Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sir Keir Starmer - Labour Party Leader

Let's detail the ups and downs on here.

Health permitting, I suspect that he's going to be in the job for a long time.

If the BBC keep pointedly calling him "Sir Keir" he's not going to win back the popular working class support from good old bumbling Boris.

Comment

Question for the Labour Party experts on here - how much freedom of choice does a Labour leader actually have re the make up of the shadow cabinet? I vaguely recall that the list of names is pre-selected for him by some kind of membership-wide vote and all he can do is allocate the names to the posts - is that still the case?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
        If the BBC keep pointedly calling him "Sir Keir" he's not going to win back the popular working class support from good old bumbling Boris.
        I don't think the Beeb are intentionally trying to undermine him by calling him "Sir Kier", more following protocol. I can only imagine the e-mails and letters they would recieve from monarchist middle England should they fail to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
          Question for the Labour Party experts on here - how much freedom of choice does a Labour leader actually have re the make up of the shadow cabinet? I vaguely recall that the list of names is pre-selected for him by some kind of membership-wide vote and all he can do is allocate the names to the posts - is that still the case?
          That used to be the case until Ed Miliband scrapped the annual election of the Shadow Cabinet (cheered on by the Progress tendency) - now it is purely the Leader's choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

I don't think the Beeb are intentionally trying to undermine him by calling him "Sir Kier", more following protocol. I can only imagine the e-mails and letters they would recieve from monarchist middle England should they fail to do so.
            Course they fucking are, as Steve Ignorant would say. They couldn't give a toss about Ruritanian protocol (or what the mass of monarchy fans think).

Their news services need to be abolished, or sent on a Long March to the rougher interfaces of BT14

Comment

He has to tread a fine line initially - laying off Johnson for the sake of "national unity" and all that.

Comment

He’s started by writing an article and putting it behind the Times’ paywall.

So that’s reassuring.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post

Course they fucking are, as Steve Ignorant would say. They couldn't give a toss about Ruritanian protocol (or what the mass of monarchy fans think).

Their news services need to be abolished, or sent on a Long March to the rougher interfaces of BT14
                  Yup, unless I'm mis-remembering there was very little use of Sir Keir before yesterday. Of course a title is like catnip to people who work in the London media so it might be that malicious.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                    He’s started by writing an article and putting it behind the Times’ paywall.

So that’s reassuring.
                    There's a few people getting upset by that who weren't getting upset about Corbyn's final article being in the Telegraph the other day. Storm in a teacup.

Comment

This sir bollocks is irritating to be around. Bloke I’d known very slightly for years ended up being knighted. From being generally known by an abbreviation of his first name loads started hoying sir in front of it and a few pulled those up quietly who didn’t. He or his Mrs nivver made a fuss apparently.
                      It may even help pull a few floating idiot votes back from the edge once the current crisis settles and the reality of what they voted for bites.

Comment

Starmer could follow Tony Benn or John Lennon and just renounce it

Comment

Originally posted by That Night In Barcelona View Post

Yup, unless I'm mis-remembering there was very little use of Sir Keir before yesterday. Of course a title is like catnip to people who work in the London media so it might be that malicious.
                          You are mis-remembering. A quick search on the BBC site just with the words Starmer and Brexit turns up loads of occasions of the Sir prefix.
                          I'm not saying that BBC news aren't still deep in the pocket of Johnson and his cronies, just that they are generally held to account by people with ridiculous levels of pomposity and perceived indignance when dealing with matters of etiquette and titles in comparison to other media outlets.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                            Starmer could follow Tony Benn or John Lennon and just renounce it
                            That would be solid gold for the right wing press.

Comment

Can I just say that since yesterday I have become re-reenergised in politics now that I've realised that the grown ups are back involved.

I have now rejoined the Labour Party twice in the last ten minutes.

PROPER POLITICS FOR PROPER GROWN UPS.

Comment

I have also reapplied to go to University so I can join the NUS with the view to becoming a swashbuckling national president by 2025, a Special Advisor by 2027 and an MP in a safe seat by 2030, (which will be a packed evening before the Nine o'clock news, I THANK YOW!!!!)

Comment

He's awful. I actually watched Marr today. Well a bit of it anyway, including the Starmer interview. Terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

That would be solid gold for the right wing press.
                                    As others suggest above, the media will act the cunt whatever Starmer does.

I don't recall Lennon or Benn's careers ending post gong return

As a child, I was told repeatedly (most often by my lifelong Labour mother) that I must defer to the Monarchy/ Church/ Orange Order/ whoever, and more importantly to adults indignant at any criticism of them. I laughed and ignored her

Years later I was chided at work for drafting a letter for my boss to send to the Duke of Norfolk. "No, I've been polite and respectful. To me he's Mr Howard until he invites me to call him Greville"

Comment

If Labour and its members are already beginning the new era on the defensive then that's bad news all round.

Comment

Modi-apologist Barry Gardiner's binned off from the Shadow Cabinet. Good.

Comment

Will wait to see what he's replaced with before celebrating.

Comment

Annaliese Dodds should be Ok as shadow chancellor, that's a reasonably good appointment.

Not sure about Nandy as foreign sec; thought they'd give her Local Government and Communities or whatever

If RLB doesn't get anything that'll be, er, interesting.

Comment

Lisa Nandy doesn’t like foreigners

Comment

RLB should get Environment, she's the architect of the GND.

Comment

Won’t that be Miliband

Comment

Working...
                                                  X