No announcement yet.

Sir Keir Starmer - Labour Party Leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ed Miliband's a decent, progressive social democrat who was hamstrung by a New Labour strategic outlook and way of framing things. Unleashed from that, he's been good. Same goes for Burnham, who came across at his very worst in his two leadership campaigns. Give him a proper progressive job to do though, and he'll do it.

The worry with Starmer is whether he's even got the political-values ballast that Miliband and Burnham have. He's barely been a Labour party member for much more than a decade, let alone someone schooled in parliamentary political struggles.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
      The worry with Starmer is whether he's even got the political-values ballast that Miliband and Burnham have
      The worry with Starmer is trying to make a decent list of basic Labour Party ideals and principles he adheres to.

Comment

If it weren't too early, I'd be having a drinking game for every time Starmer mentions families at PMQs.

Comment

I'd have Miliband before Burnham, tbh. But agree they are both bend-with-the-wind could-be-ok-in-the-right-circs types.

Comment

Yeah, I'm still pretty fond of Miliband too - very badly advised what with immigration mugs and stone tablets, but essentially a decent and intelligent man. I wish he'd been the post-Corbyn leader rather than the post-Brown one.

Comment

I see you've made the same valid point among the beyond self-parodic and ridiculous Corbyn-obsessed Centrist Dadfest that is poor Wingco's FB page. Corbyn will live in their heads for decades to come, in place of any actual politics.

Comment

I have to say that "As editor of a magazine representing the interests of 500,000 British workers" made me proper LOL.

I should probably delete this. And probably will.

Comment

What was that a reference to? Is he a trade union mag ed?

Comment

Haha. No. I looked it up. And got another laugh.

Comment

I didn't see that mag bit. I assume it's that full on racist guy who regularly appears on wingco's wall to talk about Corbyn or cheer on the IDF

Comment

Haha. No. I looked it up. And got another laugh.
                        Heh, so did I. Is that the new thing for journalists then, that we "represent" and speak on behalf of everyone who happens to read our publications?

I assume it's that full on racist guy who regularly appears on wingco's wall to talk about Corbyn or cheer on the IDF
                        Nah, not him this time, though he spouts some fatuous, lightly hysterical bollocks on the same thread

Comment

Oh god. I'd skipped over that 500,000 working class readers comment. I've looked him up now too. I imagine more like 500,000 Alan Partidges

(500,000 my arse. That must be clicks not readers)

Comment

Yes it was a magnificent "Plain people of England" Partridge-ism

Comment

It's nothing to do with readers or clicks, I don't think. It's the number of people who work in the industry concerned.

Comment

Heh, so did I. Is that the new thing for journalists then, that we "represent" and speak on behalf of everyone who happens to read our publications?
                                Every cunt of a newspaper editor in my lifetime has invoked this idea to explain why they should have the ear of the PM, and why attacks on their ability to be cunty are in fact attacks on the people they represent, and tantamount to calling the good yeomanry of England a pack of cunts.

Comment

I see you've made the same valid point among the beyond self-parodic and ridiculous Corbyn-obsessed Centrist Dadfest that is poor Wingco's FB page. Corbyn will live in their heads for decades to come, in place of any actual politics.
                                  Yeah - they basically ignored me though, because I wasn't talking about Corbyn. They are seriously obsessed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post

Yeah - they basically ignored me though, because I wasn't talking about Corbyn. They are seriously obsessed.
                                    Not half. And there is zero self awareness. Racist boy just said that the problem Labour has is the Labour left's obsession with Corbyn. You couldn't make this shit up

Comment

I want to read the full horror of wingco's facebook page.

Comment

I avoid it myself, for the sake of my sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by wingco View Post
                                          I avoid it myself, for the sake of my sanity.
                                          well if the last four years of Labour politics have taught us anything it's that everyone is responsible for the contents of their facebook page. not just what they write on it, but for anything that anyone else writes on it, and indeed what those other people have written on other pages, or have written on pages that other people have written on.

So you are your own centrist mate, wingco

Comment

Can't believe I'm now Tweeting hashtag fucklabour.

But seriously, fuck them for blaming JC for wasting time and money on a court case.

Comment

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1354829187379560449?s=20

Comment

Just imagine if that had happened to any of the current front bench, or Jess Phillips.

Thank heavens he didn’t get ill.

Comment

It would seem that Sir Keith has called for the creation of "Nightingale Classrooms" in an article because he wants to help "PUT THE GREAT BACK INTO BRITAIN TO BE A WORLD-LEADING BLAH BLAH".

Where's the forensic long-game tactical nous here? There is already a plan to fully reopen schools n time. Why is he wasting his time and energy in arguing for something that's already going to happen?

Why is he yet again possibly risking further alienation with an existing constituency in order to appeal to a nebulous constituency that Labour are meant to target? Why does he appear keen to add a little more stress to the general malaise of stress that people are already surrounded by?

It's not only the pointlessness it's the terminology as well, Is he seriously suggesting that we build temporary schools because normal schools are already open to the children of key workers and vulnerable workers? Or is he suggesting that we should reclassify schools as emergency "Nightingale Schools" so we can allow learners back in to education until they're allowed to go back to schools whereupon the "Nightingale Schools" will revert to their status as normal schools again? Are we do do this in the next few weeks whilst the virus is still circulating?

it's bad enough that "Nightingale Classrooms" sounds like riffing from The Thick Of It but the phrase is already redundant; remote learning has already created "Nightingale Classrooms" in houses all over the UK.
                                                  Last edited by Kowalski; 31-01-2021, 21:23.

Comment

He seems to be under the misapprehension that there is a political constituency available which views Johnson's as having failed because schools are closed and that getting them open under any circumstances is something everyone wants. I have no idea who these people are and whether they exist. All I can report is that everyone I know sees school closures as a major league pain in the arse but equally a very necessary thing until the virus is controlled. Literally no-one is concerned to put kids into school ahead of getting that virus controlled. The fact that the government were mad for doing this just after Xmas and had to be forced back by a rolling rebellion of people saying they wouldn't send their kids in seems to have slipped their minds.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X