No announcement yet.

Sir Keir Starmer - Labour Party Leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reeves. Labour are dead. https://twitter.com/aronkeller/status/1246846567665012738

Comment

And in the modern world, Reeves has decidedly antiquated benefit-claimant-bashing politics too

Comment

Yep. If Labour are "not the party of people on benefits", then how can they expect anyone on benefits to vote for them? Rest assured, I've received that message loud and clear.

Comment

You have to credit the sheer fucking stupidity of this sentient slab of lard. At precisely the moment when loads of people who'd previously been unaware are experiencing the fucking cruelty of the benefits system, he alienates people who depend on benefits at a stroke. He walks right into the "Come and share the blame with us" trap set by Johnson, then writes an article for the Sunday Times, a hate sheet that regularly whips up prejudice against trans people and Muslims.

I am very embarrassed that he's my MP, and will be voting to try and rectify this unfortunate state of affairs. If there's another election, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
            I don't recall Lennon or Benn's careers ending post gong return
            But neither of them got to be PM.

Comment

This group is awfully, umm, white, isn’t it?

Comment

I see the right wing are already throwing mud at him via social media. A post on Facebook was criticising him for the non prosecution of Cyril Smith during his time as DPP. As an ordinary member of the public, I first heard of the allegations around Smith and the alleged cover up in 1990. Starmer doesnt fill me with any confidence that he can turn Labour around but in the long list of folk culpable for Smith getting away with his crimes, I'd suspect he's way down it.

Comment

The stuff against Smith was in Private Eye back in the late seventies...

Comment

Ed Miliband back in the shadow cabinet, doing Business (+E, &IS).

Comment

David Lammy, Shadow Justice · John Healey, Shadow Defence · Ed Miliband, Shadow BEIS · Emily Thornberry, Shadow International Trade · Jonathan Reynolds, Shadow Work and Pensions · Rebecca Long-Bailey, Shadow Education

· Jo Stevens, Shadow Digital, Culture, Media and Sport · Bridget Philipson, Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury · Luke Pollard, Shadow DEFRA · Steve Reed, Shadow Communities and Local Government · Thangam Debbonaire, Shadow Housing

· Jim McMahon, Shadow Transport · Preet Gill, Shadow International Development · Louise Haigh, Shadow Northern Ireland (interim) · Ian Murray, Shadow Scotland · Nia Griffith, Shadow Wales · Marsha de Cordova, Shadow Women and Equalities

Andy McDonald, Shadow Employment Rights and Protections · Rosena Allin-Khan, Shadow Minister for Mental Health · Cat Smith, Shadow Minister for Young People and Voter Engagement · Lord Falconer, Shadow Attorney General·

· Valerie Vaz, Shadow Leader of the House · Nick Brown, Opposition Chief Whip · Baroness Smith, Shadow Leader of the Lords · Lord McAvoy, Lords’ Opposition Chief Whip

Comment

Fairly happy with that, overall, though would have liked a high-profile role for Dawn Butler Brent. Might she get a shadow ministerial post? Also would be good to see Clive Lewis back somewhere.

Comment

I'm not really up on on the PLP's factions, but that looks like a centre-right Shadow Cabinet to me. Yes?

Comment

I think more soft/centre left overall, although as mentioned elsewhere those terms are very imprecise (partly because Labour, in general policy terms, has shifted left over the past few years). Maybe, given inclusion of people from RLB to Philipson, I'd use 'balanced'. There's no Jess Phillips, who may be seen as too divisive a figure.

Comment

When I saw that the Straight Talking "I'll Say It like it is" Queen of Working Class Hearts wasn't named in the shadowy cabinet my heart was broken, tsk tsk,

I shall be canceling one of the party memberships I took out on Saturday evening forthwith.

Comment

Actually, just went and read this, which I think is broadly correct
                                https://twitter.com/MissEllieMae/sta...407784449?s=19

Comment

That seems reasonable.

Comment

Bit surprising that she’s a political journalist and hadn’t heard of the post of Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster. Standards these days.

Comment

The shadow, not the post itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
                                        Bit surprising that she’s a political journalist and hadn’t heard of the post of Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster. Standards these days.
                                        Yeah but this is Ellie Mae O'Hagen about, not the sharpest tool in the box.

Comment

Originally posted by jeanmid View Post

Yeah but this is Ellie Mae O'Hagen about, not the sharpest tool in the box.
                                          Any evidence for that or do you just like calling young left-wing women stupid?

By the way- if you want to call people stupid it's always a good idea to spell their name correctly...
                                          Last edited by Nefertiti2; 06-04-2020, 16:23.

Comment

I thought she was asking her readers the question.

Comment

Also, she absolutely didn't say anything in that thread that anyone could (or did) honestly interpret as her not knowing of the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster position.

[Edit: What Nick said]

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

Any evidence for that or do you just like calling young left-wing women stupid?

By the way- if you want to call people stupid it's always a good idea to spell their name correctly...
                                                No I call people I think are stupid stupid. This applies to those who acted as cheerleaders for a project that helped run the party into the ground. Which Ellie just happens to be.

Comment

(Edit - re: Nick) Talking down rather than ill informed? Possibly, yeah.

Comment

(Edit - re: Nick) Talking down rather than ill informed? Possibly, yeah.
                                                    Perhaps, but I read it as a question, because it is a little known position.

I will say though, that I imagine Ellie Mae O'Hagan has been trolled and the question might be aimed at them.

I mean, she's been called stupid on here.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X