Any rock / geology hobbyists here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any rock / geology hobbyists here?

Anyone have any idea what kind of rock this is? Not any heavier than you'd expect it to be, and it's non-magnetic. Has red inclusions.
    Found on a beach where you sometimes find old bricks and other stone construction debrise that's now used for a breakwater. Thought maybe coal-slag, but it's totally non-magnetic.

Why would coal be magnetic?

Comment

I love rocks, but don't know much about them. Maybe these links would help?

https://mdl.library.utoronto.ca/coll...eology-ontario
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geology_of_Ontario
      https://www.ogsrlibrary.com/publicat...y_maps_ontario

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
        Why would coal be magnetic?
        Coal slag is (from what I've learned) magnetic because it's created through the smelting of iron. It becomes contaminated to the point where it's magnetic. Coal slag is a waste product.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
          I love rocks, but don't know much about them. Maybe these links would help?
          Ah, very good. I've been googling for something that looks similar, but nothing so far. I'm sure it's nothing, but I was hoping for a meteorite.

Comment

As an expert geologist, I can reveal: Your rock has a likeness of a Gummibear/little man on it, in profile. Top left area.

Comment

asphalt?

Comment

Definitely not asphalt. I spend a horribly hot summer working in the medium and this ain't it. It's definitely molten in some fashion, though.

Comment

Looks a little bit like obsidian but I've asked a geologist mate if he's got any ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                    Looks a little bit like obsidian but I've asked a geologist mate if he's got any ideas.
                    Lovely...thank you!

Comment

He reckons that it's man-made, WOM.

Comment

Yeah. Looks to me like some kind of industrial waste product that solidified in water.

Comment

Have you run a Geiger counter over it?

Comment

The Geiger counter has been in the shop since last Wednesday, wouldn't you know it?

Thanks NocSub, that was my feeling. I suspect coal slag based on what I've read. We're not too far from Hamilton, and they've probably been pumping this stuff out of the Stelco and Dofasco plants for 75 years. Apparently it's used as construction rubble and as ships' ballast, so having it show up on a beach wouldn't surprise me.

Comment

It looks to me - and I admit to not being an expert - like it's somebody from the future testing their time machine, but the time machine isn't working very well yet so it basically turned them into a lump of melted carbon.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                Definitely not asphalt. I spend a horribly hot summer working in the medium and this ain't it. It's definitely molten in some fashion, though.
                                I spent a week in winter on a steam roller flattening the stuff. Good fun.

Comment

I've got an interesting bit of rock too. I know where it's from though. Up.

Comment

Working...
                                  X