No announcement yet.

Covid-19 in statistics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting data here. Particularly the link to average household size.

https://twitter.com/albertsamaha/status/1258745087456169991

Comment

The ONS website has got some fairly detailed, granular statistics for the UK deaths from COVID-19, at the urban area and the Middle Layer Super Output Area (roughly equivalent to ward-sized area) levels. Quite fascinating.

Comment

So, a question about the ONS data: are deaths registered for the area where someone lived, or the area where they died (i.e. if they died in a hospital, are they counted as a death for the hospital's local area)?

Because I keep seeing Middlesbrough really high up in the list of worst affected areas, but it has a death rate 4 or 5 times higher than any of the other local authorities on Teesside (one of the tables on the ONS website has it as 8 times higher than Stockton which would be utterly bizarre), and I'm now wondering if they're counting all James Cook deaths as Middlesbrough. Given that it's the biggest hospital in the region and serves all of Teesside plus chunks of North Yorkshire and County Durham, that would make the local authority level statistic fairly useless.

Comment

They seem to record both "usual residence" and "place of occurrence". Not sure which is used for the maps.

See Section 5 here
          https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...isticsjuly2017

Comment

Thank you, I get a bit overwhelmed by the ONS website and the amount of information on there. Their maps and tables also seem to variously use data from local authorities, MLSOAs and urban built up areas which all have different boundaries so it's a little difficult to follow.

Comment

Very much so.

Their summary of methodology changes in this respect goes into that to a certain degree, and England's penchant for changing boundaries definitely doesn't help.

It appears that the regional data is by "usual residence", though I am not sure if that applies to the more granular data as well. We have a similar issue here, in that Manhattan has an extremely high concentration of hospitals, some of which are primarily dedicated to terminal patients.

Comment

A good article in the Daily Mail today (yeah I know, a rarity) but it is worth reading to see where we have done well with Covid19 as much as where as where we have gone wrong. You'll have to wade through the political bias - but that is true of every newspaper - but generally it isn't a bad analysis.

Britain does not have the worst Covid-19 death toll in Europe. And the Government's critics know it. Unlike the UK, other nations' coronavirus statistics don't include deaths outside of hospital.

Comment

Paul S, the Dan Hodges of OTF

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                    A good article in the Daily Mail today (yeah I know, a rarity) but it is worth reading to see where we have done well with Covid19 as much as where as where we have gone wrong. You'll have to wade through the political bias - but that is true of every newspaper - but generally it isn't a bad analysis.
                    If you go to the euromomo website and compare the overall excess mortality z-scores of the different countries, the UK is by far the worst. It's not even close.

Comment

An update from the Office for National Statistics. Total deaths registered in England and Wales up to 1st May v a five year rolling average.

2020: 247,261
                      5 years rolling average: 205,589

This means we are running 41, 672 over normal deaths.

Provisional counts of the number of deaths registered in England and Wales, by age, sex and region, in the latest weeks for which data are available. Includes the most up-to-date figures available for deaths involving the coronavirus (COVID-19).

Comment

Here's a good one for the statisticians. According to the Centre for Evidence Based Medicine, the coronavirus outbreak is not an epidemic in the UK. The reason why is because:

The latest data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) suggests that just 0.24 per cent of adults – approximately 136,000 people – have the virus. Separate surveillance by the Royal College of GPs indicates it may be even less.

Figures released last week showed just 0.037 per cent of people have the virus, although this is likely to be lower than the actual number because few people are visiting doctors with symptoms.

An epidemic is declared if the surveillance rate exceeds 40 per 10,000, but the new figures suggest it is between 24 and three in 10,000.
                        Latest data from ONS suggests just 0.24 per cent of adults – approximately 136,000 people – have the virus

Comment

Time for an update on coronavirus deaths per million head of population and the latest standings are as follows:

1. Belgium - 784
                          2. Spain - 588
                          3. Italy - 523
                          4. United Kingdom - 511
                          5. France - 410
                          6. Sweden - 358
                          7. Netherlands - 327
                          8. Ireland - 312

Belgium's lead at the top looks unassailable, but the UK is surging up the table and may yet finish with the World's second highest number of Covid-19 deaths per million head of population.

Comment

Deaths plotted against time of intervention

fromthe BMJ

https://twitter.com/globalhlthtwit/status/1261925658030202880?s=20

Comment

Time for an update on coronavirus deaths per million head of population and the latest standings are as follows:

1. Belgium - 784
                              2. Spain - 588
                              3. Italy - 523
                              4. United Kingdom - 511
                              5. France - 410
                              6. Sweden - 358
                              7. Netherlands - 327
                              8. Ireland - 312

Belgium's lead at the top looks unassailable, but the UK is surging up the table and may yet finish with the World's second highest number of Covid-19 deaths per million head of population.
                              As Nef's tweet makes clear this number for the UK is based on the 32000 ish deaths which doesn't include care homes or any of the other ones that didn't happen in hospitals (which the Belgian number does include). I don't know whether the UK has the highest number of deaths per million but it must be very close

Comment

As of today the UK is now up to third place in the World rankings basing corona virus on deaths per million head of population. We've passed Italy, just France and Belgium left to beat:

1. Belgium - 801
                                2. Spain - 597
                                3. UK - 537
                                4. Italy - 535
                                5. France - 419

Coronavirus deaths per capita were highest in Belgium, topping a list of 176 countries worldwide.

Comment

I though San Marino was top? And Andorra near the top too?

Comment

I take it Paul has ad hoc on Ignore Poster.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

As Nef's tweet makes clear this number for the UK is based on the 32000 ish deaths which doesn't include care homes or any of the other ones that didn't happen in hospitals (which the Belgian number does include). I don't know whether the UK has the highest number of deaths per million but it must be very close
                                      TBF, UK have been including care home deaths in recent daily updates, according to the Guardian's daily newsfeed.

Comment

My own county has seen daily cases virtually disappear - just 3 over the last week, and 7 over the last fortnight:

https://twitter.com/kerryman_ie/status/1263520938127249409

Comment

Last month, air and sea travel into Ireland fell by 99%, from 1.7m to 16,000, of whom 12,000 came by air:

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpub...ticsapril2020/

Comment

I thought I'd resurrect this thread so I could say something about the daily coronavirus totals in the UK which today hit 202, the lowest Friday figure since Friday March 20th. However, if you look at the NHS England website you will find that there were in fact just 10 deaths in English hospitals in the previous 24 hours which have been attributed to Covid19, the others are down to a time lag in reporting from many weeks ago. In fact daily deaths in England from covid19 for the last week or so have been:

11 June - 10
                                            10 June - 35
                                            9 June - 12
                                            8 June - 3
                                            7 June - 3
                                            6 June - 1
                                            5 June - 1
                                            4 June - 2
                                            3 June - 2
                                            2 June - 1

Source:
                                            Health and high quality care for all, <br />now and for future generations

Comment

Yes, but who's to say that the total of 10 for yesterday will not be retrospectively added to three weeks down the line in similarly "time lag in reporting" figures?

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                                Yes, but who's to say that the total of 10 for yesterday will not be retrospectively added to three weeks down the line in similarly "time lag in reporting" figures?
                                                That may well happen, I'm just looking for good news right now. There seems to be precious little of it at the moment.

Comment

Yeah it's nonsense to look at the figures from the last week or so as some of the deaths have obviously not been reported yet. It literally says so in that NHS link:

Interpretation of the figures should take into account the fact that totals by date of death are likely to be updated in future releases for more recent dates.

Comment

That may well happen, I'm just looking for good news right now. There seems to be precious little of it at the moment.
                                                    You might want to look somewhere that isn't the UK's butchering of the pandemic, then.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X