The Lockdown Diaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
    I can cope with the "from home" bit of working from home, but the "working" bit is very tough.
    Quite.

Comment

While I am enjoying reading Balder's journal entries, they are making me feel rather inadequate on the home parenting front.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
        I'm back from a little walk around the neighbourhood. I observed quite a lot of people just sitting in their parked cars. I don't know if this is normal, or it it's people working from home just wanting their own little space for a few minutes away from the rest of their household.
        I used to work with a married bloke with two young kids who had a really tense relationship with his wife, so much so that he told us that he regularly either drives in circles around the neighbourhood or sits in his parked car in the garage for an hour or two in the evening before 'coming home'. I wonder how they're coping at the moment.

Comment

Day 21 of semi lockdown:
          Getting tired of both tea and coffee. Fitted some new internal door handles. Tidied shed.
          Went for a jog (Week 3 on Couch to 5k App) coached by Michael Johnson!! Becos asthma nurse informs me Ive put on a stone last year so I’m aiming for a November half marathon which finishes outside The Emirates. I’m on the cusp of this 12 weeks stay in house asthma thing as nurse can’t decide if I should up dosage. 2x2 ain’t working but 3x2 has so she’s put me in effect on a 2.5x2 regime which I think may keep me out of the zone. I feel fine though.
          May try a DIY haircut tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by White No Sugar View Post
            Day 21 of semi lockdown:
            Getting tired of both tea and coffee. Fitted some new internal door handles. Tidied shed.
            Went for a jog (Week 3 on Couch to 5k App) coached by Michael Johnson!! Becos asthma nurse informs me Ive put on a stone last year so I’m aiming for a November half marathon which finishes outside The Emirates. I’m on the cusp of this 12 weeks stay in house asthma thing as nurse can’t decide if I should up dosage. 2x2 ain’t working but 3x2 has so she’s put me in effect on a 2.5x2 regime which I think may keep me out of the zone. I feel fine though.

What's the score, WNS? Have you got the virus or are you isolating because you're asthmatic?

(Be forewarned - I may be PMing you about fitting door handles.)

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
              While I am enjoying reading Balder's journal entries, they are making me feel rather inadequate on the home parenting front.
              We are in week one and the situation has tipped me into semi-mania phase. Keep reading and I'm sure there will be days where I revert to depression and when I don't get out of bed.

Also, competitive parenting is never a good idea. If you and yours are happy, who cares what activities they're doing? At the moment, planning a table activity and a garden activity each day is keeping me occupied and keeping the kids calm. It won't work forever.

Comment

It's the perfect time to try. After all, if you cock it up, no one's going to see.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

It's the perfect time to try. After all, if you cock it up, no one's going to see.
                  I'm on the same wavelength as you - I reckon I've got two weeks before my hair begins to look like a burst mattress so I've been pricing up clippers on Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

What's the score, WNS? Have you got the virus or are you isolating because you're asthmatic?

(Be forewarned - I may be PMing you about fitting door handles.)
                    Asthmatic.
                    First week was a holiday we decided against in case we couldn’t get back. Flight returned 4 days late but we did get a refund even though we never went. Then decided not to go back to work.
                    Had yearly check a few weeks back and wasn’t getting better so dosage upped from 2x2 puffs to 3x2 puffs. Vast improvement. So I expected to be moved to a stronger medicine having 1x2 to save nhs expense which may have put me in the stoppy in zone. Instead I’m 3 puffs on morning then 2 at night of the stuff I’ve taken for a year and has done nowt at a 2x2 dosage. I can see me slipping backwards.

Comment

Oh everyone will see. I’m sending pics out to all n sundry. Three and a half weeks beard as well. I feel a bit of topiary coming on as well.

Comment

As mentioned on another thread, I was originally going for the Geoff from Byker Grove look, but the tache was annoying me, so now I'm channelling the Foreman from Les Miserables

Comment

Not the frontman from Slade?

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                            I'm on the same wavelength as you - I reckon I've got two weeks before my hair begins to look like a burst mattress so I've been pricing up clippers on Amazon.
                            May I recommend, if you're going for the all over, don't buy big clippers. They're fine for taking a load of hair off but useless for making sure it's all even etc. And the blades don't move fast enough.
                            The ones to go for for head shaving are the ones they use in barbers. The Wahl Sterling 2
                            They cost more, but if you look after them they'll go forever and they're SO much better to use. They're even accurate enough to do your beard. I've had mine 7 years without a hitch. Even the battery is still fine.
                            I went through 3 or 4 other pairs first, before I realised if I wanted to do what they did at the barbers, I should get what they used.

Comment

Hmmm. Mine were £9.99 from TK Maxx. I’m certain they’re by Wahl though. There’s only one way to find out.

Comment

We're coping ok here. I'm the only one in the household who goes out (supermarket, the corner shop, taking the rubbish down) whereas the other two are staying at home. I miss not being able to exercise outdoors but get that it's for my and more importantly the general good. Have been doing a lot of sorting out of personal stuff and this afternoon will tackle the semi-disaster which is our kitchen. Before that, there's turkey breast and salad to be prepared. It's raining today and will remain wet for a few days so I wouldn't have been venturing out much in any case.

Comment

Day 21 of semi lockdown:
                                  Getting tired of both tea and coffee.
                                  This makes me think of Al Needham/Nishlord from the Chart Music podcast, as a teenage Style Council fan in the 1980s thinking that Cappuccino was a mixture of tea and coffee

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post

I've got some somewhere. I think that the last time I used them was about 10 years ago when I shaved my pubes off before a hernia repair operation.

Comment

As mentioned on another thread, I was originally going for the Geoff from Byker Grove look, but the tache was annoying me, so now I'm channelling the Foreman from Les Miserables

He looks like he's suffering from possibly terminal constipation and is trying desperately to clear the log-jam.

Comment

What he needs is a good friend with a corkscrew and a foot on each buttock.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post

This makes me think of Al Needham/Nishlord from the Chart Music podcast, as a teenage Style Council fan in the 1980s thinking that Cappuccino was a mixture of tea and coffee
                                          Now there’s an idea. Anyone tried it?

Comment

Is there any scientific basis for the apparently widespread belief that middle class families can't catch Covid-19 as long as they all ride their bicycles on the pavement?

Comment

Now there’s an idea. Anyone tried it?
                                              Yes, in my 'drinking heavily / working in restaurants' days, this was an almost sure-fire hangover cure. Tea bag steeped in a mug of coffee would see you right as rain in about 20 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                                Is there any scientific basis for the apparently widespread belief that middle class families can't catch Covid-19 as long as they all ride their bicycles on the pavement?
                                                Is someone trying to...pedal...that theory?

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

We are in week one and the situation has tipped me into semi-mania phase. Keep reading and I'm sure there will be days where I revert to depression and when I don't get out of bed.

Also, competitive parenting is never a good idea. If you and yours are happy, who cares what activities they're doing? At the moment, planning a table activity and a garden activity each day is keeping me occupied and keeping the kids calm. It won't work forever.
                                                  Oh, I'm not going to try and compete, I have a pretty good idea of my limitations (I think). So, while in many respects I feel I should be doing more, I know I'm not going to and that's OK. I suppose I may get to find out in a decade or so if I really messed it up.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

May I recommend, if you're going for the all over, don't buy big clippers. They're fine for taking a load of hair off but useless for making sure it's all even etc. And the blades don't move fast enough.
                                                    The ones to go for for head shaving are the ones they use in barbers. The Wahl Sterling 2
                                                    I'll probably be going for a 4 or 5 all over - I've got a head like a shoebox so a full shave won't suit me (at least until it becomes an inevitability).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X