Tax Breaks in the time of virus - UK version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Breaks in the time of virus - UK version

didn't want this to get lost in the other threads - so....Friend sent me this link - it may only be £24pm but hey...

​​​​​​https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2...-claim-p6-wk-/

Not expecting any replies, but thought I'd share....

Thanks for sharing this. It's £6 a week or £26 a month if your employer agrees to pay it as an untaxed expense, if not it's only a tax relief on that amount (so you'd usually get back either 20% or 40% of it, although it'll be zero if you're paid less than the personal allowance, and Scotland has different tax rates altogether.)

I believe the expense claim is pro-rated for part-time workers, so for example if you work 4 days a week you would get 4/5th of that allowance.

Also in order to claim the tax relief you have to be made to work from home by your employer, rather than having asked for it or agreed it with them voluntarily:

If you’ve agreed with your employer to work at home voluntarily, or you choose to work at home, you cannot claim tax relief on the bills you have to pay.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Fb - can't imagine HMRC not letting anyone say that they have volunteered to work at home - For example, I've been told not to go to the office as have my colleagues in the UK and indeed worldwide...

Comment

Feels a bit penny-pinching to me, especially at a time when governments need our taxes. And I'm saving £5.40 a day on the train, so it's not like I'm losing out by WFH.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
          Feels a bit penny-pinching to me, especially at a time when governments need our taxes. And I'm saving £5.40 a day on the train, so it's not like I'm losing out by WFH.
          Not sure everyone is as lucky as you pebblethefish - it's swings and roundabouts I guess.

Comment

Working...
          X