Homemade substitutes you've tried so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade substitutes you've tried so far

You can't find soy sauce on the shelves in either of our supermarkets. Googling suggests that reducing down a tablespoon or so of sugar and two of salt into a shallow small pan of boiling water will produce something that tastes broadly similar. As I was cooking fried rice tonight I was thinking of trying it but has anyone ever tried this before I even attempt it and completely waste my time?
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 29-03-2020, 16:27.

Real soy sauce is brewed, but if you are primarily going for the saltiness that should work

Comment

I can walk to an Asian grocery that has more than two dozen kinds in stock, though I of course realise that is of little use to you.

We may have thousands of active cases, but we are very well places in terms of food.

Comment

Can you get fish sauce or anchovy sauce? Those might work. Alternatively good old Worcestershire Sauce would do in a pinch.

Comment

Thanks. It's the distinctive salt and sweet kick of soy I want to see if I can replicate at home. We've got some worcester sauce but naturally that's saved for the cheese on toast.

Comment

I'm guessing that miso paste isn't available either.

Comment

Ursus, this is a village in central Lancashire. The soy sauce at the best of times, along with pasta, rice and curry sauces are on half an aisle that is not headed "world foods" but "all that foreign muck".
              Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 29-03-2020, 17:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                You can't find soy sauce on the shelves in either of our supermarkets. Googling suggests that reducing down a tablespoon or so of sugar and two of salt into a shallow small pan of boiling water will produce something that tastes broadly similar. As I was cooking fried rice tonight I was thinking of trying it but has anyone ever tried this before I even attempt it and completely waste my time?
                Please let me know if it works. We are running alarmingly low on soy sauce. It's one of the few things I don't have at least a month's supply of!

Comment

Waitrose beckenham had a small selection of soy Sauce this afternoon. Including Kikoman which is my soy of choice.

Comment

In terms of the title, we're already manufacturing our own hand sanitiser using a mixture of 70% polypropyl rubbing alcohol (my husband had a huge bottle for cleaning the 3D printer) and 30% aloe vera gel (I bought in B&M before our full lockdown for this express purpose).

Comment

It's a very different world you live in, Rogin

We have entire aisles devoted to Passover food at this time of year.

Comment

Found a packet of linguine with an expiry date of June 2019...

That will be my tea tonight...

Comment

I use coconut aminos, though it doesn't quite work the same if you are baking the item / using is as a cooked marinade.

Comment

I have zero idea what coconut aminos are...
                            ​​​​​

Comment

Don’t know about soy sauce. Something caramelised and with umami. Marmite?

heres a list of baking substitutes which is recommended

[URL]https://twitter.com/alicebell/status/1244320498672119812?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Coconut aminos is a liquid condiment similar to soy sauce but made from the fermented sap of a coconut palm tree and sea salt. Coconut aminos can be used in place of soy sauce, Bragg Liquid Aminos, or tamari, though it does cost significantly more than any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  Coconut aminos is a liquid condiment similar to soy sauce but made from the fermented sap of a coconut palm tree and sea salt. Coconut aminos can be used in place of soy sauce, Bragg Liquid Aminos, or tamari, though it does cost significantly more than any of them.
                                  Well you learn something new every day.

And now I have further questions. What are "Bragg Liquid Aminos" and tamari?

Comment

Tamari are a category of soy-like sauces that are generally gluten free (standard soy sauce uses wheat). We generally have both on hand at any given time.

Bragg Liquid Aminos is a seasoning sauce made from soybeans and purified water. All of the soybeans used to produce the Bragg product are verified by the Non-GMO Project. Bragg Liquid Aminos contains no chemicals, artificial coloring, or preservatives. One downside to Bragg Liquid Aminos is the cost, since it's a bit pricier than most standard soy sauce brands.

Comment

Alternatively:

Aldi - 45p.

Comment

Bragg Liquid Aminos are one of the "iconic" US health food store products of the 70s, along with Dr Bronner's Soap and Carob Chips

Comment

NS just doesn't understand bourgeois hippie culture

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                            Ursus, this is a village in central Lancashire. The soy sauce at the best of times, along with pasta, rice and curry sauces are on half an aisle that is not headed "world foods" but "all that foreign muck".
                                            In Bethesda (Wales) in the late 70s my landlord and friend, very enamoured of all things French (and a fluent speaker), suddenly chanced across some fresh garlic. He was ecstatic!

Comment

Not homemade, but I couldn't get Sun-Pat peanut butter in Tesco last week and all they had left was Marmite peanut butter, so I bought a jar. Now I like Marmite, but let's just say that this may be an acquired taste. It's quite runny with lots of peanut oil and the taste is neither Marmitey or peanutty enough to really tick either box.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
                                                Found a packet of linguine with an expiry date of June 2019...

That will be my tea tonight...
                                                How can linguine have an expiry date? Was it some weird microwavable ready-made thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                                  How can linguine have an expiry date? Was it some weird microwavable ready-made thing?
                                                  Nope, a pack of my usual posh brand, I buy pasta often with generally 5/6kgs in the house at any given time and this one escaped my attention by staying at the bottom of the pile.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X