No announcement yet.

The Lockdown Diaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm on holiday today, tomorrow and Wednesday. These are the first days off I've had since 10th March.

I know I'm miles better off than many people during the corona crisis, especially publicans and restauarant-owners, but I must admit that work has left me absolutely shattered.

The first set of restrictions came into force on 16th March. For the next two months, the hut was basically an off-licence. This led to more contact with the police than I'd had in all of my previous 52 years put together, as the local constabulary kept telling me I was breaking the law (even though I wasn't), yet were unable to tell me what exactly the problems were. (On one occasion, they tried to convince me that I'd committed an offence because the ice-cream deliveryman didn't have the right permit for driving a lorry in the park.) This was all highly annoying, but just about manageable.

Certain restrictions were lifted on 13th May. This meant minigolf could reopen, but with a list of conditions as long as an elephant's trunk. Unfortunately, the problems only got bigger - not with the police, but with many people who simply refuse to believe that the lockdown (as such) isn't completely over.

1. Social distancing:
    We're only allowed to operate at 50%. This means that a maximum of nine groups of maximum four persons each can be on the course at any one time. In front of the hut, there are three tables that can seat a maximum of four people each. If all these slots/tables are occupied, nobody else is allowed to hang around there. They can buy food and drink to take away, but then they have to leave the premises immediately.

That's not my idea. That's the current law, as interpreted and communicated to me by local government. However, people constantly argue the toss, even after you've explained it to them.

"What do you mean, the golf course is full? No it isn't. There's tons of space. What's your problem, don't you want my money?"
    "What do you mean, I have to take it away because all the seats are occupied? I can stand up next to the tables. What do you mean, I can't? Well, fuck you, then, you fucking arsehole."

2. Contact tracing:
    Anybody who sets foot on the course or sits at the tables has to fill out a contact form with their name, telephone number/e-mail address and the times at which they arrive and leave.

That's not my idea. That's the current law, as interpreted and communicated to me by local government. However, people constantly argue the toss, even after you've explained it to them.

"It's none of your business. No, I'm not filling out the form. We're outdoors, why do I have to fill out a form? What? If I don't fill it out, I can't play? Well, fuck you,then, you fucking arsehole."

3. Use of the lavatory:
    Only people who play golf or sit at the tables can use the lavatory (singular; there has to be a separate staff lavatory). Passers-by, joggers, participants in children's birthday parties, people playing sport or pissing it up in the park can't. *

"I want one jelly Smurf. And the key to the lavatory. What? No, if I buy something, I'm a customer. Which means I've got every right to use the lavatory. What? Well, fuck you, then, you fucking arsehole."

(One bloke threatened to stab me because his pregnant wife wasn't allowed to use the toilets. I didn't bother asking him why a pregnant woman was hanging around in a 15-strong, non-social-distancing group and drinking a bottle of Beck's Green Lemon.)

I'd never have imagined that saying "No" and explaining why a hundred times a day could be so strenuous (particularly as I do it from behind a perspex screen, which not only makes for a stiflingly hot working environment, but also means I have to shout to make myself heard, and I'm no good at shouting). I know other people - parents, teachers, the police - have to do similar stuff, but at least they can enforce sanctions of some description if the people they're talking to get chopsy. I can't; I just get told to get fucked.

* Last week, a bloke turned up with his kids and asked to use the lavatory. The Lady I Walked To The Registry Office With dealt with him, and I thought that was that. Five minutes later, he reappeared - child-free, pearls of sweat on his forehead and hopping from one foot to the other - pulled his police ID out of his pocket and said, this time to me, "If you don't let me use the toilet, you're going to have some serious problems in the next few days."

I had to think on my feet, and decided that aiding and abetting a copper's anal incontinence in front of his children was probably a bad idea, at least from a medium-term business perspective in the current environment. So I gave him the key, accompanied by some (in my opinion) well-chosen words when he returned it. I was so angry, with myself and with him, that I was literally speechless for five minutes. And when The Lady I Walked To The Registry Office With found out what had happened, we had a blazing row.

Comment

That's awful

You have essentially been deputised to enforce and explain a series of rather arbitrary interpretations of public health regulations without any compensation or support (quite the opposite, in fact).

Enjoy your break to the utmost

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
        I'd never have imagined that saying "No" and explaining why a hundred times a day could be so strenuous (particularly as I do it from behind a perspex screen, which not only makes for a stiflingly hot working environment, but also means I have to shout to make myself heard, and I'm no good at shouting). I know other people - parents, teachers, the police - have to do similar stuff, but at least they can enforce sanctions of some description if the people they're talking to get chopsy. I can't; I just get told to get fucked.
        To be bearable, any job requires a balance between the challenging and the routine. If there's essentially no such thing as a routine transaction in the current circumstances then that has to be very stressful.

Enjoy the break. Any scope for going to stare at something salty and windswept?

Comment

Yes, enjoy your time off, Trebeis. You deserve it, mate.

I've never had a client-facing role, or whatever the jargon is, mainly because I couldn't do what you have to do, day in and day out.

Comment

The most customer facing role I ever had was as a bank cashier, and at least then I had bullet-proof glass between me and angry members of the public. Treibeis' current role sounds torturous. I hope you enjoy the time off.

Comment

Day 88. Monday 15th June.

Daughter's next tooth fell out. Husband wrote the reply from the tooth fairy this time. So far daughter has not commented on the tooth fairy's mysterious change of handwriting.

Struggled to get up this morning. Had a chat with my psychiatrist about possibly changing medication dosage but he's reluctant to change things when I'm doing 'ok'. I think they're dealing with so many people in crisis at the moment that anyone who isn't currently a risk to themselves or others is just being left to get on with things.

Wasn't feeling home school, but we watched some Winnie the Witch stories and did a quiz about them, watched a Topsy and Tim episode about teeth brushing, read a children's anatomy book, did a shapes quiz, did some spellings. As my son's activities are about body and health this week I left the kids watching episodes of "Operation Ouch", a CBBC hospital programme, while I made lunch, which was pasta alla norma. Son really likes this sauce and has now requested to try slices of aubergine on their own. Will try to buy some in the next shop. Managed to book a Tesco delivery for in a fortnight, but we'll need more food before then.

I was so tired that I left the children building with Duplo and went for a nap in the afternoon. Then husband made me a coffee and I took the kids out to the park with their scooters. They're getting fairly speedy on the scooters now. I litter picked as well and we saw a couple of families we know. People definitely seem to be congregating in slightly larger groups and not being quite as careful about how close they are. Husband joined us after an hour and brought the windsock sofa which was fun to lie in and the kids also used it as a sledge to go down the slide in.

Back home, daughter is playing Animal Crossing, she caught a great white shark, and husband is cooking egg fried rice for dinner.

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                Daughter's next tooth fell out. Husband wrote the reply from the tooth fairy this time. So far daughter has not commented on the tooth fairy's mysterious change of handwriting.

My son was just happy to get the dosh when he lost a tooth but my daughter took quite an interest in her tooth fairy's life. She started up a conversation which carried on over a number of letters and covered the fairy's hair colour, friends, education, favourite food and a number of other challenging subjects.

I used to compile the reply and then get one of my work colleagues with a pleasant, clear handwriting style to copy them out for me.

Comment

A confronting post treibeis, especially the discovery that there is such a thing as Beck's Green Lemon. Is a green lemon a lime?

Comment

It's a shandy with both flavours (though artificial)

Skunky, there is a mild lemon aroma as the name would suggest but it’s not too strong. The smell of lime is more apparent & it is sweet.

A lemon and lime tasting beer that is quite sweet & unappealing, almost sickening after a glass of the stuff. Definitely a lot of sugar in the mix as well and not very pleasant.

Lots of fizz & carbonation, quite watery due to the lemonade in the mix & not all that smooth either.Skunky, there is a mild lemon aroma as the name would suggest but it’s not too strong. The smell of lime is more apparent & it is sweet.

A lemon and lime tasting beer that is quite sweet & unappealing, almost sickening after a glass of the stuff. Definitely a lot of sugar in the mix as well and not very pleasant.

Lots of fizz & carbonation, quite watery due to the lemonade in the mix & not all that smooth either.
                    The German language reviews are more scathing.

Comment

And hopefully less repetitive.

Comment

Day 89. Tuesday 16th June.

I found out this morning that I got through to the second round of one of my women returner scheme applications. So now I need to do an online exam. Husband took over with the kids and I spent today prepping instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                          Day 89. Tuesday 16th June.

I found out this morning that I got through to the second round of one of my women returner scheme applications. So now I need to do an online exam. Husband took over with the kids and I spent today prepping instead.
                          Good luck with the exam Balders

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

Good luck with the exam Balders
                            Thanks.

Comment

Day 90. Wednesday 17th June.

Another disturbed night of sleep so I struggled to get up in the morning. Once I did, I set the kids up with some school activities, drawing shapes, more Winnie the Witch storybook read throughs on YouTube, then knuckled down for more research for my online exam. My concentration span is not what it once was so wading through three 51 page documents full of acronyms, jargon and legalese was a bit of a stretch. I got to use some nice highlighter pens though.

Took time to have a shower, moisturise, dress nicely, do my hair properly, not because anyone would be able to see me doing the exam but because it puts me in a better frame of mind / makes me feel more professional and competent.

Husband made veggie fingers, diced potatoes and mixed veg for lunch. Then I made sure I had everything set up, reference documents, notepad, pen, laptop fully charged and plugged in, internet working fully, pint glass of water, and launched into the exam. It was a 60-minute timed response to a case study. It was hard, but I answered every section of the questions and submitted my response with 29 seconds to spare. This is where my secondary schooling and Cambridge university degree give me an edge as it's the main thing they train you to do; how to answer exam questions under time pressure.

I have no idea how long it will be until I hear if I've made it through to the next round (first stage took nearly two months), but it is done now.

Afterwards I took the kids out to the park. We brought our new boules set and played a few rounds of that, litter picked, did lots of different races (son is supposed to be planning a sports day), scrambled up and down the skate ramps, ate our snacks. Then a brother and sister came and asked if they could play with my kids. I asked what they wanted to play and they suggested hide and seek, which I decided was a pretty sensible suggestion. My daughter knew the kids from her school (though different year groups) and they all played really nicely for half an hour, taking turns to count, hiding up trees, never getting too close to each other.

Back home my husband has made a nice pasta sauce with tomatoes, fresh basil and black olives and the kids are watching some sort of "choose your own adventure" Minecraft programme.

Comment

Day 91. Thursday 18th June. 13 weeks completed.

I stayed up late last night watching the last two episodes of season 2 of Future Man. Was consequently up very late and feeling groggy.

But, home school must go on. Topics today included: lines of symmetry, Noah's ark and rainbows, making medals for sports day, Winnie's Flying Carpet and adverbs, the two by two animal song. My son can recognise most letters in the alphabet now, and sing the alphabet song, which I'm really pleased about.

I made mini omelettes for lunch, made in muffin cases with grated courgette, grated cheddar, sweetcorn and basil, with pasta and salad on the side.

Had a Tesco delivery in the afternoon which was sorely needed as we were out of milk and apples, and had resorted to breaking out the powdered milk for in teas and coffees.

Parents-in-law came round in the afternoon to sit in the garden with masks on and watch the children play.

Kids are currently helping daddy play a computer game (some sort of treasure hunting quest).

Comment

It's weird how Noah's Ark is regarded as a cutesy fun story for the kiddiwinks when the whole point is Noah only built the Ark to avoid the genocidal rage of a blood-crazed deity. Most retellings for children omit that the first thing Noah did when he left the ark was butcher some of the animals he saved to assuage the bloodlust of the genocidal deity. And then got pissed and cursed one of his sons which a few millennia later was the religious justification for apartheid.

Comment

That version would also be much more popular with kids

Comment

I've visited the site where the ark rests, not much to it and some way from Mount Ararat.

More interestingly is the giant crater made by a meteorite which is a few kms down the road.

Comment

Interestingly, my daughter has only ever viewed it as a cutesy animal story, but my son saw straight to the gruesome heart. "What happened to all the people who weren't on the ark?" "Could they swim?" "Why didn't God tell them to build an ark?" "Did the wasps sting the other animals?" "What did the tigers eat?" "Where did all the animal poo go?"

Comment

Yes all the people drowned. I wonder if Noah was able to sleep at night, or did he close his eyes and hear again the sound of fingernails scratching on the hull.

Comment

I doubt if he heard anything above the noise of all the animals.

Comment

On a lighter note (moving away from the genocidal annihilation implicit in the Noah story), I have only recently started to think about how the massive rises in sea level over the Holocene period, as the glaciers of the last Pleistocene ice age retreated, might have given rise to oral history which in turn generated the Flood narrative. In particular, one intriguing possibility (no more than that, probably a geographically peripheral long shot) is that the formation of the Black Sea, when the sea level in the Med breached the Bosphorous, could have been the origin.

Comment

It's rare to see catastrophic sea level rise pitched as "lighter" fare, but works in the rather special circumstances

Comment

This kind of thing?
                                                  https://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...al-697782.html

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                                    On a lighter note (moving away from the genocidal annihilation implicit in the Noah story), I have only recently started to think about how the massive rises in sea level over the Holocene period, as the glaciers of the last Pleistocene ice age retreated, might have given rise to oral history which in turn generated the Flood narrative. In particular, one intriguing possibility (no more than that, probably a geographically peripheral long shot) is that the formation of the Black Sea, when the sea level in the Med breached the Bosphorous, could have been the origin.
                                                    Given the Noah story was co-opted from Chaldean/Mesopotamian myths, the archaeological evidence for massive flooding that practically drowned Mesopotamia in several thousand BCE is a likely origin for the stories.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X