No announcement yet.

Sir Keir Starmer - Labour Party Leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember- It's not antisemitism if you're upper class or a Tory. It's tradition

https://twitter.com/MarxmanHart/status/1247521051824672771?s=20

Comment

Osborne tweeted this as Starmer wrote a grovelling apology in the Standard.

They know exactly what they're doing.

Anti Semitism is fine. Criticism of Israel isn't.

Comment

Hopefully Starmer turns Labour into an effective opposition that holds this really nasty and second rate government to account.

Comment

I know it's old ground... I can imagine that the Skripal response didn't make much impact itself, but being seen to not want to criticise Moscow might have reinforced the belief that Corbyn was still fighting old battles, the same way that his EU skepticism seemed to come out of a Bennite tradition which made it look anachronistic and ancient when Brexit was being driven by a much more racist right wing EU skepticism.

Comment

Going a bit off topic here but I did see some centrists on Twitter complaining that the Left fetishised the victims of austerity, and that they used it to shut down any argument. I was astonished.

Comment

Yeah, that’s bollocks.

Comment

Starmer's proposals for party reform announced

The measures currently being proposed by Starmer are the following:
                1. Recruit a truly representative set of candidates for future elections.
                2. Provide better access for disabled members.
                3. Become campaign innovators – by “creating and maintaining a leading technology position”.
                4. Make the selections for Labour candidates more democratic and end NEC impositions of candidates.
                5. Set up an assembly of members and trade unionists to look at how we can develop policy in a more democratic way.
                6. Launch a “transparency revolution” – making public the membership of key committees and allowing members to communicate with their representatives on the NEC.
                7. Scrap the NCC and create an independent body to deal with complaints.
                8. Establish a review to explore how we can encourage more party members to become active in their trade unions and more trade unionists in the Labour Party.

Comment

They're good - however, that's not an announcement as such, that was his leadership pitch back in February.

Comment

According to Michael Walker Private Eye are going to reveal the name of one of Starmer's backers who also backed Change UK.

Comment

Just coming back late on that Oborne piece linked a page or two back. Excellent piece by an excellent writer and I completely agree with his main points, that history will rightly credit Corbyn with being right, visionary and influential on the big issues of resisting overseas military interventions and pushing for radical social and economic policy change to recover some of the post-war settlement destroyed by recent decades of neo-liberalism. Hopefully Starmer will keep most of that and unite the party behind it.

My objection to Corbyn was not about the big policy issues (apart from Brexit where I think he got it badly wrong), but his abysmal lack of judgment on the smaller issues, especially personnel matters. No amount of being right on the big issues can excuse his giving a key role at the centre of the party’s machine to the on-record Stalin apologist, just stop and think on that for ten seconds, an actual Stalin apologist, Andrew Murray.

Comment

Policies. Hmmmm. There’s gonna have to be a massive change in British politics post CV19 for those to become important again.

Comment

Originally posted by tuckwat View Post
                          According to Michael Walker Private Eye are going to reveal the name of one of Starmer's backers who also backed Change UK.
                          Who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
                            What are the other ones for Centrists? “Melts”? “Slugs”? It’s Oscar Wilde wherever you look.
                            Yeah we can thank the likes of Aaron Bastani and Matt Zarb-Cousin for those.

Comment

Originally posted by jeanmid View Post

Yeah we can thank the likes of Aaron Bastani and Matt Zarb-Cousin for those.

Today, 19:56
                              Yes and as you've shown so eloquently those insults have been entirely one way...

Comment

Originally posted by tuckwat View Post
                                Was actually mentioned in last week's Eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

Today, 19:56
                                  Yes and as you've shown so eloquently those insults have been entirely one way...
                                  Whataboutery.

Comment

Originally posted by jeanmid View Post

Whataboutery.
                                    Brilliant- with that insight you should be able. to get your own Times column soon

You arrive back here to insult a young woman journalist. You then insulted Jeremy Corbyn and his supporters and were then unable to come up with a policy proposal of your own, despite several requests,

If you could reach the level of "whataboutery" that would be a major advance in your political debating skills,

Comment

Brilliant- with that insight you should be able. to get your own Times column soon

You arrive back here to insult a young woman journalist. You then insulted Jeremy Corbyn and his supporters and were then unable to come up with a policy proposal of your own, despite several requests,

If you could reach the level of "whataboutery" that would be a major advance in your political debating skills,
                                      I do not have to justify myself to you. You want to talk about insult then fine why don't we talk about the way people Jess Phillips are spoken about on here shall we? I mean on this very thread Centrists where referred to as cunts. But apparently that is acceptable and if you want to talk about insults against Corbyn and his supporters then I've heard and said worse.

Oh look what I found

I am boiling with rage having read Julie Burchill's interview with Jess Phillips. I've defended her from time to time, but what a fucking cunt.
                                      So can you explain to me how this is acceptable?
                                      Last edited by jeanmid; 09-04-2020, 12:22.

Comment

jeanmid There is plenty of strong language on this forum but most posters back it up with some constructive opinions of their own instead of merely gainsaying other people's statements.
                                        Last edited by Sporting; 09-04-2020, 11:12.

Comment

To be fair to jeanmid, he did reach the level of whataboutery in that last post.

Comment

Be really interesting to see how Starmer handles himself and if he can get the best out of the shadow cabinet. I don't really follow the who's who of labour much these days but I think we all want a decent and cogent opposition that looks like its in with a chance of governing.

Something that hasn't been the case since 2010 against a trio of utterly shite PMs.

Comment

Why do you keep mentioning her age and gender?

Comment

Just reminding people again of the ignore poster function.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobachevsky View Post
                                                  Be really interesting to see how Starmer handles himself and if he can get the best out of the shadow cabinet. I don't really follow the who's who of labour much these days but I think we all want a decent and cogent opposition that looks like its in with a chance of governing.

Something that hasn't been the case since 2010 against a trio of utterly shite PMs.
                                                  He's got a good balanced team.

Comment

[QUOTE=Lucy Waterman;n22760

Why do you keep mentioning her age and gender?[/QUOTE]

If I were a cynical man I'd say I'd say Nef was trying to imply I'm a misogynist. My disdain of O'Hagan stems from the fact she's an outrider for Corbyn, just as I have a similar disdain for other outriders lime Bastani, Sarkar, Jones.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X