Sir Keir Starmer - Labour Party Leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    Defo a lizard in human skin. You can tell by the teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
      Starmer was on the BBC London local news last night and seriously, bumblingly unimpressive - like even less impressive than he sounded, say, a year ago. You can see where the rumours that he might want out are coming from.

And yeah, Streeting as leader would confirm the conservative sexism of Sensible Centrism. It's the main reason Starmer got the gig in the first place in a field full of women. I mean, taking all the politics out of it, there was no way Nandy would have been a worse communicator and leader than Starmer, even though she is all over the place politically. Looking "prime ministerial" means looking white, male and middle-aged.
      I remember during the CLP nominations stage of the leadership election, a not insignificant number of local parties returned a Starmer/Burgon nomination, too many to go unremarked on given that they weren't exactly easy bedfellows. There's a certain type of Labour Man who will go for the most left wing male in the field - so the only man in the leadership contest and Burgon outscoring Ian Murray on this count

I shall now also point out that every black woman who has ever contested a national leadership election in the Labour Party has finished dead last

Comment

Although in his case his script was written 20 years ago, by Peter Mandelson and David Evans, who are still pumping him full of it at every opportunity. You'd have thought he'd learned his lines by now.

Comment

This is fun https://twitter.com/TomSheldrickITV/...91687548289047

Comment

What a fucking prick. He has the blank eyed bastard expression of Robbie Keane crossed with an ill-prepared supply teacher. Fucking talk to the taxi drivers? Laughable shit, he's so fucking awful. Also, burn that suit.

Comment

Fucking shameless

https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellMP/status/1441347521859575828

Comment

Good from McDonnell

The fear is also that the public may now have a settled opinion of Starmer and, judging from the polls, it’s not one that believes he is a prime minister in waiting. He has abandoned the platform on which he was elected Labour leader, sidelined much of the broad team that got him elected and has reached for the Blairite playbook and resuscitated Blair’s old crew of Peter Mandelson as his consigliere, combined with an appetite for internal factional purges that makes the Kinnock era look tame.

The result is we are witnessing something akin to the performance of a Blairite tribute band with the same old stunts and strategies being rolled out on schedule but with a great deal more venom. It starts with setting up a confrontation with his own party members to demonstrate the strong leader, exercising mastery over his party. Serious political analysis within the party is replaced with meaningless statements that have been focus-grouped to absolute banality. In prospect is a policy review that subjugates a meagre policy programme to the lowest common denominator demands of the rightwing media, big business and the City.
                https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...radical-change

Comment

Sorry to be a downer, but I'm a little uncomfortable with all this slagging off of what Streeting looks like tbh. (He looks pretty unremarkable to me.) There's enough to criticise without that.

Comment

At least they aren't teasing him for being called Wesley

Comment

Steve Bell nailed the glorious leader the other day:
                      Sir Kar Boardbox

Comment

That's a promo picture of Streeting. It's not like he's been papped in his local Asda with sweaty pits after coming from the gym. That's the image he wants to present to the world.

Comment

Are we doing Rayner calling Tories scum again on this thread?
                          As much as I agree with her and happily refer to Tories as scum myself, it does feel like it's soon going to bite her on the arse.
                          Also there's no way that Keith is going to let it slide if the Daily Heil disapprove.

Comment

If they had any bollocks, they would ride out the usual performative outrage. No, actually, if they had any bollocks they'd call it (the performative outrage) out for what it was.

As it is, they will do this.

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1442439606608318466

Comment

I'd have though energy did impact "day-to-day life" but I'm not Very Good At Politics.

https://twitter.com/BBCBreakfast/status/1442378722561114114

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                If they had any bollocks, they would ride out the usual performative outrage. No, actually, if they had any bollocks they'd call it (the performative outrage) out for what it was.

As it is, they will do this.
                                They are just dreadful.

Apparently Reeves is on C4 News later and Newman says she gets worse, saying "Reeves...says someone born male who identifies as a woman would not get access to a women’s refuge under Labour policy". So it seems they must be planning to repeal or significantly amend the Equality Act, to ban some women from refuges.

Comment

Dodds was classic shite soft left Labour, and invisible, but Reeves is pure evil. Prob as well she will never ever hold any power. Pity is thats cos Labour will never be in power at Westminster for years, if ever again.

Comment

Andy Mcdonald quits, the last leftwinger in the shadow cabinet.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                      Dodds was classic shite soft left Labour, and invisible, but Reeves is pure evil. Prob as well she will never ever hold any power. Pity is thats cos Labour will never be in power at Westminster for years, if ever again.
                                      No, I don't think they will be. There's no way back and while there will always be a rump left who are far too wedded to the party to ever leave, one does wonder for how long some of the excellent and bright young people in Young Labour (eg Lara McNeil and Jess Barnard) will bother sticking around given they will never be allowed to gain any influence beyond their present roles.

What I'm saying is, there has to a schism. Surely.

Comment

Conference votes down a commitment to PR. Unions not on side

Comment

Fuck sake, always so predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by Gas In Name Only View Post
                                            What I'm saying is, there has to be a schism. Surely.
                                            You'd hope. But you'd have hoped lots of times before and have been disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

You'd hope. But you'd have hoped lots of times before and have been disappointed.
                                              Well yes. There'll be lots of people advocating to stay put, play the long game, may get another tilt at it in a few years... but honestly, if they're not getting the hint after the 20% nominations rule change and the fact that Corbyn obviously isn't getting the whip back, ever, then I don't know what else to say

Comment

Facebook post.

I don't know for certain if 15 an hour is an exactly appropriate demand for the minimum wage. Maybe it should be 15.60, I dunno. And I appreciate that it might be considered a big political ask. But if you yourself are earning more than 15 an hour, for jobs that however well-rewarded are perhaps less essential to the running of society than care work, nursing, or other frontline jobs in which people have literally put their lives on the line during the pandemic, then ask yourself if you're entitled to decry this demand as "unrealistic".

Question is, who gets to determine this realism? Why should we put up with our expectations being continually corroded, lowered since 1979 in the name of pragmatism? And why do some in Labour submit to these lowered expectations with such apparent relish?

Surely the whole point of Labour, as implied in the name, as it is a party set up to defend the interests of Labour as opposed to Capital. At the very least, 15 per hour is a good starting bargaining position. Why would people supposedly of the Labour persuasion undermine that position from the outset by describing it as "unrealistic"? Starmer didn't, at least while he was pitching for the leadership. Now he is.

Comment

Fifteen fills me with fear just based on the US experience. Ask for 15, continue to ask for 15, a decade later when it looks like you are going to get 15 everyone shouts "how can you think 15 is enough?"

Comment

It's not enough.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X