Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not least this one... https://twitter.com/BBCBreakfast/sta...56165040148485

Comment

I'm so embarrassed he's my MP. Unfortunately it's not only a safe Labour seat but the Tories usually come second. I would vote Green or even LD to try and unseat him.

https://twitter.com/itsjacksonbbz/status/1277571145026490374

Comment

yes, here's just a couple...

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1277541977505124354?s=20

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1277510249092702209?s=20

Comment

https://twitter.com/Okwonga/status/1277652869118861321?s=20

Comment

Labour is turning into the Democratic party.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ayocaesar/status/1277643156927000577?s=21

Comment

We're back to "Shoot the kitten and the puppy." aren't we?

Comment

This thread

https://twitter.com/alex_niven/status/1277878319518793728?s=21

Comment

Yeah, he's a good bloke, is Alex and I agree with all of that.

Comment

Quite enjoy the way that this highlights the nature of the IHRA definition

https://dorseteye.com/formal-complai...ix-labour-mps/

Comment

This is a good piece - an interview with Mark Zarb Cousin

How they relate to the government: it’s a deliberate strategy, it’s wrong. It failed in 2015. It will fail again.

How they relate to the public: All of their messaging is directed at Labour leavers who shifted to the Tories in 2019 in ‘Red Wall’ seats, predominantly older, white women, the Labour Leave women went disproportionately to the Tories. All of the stuff about BLM is stuff Starmer is saying -- such as in the Nick Ferrari interview on LBC when he was talking about the statues — is not clumsy but deliberate. But if you orientate all your messaging to that demographic -- because you were a Remain figurehead -- that makes sense but it will have consequences, that loses him young people and ethnic minorities.

Comment

He's calculating that young people and ethnic minorities have nowhere else to go. He may be right, but it's still a) depressing, b) risky and c) lacking in moral responsibility

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                            He's calculating that young people and ethnic minorities have nowhere else to go. He may be right, but it's still a) depressing, b) risky and c) lacking in moral responsibility
                            Two places that many of them are likely to go come next election day:

1 Nowhere (near a polling station)

2 The Conservatives, if Labour offer only a limp choice

Ps here's the summarised result from the GE (England only)

Tory + Brexit 49%
                            Labour 34%
                            LibDem + Green 15%
                            Others 2%
                            Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 30-06-2020, 14:39.

Comment

Taking voters for granted cos they've nowhere else to go is what destroyed SLab, and what allowed "the Red Wall" Oop North to crumble in the first place. You can't out racist these Tories, they'll never win back the Female Gammon vote anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                There's a possibility that a lot of what Starmer is doing - the reticence in calling for the heads of Cummings (he did in the end) and Jenrick, the sacking of RLB, the belittling of BLM while sticking uo for the police - will be an electoral winner. That doesn't mean it is the right thing for a Labour Party - A LABOUR PARTY - to do. Barking up a well worn tree, Blair was eminently electable. As you say, it is depressing and lacking in moral responsibility.

As it happens, I think he is throwing a lot of bones to the media that will remain untouched in three years time and dividing the party in a manner that will be picked apart around that time.

Comment

Anyone would have won when Blair won. The trouble is he did so
                                  littld with his huge majority to right the wrongs that needed addressing - except in the first term - and were still paying for much of that through PFI

so much else of what he did was dire. Much was unforgivable

Comment

I wonder. John Smith would have obviously won. Would Brown? I suppose so but I am not sure it would be nailed on. Corbyn wouldn't have.

Gah, here I am talking not only about the Labour Party but about Blair. You bastards. Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in.

Comment

You brought him up.

I can't believe the extent to which Starmer has disappointed me- I thought he would be a decently right winger who would maintain at least some of the policies that were both popular and necessary.

instead he seems to be listening to a deeply unpleasant gang of right wingers who haven't won an election for 15 years, who lost Scotland and the North and are utterly without imagination on more or less everything

Comment

Exactly how I feel. I wasn't exactly jumping for joy when he was elected but quite happy to see how he panned out and give him the benefit of the doubt. Not only the pandering of the RLB decision but the appalling way it overshadowed Jenrick and then the BLM remarks have really pissed me off. As I said elsewhere, being a white middle class middle-aged man, I am hardly for police defunding but, for the supposedly "forensic" Starmer to condescend against the grain of the mood of the moment. shows his priorities.

Comment

https://twitter.com/jrschlosberg/status/1278045410339233793?s=20

we needed Harold Wilson (or Barbara Castle)

We got Owen Smith

Comment

Jude Wanga (on Twitter as `judeinlondon) has written for LRB

Labour and Starmer seem to think that the Jewish voters who have turned their backs on the party are simply waiting to be won back. They seem to think they have a right to Jewish votes, just as they presumed for decades that they had a right to the red wall vote. They also seem to be ignoring the fact that most Jewish voters abandoned Labour not under Corbyn but before the 2015 election.

What’s missing is an analysis that accepts that broad communities and identities may change. Maybe a significant number of British Jews are, like much of the rest of Britain, open to voting Conservative. Maybe red wall voters are now committed to a vision of the country that rejects the outlook of its major cities, where Labour’s core vote – for now – remains.

Identities – Black, Asian, Jewish, white, working-class, northern, Scottish, Welsh etc – are not all fixed (or separate) demographics with no fluidity of thought or nuance. The Labour Party views them as datasets to be analysed and manipulated, as opposed to humans with complex and contradictory thoughts. There may be a simple way to put off most Black voters – the Tories have managed it for decades – but there is no easy way to win them over as a single bloc.

Labour faces multiple problems that are the result of long-term decline. Not for the first time, centrists in the party are seeking short term solutions. It’s possible that purging the left will allow British Jews to feel more comfortable voting Labour in 2024, but the party still needs to address why they abandoned it under its first Jewish leader.

It can try to appeal to the red wall with dogwhistle overtures to anti-immigration sentiments, military patriotism and a ‘strong state’ push, but it would do better to address the fact that the NRS social grades are no longer adequate for analysing class. A home-owning electrician in Redcar on ?50,000 a year has more in common with a London banker than with a Deliveroo delivery rider. Cultural identities have been forged with more strength than some class identities.

I'd just add that there are probably less than a quarter of a million British Jews

Comment

Isn't the Jewish Chronicle the rather right-wing labour-party-hating newspaper? Should I trust their 2015 poll?

Comment

It was done by Survation and looks decent.

https://survation.com/wp-content/upl...oll-Tables.pdf

Nef, how politically active is the Haredi community in the UK?

Comment

Thanks

Comment

It was a bit dodgy if I recall in terms of where and how they found their Jews

`(preselected on the basis of "Likely Jewish Identity")

The Haredi are interesting in that in London anyway their Mp's are likley to be Jeremy Corbyn or Dianne Abbott.

both have always had excllent relationships with their consituencies. Some have stood for Labour in council elections in Hackney. Stamford Hill is the largest Haredi area.

Gateshead - across the River Tyne from Newcastle is the other important place - it has the largest Haredi Yeshiva

Comment

Working...
                                                    X