Zoom in the time of virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zoom in the time of virus

So, I'm a new user to zoom. I've found it a way of staying sane by using it to meet people and "go" for drinks with them etc. I'm even using it for business meetings. So I'm a bit concerned at all the stuff I'm reading about it actually being malware. As someone who isn't really au fait with advanced user settings for things, are there some simple steps I can do to protect my computer and my meetings etc?

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1245845151974653954?s=20

There are issues. The way it hooks into your OS, past misbehaviour etc. But, unless you've got a better alternative to hand, use it. It's not malware it just uses malware techniques to install and update.

The main thing you can do is require passwords for meetings to stop zoombombers.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/art...ng-and-Webinar

Comment

Cheers Levin - that's reassuring.

Comment

Also a new user. Thanks Levin and gt3

Comment

That tweet was reassuring? I didn't understand what the hell he was banging on about

Comment

Ha - me neither.

Comment

Zoom is getting a lot of attention now so lots of security researchers are looking into it and finding lots of things it does badly. But that would be true of any piece of software that suddenly got lots of attention. Zoom isn't a major risk (although their T&Cs are wild but that's not security), no more than any other things on your computer and they've made good effort in the past weeks to make improvements.

The main thing that has got attention is the zoombombing but setting a meeting password pretty much stops it as a small cost of inconveniencing the organiser and users.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post

The main thing you can do is require passwords for meetings to stop zoombombers.
                Absolutely this. We've been using Zoom at my workplace for a few months now and were told at the outset to password protect (which to be fair we are told to do for most things).

Anyone else get a Fat Larrys Band earworm when Zoom is mentioned?

Comment

I'm not familiar with Fat Larrys Band, but I get an Aretha Franklin earworm when I'm arranging with someone that one of us will set up a Zoom call for the two of us.

I couldn't make head or tail of that security guy's tweet either. I mean really not even in the same continent as understanding what he was trying to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                    I'm not familiar with Fat Larrys Band, <snip>
                    There speaks a man who has never listened to local radio.

Comment

Our work banned the use of Zoom on corporate equipment, partly due to security concerns but mostly because it's eating too much bandwidth and our network can't cope (conference calls are bad enough at the moment.) My work PC doesn't have a webcam anyway so I wouldn't have needed an excuse to get out of that awful idea, should someone on my team have suggested it.

Am I the only here who covers the webcam with black tape within seconds of getting a new laptop?

Comment

Zoombombing seems like a non-issue if you just use common sense. Don't share meeting links publicly.

Comment

Anyway, if you're worried about Zoom, Teams is pretty decent for MS software. You won't need most of its functionality just for hanging out.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                            Am I the only here who covers the webcam with black tape within seconds of getting a new laptop?
                            Nope, me too.

As does popular privacy advocate Mark Zuckerberg apparently:
                            https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...phone-facebook

Comment

Zoom is great. I ran a training session in Senegal through Zoom last December while I was in Vietnam. It is the only one of these things that works in low bandwidth settings (the Senegal end of that session was being run through someone's phone hotspot on some pre-3G connection. Plus Zoom is the only i know of that has break out rooms, which are a huge plus for anything that wants to look vaguely like a classroom.

I mean MS stuff like Teams and Skype is probably very secure (which i concede is not a minor consideration) but that comes at the cost of tons of functionality and user-friendliness.

Comment

Can you describe what you mean by break-out rooms? If it's what it sounds like, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it in Teams.

Comment

Yeah can make group chats and private channels in teams

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                    Can you describe what you mean by break-out rooms? If it's what it sounds like, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it in Teams.
                                    The host can put everyone in smaller groups so they can discuss a point (and the host can pop in and visit), and then bring everyone back to the larger group at the end.

People I know with Teams say you can't do that. (Plus of course Teams, like with any of that 365 stuff needs you to have an account)

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

The host can put everyone in smaller groups so they can discuss a point (and the host can pop in and visit), and then bring everyone back to the larger group at the end.

People I know with Teams say you can't do that. (Plus of course Teams, like with any of that 365 stuff needs you to have an account)
                                      Only the meeting organiser needs a teams account (I.e M365 account with the correct license for Teams). The meeting guests do not.

Comment

Ok, that's good to know. Not that I have an M365 Teams account

Comment

I don't think it's automated (ie group select some people and create a sub-room), but you can have multiple chats open with different members, with your camera/mic active only in one, so it would be pretty trivial to create new chats with smaller groups and drop in to each accordingly.

But I'm not really trying to convert you or anything. Just saying that if people are put off by the recent noise around Zoom, there are plenty of other good alternatives.

Comment

We use zoom for all our work meetings. Can't say anything myself about the security or whatever, but hopefully our IT department checked that part out before getting the entire company to use it.
                                            The kids use google hangouts for their school meetings, and I use skype for the rare times that I've spoken to my family in the UK or friends in Mexico with a video link.

Comment

I was in a mediation last week via zoom. The host was able to create separate rooms for the mediator and the Claimant's legal team and then move people back and forth as was needed. he simply whatsapped then and asked if they were ready to rejoin the meeting. If they said yes, he simply brought them back in - but zoom gives a 60 second countdown so that no one is caught in the middle of a sensitive conversation. Worked really well.

Everyone, thanks, really appreciate the responses.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                                I'm not familiar with Fat Larrys Band, but I get an Aretha Franklin earworm
                                                My Aretha 80s thing is "Three-way of Love"

My college has issued this guidance:
                                                • Only allow the host to share screen. Others can be allowed to do so on a case-by-case basis during the meeting.
                                                • Enable waiting rooms. Participants cannot enter the meeting until you “admit” them.
                                                • Require password for Personal Meeting Rooms. Safeguard your personal meeting room using a password to enter.
                                                • Guests are identified. Participants who are not logged into an FSW account will appear as guests.
                                                • Participants can be removed. Host can remove any participants that are disruptive.
                                                • Join host before meeting has been disabled. This prevents an attacker from getting into the meeting before you and harassing early meeting participants.

Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 03-04-2020, 17:21.

Comment

I don't think Teams has breakout room functionality, does it?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X