Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a cargo cult.

Comment

Instead of mealy-mouthed bland platitudes about "waste" in public spending, indistinguishable from a Tory message and hence just an exercise in competitive advertising for different soap brands, Labour should be protesting at every sodding opportunity about the specific nature of the waste currently happening - the utterly rampant dishing out of billions of public money in corrupt contracts with the Tories' friends and donors. Step up and do your job of opposition, for crying out loud. It has never been more needed, nor less done.

Comment

Excellent points EEG.

Comment

Labour should be protesting at every sodding opportunity about the specific nature of the waste currently happening - the utterly rampant dishing out of billions of public money in corrupt contracts with the Tories' friends and donors
          Indeed. And that means confronting the political choices and ideology behind privatisation and cronyism, and repudiating them.

Which is why Sensible Labour won't do it.

Comment

Getting more like Boris Johnson every day

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1349442484993220611?s=20

Comment

I've kind of given up on Labour right now. Not in the sense that I won't vote for them (I still will, despite it all), but because they're bloody useless.

Comment

The thing with Animal Farm was that Napoleon acquired power before he turned into Mr Jones.

Comment

I don't mind him having a column in the Telegraph per se; depends what he says in it.

Comment

Why the hell would a labour leader have a column in the Telegraph?

Comment

To help rebuild the Red Wall, silly.

Comment

Yeah copies of the Telegraph fly off the shelves in Burnley

Comment

Perhaps it's me but there are so many open goals on offer, and I mean the sort of open goal that allows you to spend five minutes dribbling the ball from the halfway line at shuffling pace, another five minutes to choose the exact blade of grass on the goal line where you'd like to place the ball with the sole of your foot, then another five minutes wondering which part of your body you'll use to knock the ball over the line.

Labour doesn't need to move towards the Tories to manufacture a demand for their message, the big political events of the last decade naturally point their way. We've suffered the needless choice of austerity, the calling of a needless referendum for political expediency, the aftermath of the needless referendum, the casual cruelty of welfare reform, the championing of the GIG economy as a world for brave explorers and the response to Covid.

The day to day stuff could also point their way as well. Think of the quality of ministerial appointments, the legion of "ordinary", never mind scandalous, day to day mistakes and the sheer hypocritical opportunism of appealing to "the red wall" over the last 18 months.

The larger argument also points towards a path away from the Tories. As a rather gross simplification we swapped the 35 odd years of the Keynesian experiment with aspirations of full employment and a social safety net for 41 years of Pinochet's favourite way to fight inflation. Yet it turns out prices have still risen in our system, it's "natural" apparently, another natural outcome of our system is a person reapplying for their own job, only with reduced benefits.

Again you don't have to move towards the Tories to say that perhaps, maybe, possibly, our present social experiment might be, possibly, could be, a busted flush that doesn't really help most people within a society. We could, possibly, might even go so far as trying things in a different way, especially as there are quite a few well-known economists that say another way might be possible.

People are crying out for a fairer, more utilitarian, system and not just in the UK. At an Erasmus meeting a couple of years ago I was in a small group with a Slovenian and an Italian, the Slovenian said "We tried Communism, and we've tried market capitalism, perhaps there's a better , more fairer way in between them,?", the Italian nodded along in agreement.

You can get Gremio shirts for 25 quid now so anything may be possible.
                          Last edited by Kowalski; 13-01-2021, 22:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
                            People are crying out for a fairer, more utilitarian, system and not just in the UK
                            Agreed. But Dan Hodges, David Aaronovitch and Jonathan Freedland would be furious, so you're just not having it I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

Agreed. But Dan Hodges, David Aaronovitch and Jonathan Freedland would be furious, so you're just not having it I'm afraid.
                              In my moment of euphoric clarity I totally forgot about the gatekeepers for human possibility, consequently I humbly withdraw my ideas forthwith.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

The text of the FT piece I asked about
                                Thanks nef. It's awful, isn't it? With pretty much no detail, yet even so you can tell how terrible they plan Labour's policy to be.

And then the fucking Daily Telegraph. What a fucking piece of shit he is. Absolute filth.
                                Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 14-01-2021, 08:12.

Comment

https://twitter.com/mattzarb/status/1349321625880113152?s=20

Comment

Annelise Dodds is now officially the most right wing of her family. Ahead of Diane and Nigel...

Comment

James Meadway who was McDonnell advisor says it's not so bad

https://twitter.com/meadwaj/status/1349623830671749121?s=20

Comment

Never been a fan of Meadway, personally, but anyway - I think dismissing it as "FT spin" is...well, let's say naive.

Comment

My problem with it is as an entire Wembley Stadium of people are dead, with more each day to fill a decent sized concert venue, with food shortages on supermarket shelves, with blatant ripoffs of Government funds to provide the poorest children with not enough nutrition, they are fucking around with trying to present economic policies that they'll never get to implement in order to try and impress people who will never vote for them.

I do think Labour need policies and a vision and a strategy and all that. But right now, with a Government presenting them with five open goals every single day, they are still huddled on the sidelines going through tactics on an iPad.

Or something.

Edit: Kowalski’s was better.
                                          Last edited by Snake Plissken; 14-01-2021, 10:13.

Comment

Is there a worse (as in clueless, inefficient) opposition party anywhere else in the "free" world? I can't think of one.

Comment

Stand down everybody, looks like the Telegraph story was a pick-up from a one-line joke in an Independent article, now amended.

Comment

Saw this meme on Twitter. Punchy.

Comment

It's striking that that is all men.

Comment

What an odd meme.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X