyway, today once again shows that people are voting for flags which don;t look like flags with Turkmenistan's carpet pattern thingy streaking away from the field. My favourite today is Guinea Bissau (I'm beginning to realise that I like single stars on flags)
                        Huh. When I voted, St. Kitts & Nevis was winning the group by a landslide. By default, I presume. This group stinks.

I voted for Turkmenistan in second place too, but it's out of sheer boredom. They would have gotten nowhere near the top in other groups.

Comment

St. Kitts & Nevis all the way for me.

Comment

This has been a great one for me to remember some of the Caribbean places I've been. I've seen St Vincent and Dominica so far, I assume St Lucia and Barbados will be up there too. Barbados' trident for me probably trumps Dominica's parrot.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                              This has been a great one for me to remember some of the Caribbean places I've been.
                              ...which was nice.

Every flag will be up at some point, St Lucia are in group T alongside that well-known heavy hitter "Romania + Chad"

Comment

I'd like to see a Chad v Romania quarter final.

Comment

Group P has the Netherlands + Luxembourg as one entry. The blue isn't even the same color on those flags.

Can't be too outraged; it's not as if this flag has any right to get anywhere near the second round.

Comment

Waiting for the Egypt/Yemen/Syria/Iraq and Sudan/UAE/Jordan/Kuwait/Palestine rounds. Somalia is my outside bet, by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                      Cameroon was robbed yesterday. 6th!
                                      My immediate thought was that Brian Moreno was somehow involved

The groups are ridiculously uneven.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                                        Somalia is my outside bet, by the way.
                                        Agree with that, though Micronesia gives you more stars for your buck with that colour combo. Haven't been keeping up with latest results, but I'd flag up (sorry) both Albania and Mongolia as potential winners. Assuming voters have my impeccable taste of course.

Comment

Having done the favourite flags game with my son countless times when he was younger, can I just say that my choices are Eswatini, Bhutan and the Marshall Islands, probably in that order.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                            Having done the favourite flags game with my son countless times when he was younger, can I just say that my choices are Eswatini, Bhutan and the Marshall Islands, probably in that order.

...since the demise of the Cochin China flag:

Comment

...which seems like a wild ball game!!!

Comment

The banner of Gondor is pretty sweet

Comment

Deciding between Mali and Guinea would be tough

Comment

Working...
                                                  X