No announcement yet.

Sir Keir Starmer - Labour Party Leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Smith, had he lived, would probably have won nearly as decisively as Blair and I daresay the social effects of his premiership may have been much more far-reaching.

Comment

Ageed that Smith would probably have won in 1997, ditto Brown or pretty much any other Labour leader

Similarly I daresay Burnham, Cooper, Kendall et Al would have lost badly in 2019
      ​​​​​​​

Comment

I was moved to call him a "Johnson suck-up" on twitter earlier.

Comment

Just quibbling slighly at DG's stat about "7 out of 8" in the last 40 years, I think that's stretching things a bit, without really affecting the main point. Only 6 Labour leaders have fought elections in the last 40 years: Foot, Kinnock, Blair, Brown, Miliband and Corbyn. I assume DG gets to 8 by counting Callaghan (whose only election battle prior to his replacement as leader was 41 years ago) and Smith (who didn't live long enough to fight an election). Still, I agree the main point stands - Labour GE victories are much rarer than defeats these days, largely due to the overwhelmingly mendacious and Tory-supporting media.

Comment

Fair point EEG, I stressed/ exaggerated that for effect. BTW my late mother (lifelong Labour despite not being able to vote for them) always said that Callaghan was the only leader since Attlee who hadn't sold out. Although this may have been more to do with the twinkle in his eye than her liking for the Social Contract

Like you- as a member of another opposition party- I'm a bit glum about Labours current woes. Not just because of the smears against Corbyn, but thinking ahead to 2024 when Starmer will likely take a beating worse than 2017's

Comment

This is a bit disappointing

i thought Dodds was better than this

https://twitter.com/lexdavies3/status/1288172924420141057?s=21

Comment

This is where I get a bit irritated with hot takes on social media. Starmer didn't mention the wealth tax in his ten pledges, he talked about income/corporate tax - they are entirely different things.

A wealth tax could be a very good idea, and Dodds did mention it a few weeks ago only to drop it now. Bad messaging, as well as policy.

But the performative anger that tweets like that are meant to engender does nobody any favours.

Comment

I'd not read that before. He actually used "forensic" in his "ten pledges". Knobber.

Comment

I wondered whether to put this in the Brexit thread but it will be better here. Even ostensible Labour supporters who campaigned for a second referendum and NoCorbyns think Starmer should only be allowed to be deputy PM. (And I'm not criticising Starmer for once, just showing their mindset.)

https://twitter.com/bojack90s/status/1290354720800940032
                    Last edited by Snake Plissken; 04-08-2020, 10:05.

Comment

What johnr said above (all of it).

The Lex Davies tweeted comment about Starmer's pledges that Nef posted above is *literally* 100 per cent factually wrong. Hashtag lying twats like Lex Davies off Twitter.

Comment

Snake, I don't think that tweet you posted above shows anybody's mindset apart from Robert Harris's.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                          Snake, I don't think that tweet you posted above shows anybody's mindset apart from Robert Harris's.

TBH it was so fanciful I'm not sure that Harris was being serious. If he was I'll be generous and assume that he'd inadvertently slipped into novelist mode for a few minutes.

Comment

https://twitter.com/LabourHame/status/1290542386976821248

this seems, optimistic.

Comment

Hahahahahahahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                I completely disagree. It is a perfect distillation of the denial mindset He was very prominent in the PV campaign and like a lot of #FBPEers is coming up with nice little solutions to Make It All Go Away. Jeremy Hunt and Kier Starmer in a government of National Unity* to Fix Brexit is acceptable when Jeremy Corbyn and Nicola Sturgeon in the same position to actually Stop Brexit wasn't. Stopping Brexit without stopping the things that led to Brexit.

Nocturnal Submission Nothing about Robert Harris has ever suggested that he has much of a sense of humour

*ignoring that 80 seat majority and the machinations of Gove and Sunak

Comment

Someone’s view on the idea of a government of national unity is a great way to find out if a person is a political cunt.

Hothersall’s piece is vapid tripe. As Starmer is the wish fulfilment for people who wanted D Miliband to play greatest centrist hits with feeling, as if they will now find an audience because the calibre of the messenger is all, Hothersall seems to think reheating the glory days of Wendy Alexander will do the trick, providing all the Corbynites get kicked out. I can hear his clarion call for wee Dougie from here.

Comment

This seems to explain who Duffield is.

Lazy headline chaser, who will be adored by the media as she neglects her consituency

Comment

here it comes

their racist WhatsApp messages in the official work WHatsApp group

https://twitter.com/ta_mills/status/1291431677257023492?s=20

Comment

I don't expect much from the Guardian these days, but I'd have hoped for a better headline. One that didn't present a claim made by the 'injured party' as if it had been proven.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurgee View Post
                                          I don't expect much from the Guardian these days, but I'd have hoped for a better headline. One that didn't present a claim made by the 'injured party' as if it had been proven.
                                          not been reading it for the last 4 years, then?

Comment

Diane Abbott speaks
                                            https://twitter.com/hackneyabbott/status/1291637714132099072?s=21

Comment

This looks like dynamite

dont imagine anything will be done about it, but it’s fascinating to see quite how much effort all those saying how important a Labour Government is put in to ensure one didn’t happen.

https://twitter.com/joerryle/status/1291654835620782081?s=21

Comment

It tallies with much that I've heard from others on the inside. Sub-Gareth Keenan patheticness really.

Comment

Taking the leader’s computers away. The childishness of a group of entitled no-hopers who never outgrew student politics.

no wonder the Labour Party is usually so shit.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X