Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
    Is that for real?
    It is real in so far as it comes from his Twitter feed but it is a very odd looking photo.

Comment

I thought todays was tying himself in knots trying not to sack Steve Reed for anti-semitism.

Comment

Is Desmond Jewish? I never knew that.

Comment

Both parents, apparently.

Comment

IIRC my Private Eye correctly, he’s come a long way from goose stepping around the boardroom table in front of German investors.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
              Is Desmond Jewish? I never knew that.
              Didn't prevent him from the Daily Express he owned supporting Marine LePen and a party with a long history of Holocaust denial

Comment

I felt that I had to post this quote from the Guardian article here as well the Sunak's free money thread.

In an immaculate house a 15-minute walk from Leigh town centre live NHS nurses Keith and Jacqueline Park – though not for long. They are soon to downsize to a nearby bungalow, and the stamp duty cut has come at just the right time.

“Before this, we were thinking of changing the kitchen in the bungalow, but weren’t sure, as it’s quite nice already. But now we know we will be saving a few thousand pounds we will go ahead,” said Keith, 68.

He recently retired from the NHS, where he worked for years as an infectious diseases nurse. He felt able to vote Tory only after burying his dad – “He’d kill me!” – and said he was primarily motivated by a desire to cut immigration in a borough that is 97% white. “Whole sections of Leigh that are colonised with new entrants,” he said in March, claiming that when he used to do contact tracing for TB, almost all the new infections came from asylum seekers from Africa and the Middle East.

He was disappointed that Sunak had not announced anything to try to
                recruit the 43,000 nurses the NHS needs.

“Think of all the excess deaths we’ve had from Covid-19; more than 44,000 of them have been in my age group, the over-65s,” he said. “Surely the government has saved money as a result? That’s 44,000 fewer pensions the government is paying each week, plus they have probably saved a fortune in care home fees, too. I’d like to see that money going into the NHS, not just hospitality.”
                There will be at least slippage from, if not a complete repudiation of, a Corbyn-type manifesto at the next election but surely Labour cannot pander to such callous indifference. "Surely the government has saved money...." He's a ex-nurse FFS. Just when I thought I'd reached the very bottom of my contempt reservoir I find a dredger has created more capacity.

I'd be really interested to see just how widespread this type of thinking is in "ex-Labour" voting types.
                Last edited by Kowalski; 09-07-2020, 13:23.

Comment

I've written before how about many ex-Labour voters were actually right-wing cunts who voted Labour out of familial habit, and as class dealignment reaches its apogee, brexit has given them the excuse to go over to a side they have culturally been itching to vote for for donkeys years.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/YSAB87/status/1281147440394129413[/URL]

Comment

My hometown MP before Gordon Brown was a right wing Old Labour fucker, now a Brexity homo/transphobic old souse in the Lords. However bad the New Labour careerist slimey fuckers were, the old school safe seat dross was even worse. But they prob did reflect the views of their base as well.
                      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 09-07-2020, 15:20.

Comment

Class dealignment has been with us for a long time if we consider the fact that The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists was published over a century ago but it's still depressing to know that ex-NHS-employees hold negative opinions about groups of people.

Our friend has been working in a sector whose raison d'etre is looking after people yet he's so comfortable holding divisive and callous views he's willing to express them to a journalist from a national newspaper. The daily grind may have gradually blunted a once sunny disposition but how does it totally dispel care for our fellow citizens?

I don't work for the NHS and even I managed to locate a document that tells the reader that the number of TB cases in the UK is on a downward trend, and personal experience tells me that the UK offers a BCG inoculation, yet he feels able to dispense words about "THEM and THEIR diseases" to a national newspaper.

On the one hand the prospect of progressive political change seems unlikely; in my lifetime class-consciousness has been diluted because erstwhile large-scale workforces have been atmomised by deindutrialisation and the market economy. On the other hand we can't give up hope, enough people must want a government with a progressive outlook and an economy that provides decent employment prospects. Perhaps the internet may perform the a virtual organising role like a sort of virtual union by drawing attention to principles, rights and ideas.

That said, I'm not so hopeful about the next four years. We may end with a government that's not Tory but that's all we'll get. The crusade carried out by the only sensible adults in the room will not only rid Labour of Corbynism it will also rid Labour of it's "radical" policies because they are linked to Corbyn, even if those "radical" policies were solidly social democratic and chimed with sensible people up and down this land.
                        Last edited by Kowalski; 09-07-2020, 16:54.

Comment

If Labour had a less divisive, more palatable, more sensible, more realistic, more forensic leader in charge they'd be 45 points ahead in the polls by now.

[URL="https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1281601956373508096"]https://twitter.com/britainelects/st...01956373508096[/URL]

Mind you, let us not forget the long game 4 years away from the next election marathon not a sprint against this shambles of a government .
                          Last edited by Kowalski; 10-07-2020, 16:39.

Comment

What a fucked up country this is...

Comment

Some racism is ok for Labour shadow ministers

Luke Smith, a Romany Gypsy rights activist and former Labour Party member who resigned his membership because he felt that the Labour Party was not taking anti-Gypsy and Traveller racism seriously, cautiously welcomed "some of the apology" but said it could go further.

"It's clear that Mr Perkins was racistly using us as a political football to gain votes in his now marginal constituency," said Luke Smith.

"I welcome a lot of what has been said by Mr Perkins in this recent comment. Both Chelsea and myself have offered for further engagement," added Luke.

"Your leaflets have caused real damage to our community and has made Chesterfield a less safe place for GRT. Furthermore it is likely to add further to tensions and mean that GRT will likely face more segregation from public places and services and even worse outcomes.

'I'm not racist but' doesn't cut it.

Comment

https://twitter.com/troovus/status/1281652776674693120?s=21

Comment

That's not actually true though, is it. That's just what a picture of a dog has said online, rather than any actual facts or figures.

Comment

To be fair, any decent leader would be 20 points ahead of this shower.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                      To be fair, any decent leader would be 20 points ahead of this shower.
                                      Don;t forget that Starmer has games in hand, if he wins them all he could be within 4 points of top spot.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                        That's not actually true though, is it. That's just what a picture of a dog has said online, rather than any actual facts or figures.
                                        It is true, though. And your dismissal quotes no facts or figures either.
                                        Last edited by MsD; 11-07-2020, 19:40.

Comment

Comment

Oh looks like there's been some improvements at the Guardian

Comment

Comment

I was told that the party has a very strong legal case against a clique of senior officials who had actively campaigned for the party’s defeat abused senior black mps and delayed action against holocaust deniers.

i applied my forensic legal skills and decided to settle and offer them an apology

https://twitter.com/mattzarb/status/1283495779420774408?s=21

Comment

This too

https://twitter.com/mattzarb/status/1283328171690135552?s=21

seems it’s easier for the current labour leadership now to support the Tories that it is a previous Labour leadership - Even if the Tories are stealing the previous Labour leadership radical but popular policies

Comment

Guardian website at the moment has a headline that says "Labour: party pays out six-figure sum and apologises in antisemitisn row."

​​​​​The photo they've opted to go with the headline is a headshot of Jeremy Corbyn. I thought Keir Starmer was in charge now?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X