The Lockdown Diaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
    I just worked out that it is now 66 days since I have been in a motorised vehicle of any type.
    71 days for me I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
      I just worked out that it is now 66 days since I have been in a motorised vehicle of any type.
      I took my car on for its MOT on Friday. My mileage was a lot lower than last year, probably because the last 2 months have been a couple of pootles to a supermarket and that's about it.

Planned journeys I've missed that would have added to my mileage.

Cardiff - Aberystwyth - Shrewsbury - Cardiff. 300-350 miles.

Cardiff - Shrewsbury - Caernarfon - Shrewsbury - Cardiff. c.400 miles.

Cardiff - Bangor - Cardiff (probably via Shrewsbury) c.400 miles.

That's well over 1000 miles in special trips before I count the routine stuff (easily 200 miles a week).

I'm a bit ashamed to think how casually I regarded all that driving.

Comment

Day 66. Sunday 24th May.

We were all too knackered to do any kind of big family Sunday expedition walk which we sometimes do.

Instead, my husband had a lie-in. I fed the kids the last of the pancakes (it was a massive pack of 12 from Iceland) with Nutella and forest fruits and made myself some porridge and tea. Then me and the kids played Animal Crossing together and bought enormous numbers of turnips (it was a good price).

I had a craving for West African sweet potato and peanut stew so made a huge batch for lunch. Recipe on the cooking thread.

The kids spent a lot of the day playing imaginary games. At one point they were playing prisoners and jailers. Another time they were playing astronauts. The exploring topics from my daughter's school have definitely sparked their imaginations. When we go to the park now and climb the tiny hill we pretend that we're climbing Mount Everest.

I had a nap in the afternoon. Husband made pasta with red pesto for dinner. We watched Despicable Me 3 and the terrible fifth Ice Age film. Read the book which has diagrams of all the systems inside your body and lift up flaps showing bones and neurons and whatever.

A very uneventful day, but nice.

Last edited by Balderdasha; 28-05-2020, 18:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

I took my car on for its MOT on Friday. My mileage was a lot lower than last year, probably because the last 2 months have been a couple of pootles to a supermarket and that's about it.

Planned journeys I've missed that would have added to my mileage.

Cardiff - Aberystwyth - Shrewsbury - Cardiff. 300-350 miles.

Cardiff - Shrewsbury - Caernarfon - Shrewsbury - Cardiff. c.400 miles.

Cardiff - Bangor - Cardiff (probably via Shrewsbury) c.400 miles.

That's well over 1000 miles in special trips before I count the routine stuff (easily 200 miles a week).

I'm a bit ashamed to think how casually I regarded all that driving.
          I usually average 15-20,000 miles a year. I had three-quarters of a tank of fuel when I started homeworking, a week or so before the national lockdown, and on current usage I'm on course to not need to buy fuel until November.

Direct Line are rebating premiums for customers whose mileage have been substantially reduced - I'm not with them for car insurance itself though (just breakdown, which they should probably be rebating as well).

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

I usually average 15-20,000 miles a year. I had three-quarters of a tank of fuel when I started homeworking, a week or so before the national lockdown, and on current usage I'm on course to not need to buy fuel until November

Yeah. I've been driving on the same half tank of gas since the end of February, usually fill up every 2–3 weeks. I haven't been into Vancouver— half an hour down the highway — for about the same length of time either. I might have forgotten how to get there.

Comment

Day 67. Monday 25th May. Bank holiday.

I was still tired.

Made the kids peanut butter, jam and banana sandwiches like Elvis Presley. Then had to play them loads of videos of Elvis Presley to show them who he was.

Climbed onto the kitchen counters to clean a set of shelves that were covered in stuff we didn't know what to do with and dust and cobwebs. Found the remains of our wedding cake. Showed the kids and then binned it. Once clean, I restocked the shelves with books that had been languishing at the bottom of a wardrobe. Looks much better now.

Made an apple and blackberry crumble for the kids to have after they'd been playing in the paddling pool. Then went for a nap again.

We have an old fitted bedsheet that had a huge rip in the middle. Last week we cut half of it up to make a parachute with our daughter. Yesterday I started on a project to try and turn some of the remaining cotton and elastic into a hand-stitched face mask (I don't have a sewing machine). I got about halfway there while watching two episodes of season 3 of The Expanse. Will try and finish it off this evening.
              ​​​​​
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Working on a SQL-query and listening to the Orb's latest album. Made barley flour pancakes for lunch and ate them with them honey and butter. The children are at school and my wife has a lunch time appointment with a colleague. No online meetings today.

Comment

I made some bread rolls and some baguettes yesterday.
                  The baguettes need 5 lots of 45 minutes proving so they took all day, basically.

Comment

We have acquired nocturnal ants that like dog food. I first noticed them on Friday morning when I got up, then they were gone a couple of hours later, only to reappear in the evening. I moved the dog food station to the other side of the kitchen, cleaned the floor thoroughly and waited to see what happened. Saturday morning there were no ants to be found, so I congratulated myself. However yesterday morning I found that they'd discovered the dog food again, and were also accessing the kitchen from a different point. Again, they disappeared at dawn, only to reappear at dusk. I did not know ants behaved like this. It would have been easier to deal with a couple of years ago when my dog would eat all his food in about one millisecond, but he's become less ravenous in his old age (and now he's on drugs for his Cushing's).

My neighbours had some sort of party going on Saturday night, their first in 2 months (they used to have a couple a month or so). This is the same guy who stood in my doorway breathing and talking to me a few days ago.

It was bloody hot here yesterday, and will be today also.

Comment

This is of absolutely no help, but a number of residents in our building have reported an increase in insect activity, which the management is attributing to more apartments being vacant and the inability of the exterminator to make his regular visits.

Comment

What with all the apocalyptic chat over the last few months, may be the ants have overheard and are coming to take over the earth, as promised?

Comment

Speaking of signs of the apocalypse, the Cannonball Run record from NYC to LA has been broken seven times since this started and is now down to under 26 hours

According to previous record-holder (and, technically, felon) Ed Bolian, the new record to beat (if you’re an idiot) is less than 26 hours. From talking with the criminals who hold the record and doing the math, he figures that means they would have averaged about 193 km/h crossing “several” states. The vehicle used to set the most recent record has not been revealed.
                          https://driving.ca/audi/auto-news/ne...uring-lockdown

Comment

We had a couple of friends over for socially-distanced drinks and chat yesterday afternoon. They're fairly affluent and usually take numerous holidays each year, albeit usually in Europe and on modest budgets. Anyway, they were bemoaning all of their cancelled jollies as I sat there listening with the world's smallest violin playing sweetly in my mind's ear.

We ordered a dozen bandanas to use as face masks and they've now arrived. Given the price I'm wondering how they'll fare in the washing machine and dryer.

Comment

Day 68. Tuesday 26th May.

Had more energy today thankfully. Still not up super early but it's half term so I'm not going to feel bad about it. Gave the kids cereal and toast for breakfast. Set them up with Andy's Wild Workouts and Minecraft themed cosmic yoga while I cleared the kitchen and put the dishwasher on.

Let them play a new cbeebies mindfulness game on my phone while I had a webchat with an actually helpful HMRC person.

Made cold sesame and cucumber noodles for lunch (recipe on cooking thread).

Then decided to go on a nice long walk / expedition with the kids, so packed a big rucksack of water and snacks, found our sunhats and set off. Another mum had told us about this route. We ended up walking about four miles over the course of four hours. At certain points I was wondering about the wiseness of my decision to be so far from home on my own with two small children, especially when we were on a narrow, nettle-strewn path, worryingly high above a river, with my brain trying to work out whether I could dive in and rescue them if they toppled off the path, but they followed instructions impeccably and everybody survived. We had our mid-walk snacks in a nice meadow. We litter picked two massive bags of rubbish along the way (weirdest finds were a broken walking stick, a smashed crystal bowl, a silk pillow and some rainbow glasses which I left on a bench in case anyone came back for them). As we were heading home I was concerned that I didn't have enough snacks to keep the kids going, they were just on the verge of starting to think about whingeing, when we fortunately came past an open but deserted corner shop so nipped in and bought three calippos. They lasted us until home, where the Tesco delivery has just arrived so we can now lounge on the sofa and snack to our heart's delight.

If they don't sleep properly tonight, then I throw my hands up, there is nothing more I can do!

Comment

While we were out my husband tackled the job of scouring the oven which has not been cleaned since before we moved into the house over 4.5 years ago. I think I definitely got the better deal today. And he just made egg fried rice with peas for dinner, and basa fillets for himself and the kids.

Comment

Day 69. Wednesday 27th May.

I slept terribly last night. Very fitful, kept waking up with a jolt every hour or so, had to take more medication in the end. Possibly because my husband very kindly made me a pint of coke zero with ice and lime when I got back from yesterday's long walk and my body can't handle caffeine in the evening.

Today is the day where all the dandelion seeds and tree fluff have gone crazy. Any room where we open the windows is instantly filled with floaty white seeds.

I was up late because of the fitful sleep. We ate punnets of strawberries and blackberries that couldn't fit in the fridge and were in danger of going off.

After the Minecraft themed cosmic yoga the other day the kids wanted to play the real game so my husband taught them this morning. The children are worryingly enthusiastic about hunting down sheep and chickens and killing them for meat.

We did a barbecue for lunch (despite the failed Tesco delivery of briquettes, we found an old bag of charcoal that just about did the job). Husband made beef and harissa koftas. I made halloumi and pepper skewers, new potatoes and a walnut, grapefruit and feta salad. The children mostly dug in the mud in the garden with sticks while we prepped food.

Made a shadow puppet theatre with the kids in the afternoon (from a toucanbox kit). Sold some turnips on Animal Crossing for a great profit and built a new stone step incline up a cliff with the proceeds.

A children's recipe book arrived that my husband had ordered to try and inspire us to cook more variety. I looked through it with the kids and said they could choose one main and one dessert for dinner if we had the ingredients. They chose tortilla wraps, son had his with cream cheese, carrot and cucumber, daughter had houmous, cucumber and avocado. For dessert they chose chocolate brownie mug cakes. If I had known the recipe for these at university, I don't think I would have ever cooked anything else. I had the last portion of my sweet potato and peanut stew.

I've invited my mum to come over tomorrow to sit two metres away from me in the park for an hour and chat. I'd love to give her a hug but I still don't think that's wise.

Did an explorers sticker book with the kids before bed. Half term is definitely more relaxing when
                                  ​I'm not trying to actively educate them.

​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                    Day 67. Wednesday 27th May.

I slept terribly last night. Very fitful, kept waking up with a jolt every hour or so, had to take more medication in the end. Possibly because my husband very kindly made me a pint of coke zero with ice and lime when I got back from yesterday's long walk and my body can't handle caffeine in the evening.

Today is the day where all the dandelion seeds and tree fluff have gone crazy. Any room where we open the windows is instantly filled with floaty white seeds.

I was up late because of the fitful sleep. We ate punnets of strawberries and blackberries that couldn't fit in the fridge and were in danger of going off.

After the Minecraft themed cosmic yoga the other day the kids wanted to play the real game so my husband taught them this morning. The children are worryingly enthusiastic about hunting down sheep and chickens and killing them for meat.

We did a barbecue for lunch (despite the failed Tesco delivery of briquettes, we found an old bag of charcoal that just about did the job). Husband made beef and harissa koftas. I made halloumi and pepper skewers, new potatoes and a walnut, grapefruit and feta salad. The children mostly dug in the mud in the garden with sticks while we prepped food.

Made a shadow puppet theatre with the kids in the afternoon (from a toucanbox kit). Sold some turnips on Animal Crossing for a great profit and built a new stone step incline up a cliff with the proceeds.

A children's recipe book arrived that my husband had ordered to try and inspire us to cook more variety. I looked through it with the kids and said they could choose one main and one dessert for dinner if we had the ingredients. They chose tortilla wraps, son had his with cream cheese, carrot and cucumber, daughter had houmous, cucumber and avocado. For dessert they chose chocolate brownie mug cakes. If I had known the recipe for these at university, I don't think I would have ever cooked anything else. I had the last portion of my sweet potato and peanut stew.

I've invited my mum to come over tomorrow to sit two metres away from me in the park for an hour and chat. I'd love to give her a hug but I still don't think that's wise.

Did an explorers sticker book with the kids before bed. Half term is definitely more relaxing when
                                    ​I'm not trying to actively educate them.

​​​​​
                                    Even more variety?!

Comment

My cousin (well, one of the many) and her husband have been running a film quiz every Wednesday and frankly it's about all that's keeping me from going nuts, bless them.

My 9 year old daughter helped me ace the Lord of The Rings round, 10/10. She hasn't seen the films or (naturally) read the interminably dull book, but I have told the story to her as a "lights out" bedtime story.

On the downside, I wake up every morning, look in the mirror, see the continued horrible red blotch on my nose and feel filled with self loathing. I am a sad, vain creature and it makes me feel hideous. It puts me on a knife edge of hair trigger bad temper and given the lockdown pressure of work, being effectively confined to the house unlike cunt Cummings and his cunty acolytes, having shit sleep and wilful bloody kids, I basically lose my shit on a constant basis. I also cry at nothing, fucking ABBA's Thank You For The Music came on the radio the other day and I nigh on broke down. ABBA, for fuck's sake. I shouldn't say this here but I feel fucked up every which way and I have had enough. Brave face to the world, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Even more variety?!
                                        My husband grew up with a mother who catered for diplomatic banquets. She can cook virtually every dish in the entire Middle Eastern / European / British pantheon of cookery, and cook it very well. I grew up in a household where we had a roast once a week on Sunday and otherwise everyone fed themselves by heating stuff up out of the chest freezer or tins in the cupboard. Trying to find a happy medium between these childhood expectations of food is a constant struggle.

Comment

I want to kill someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                                            My cousin (well, one of the many) and her husband have been running a film quiz every Wednesday and frankly it's about all that's keeping me from going nuts, bless them.

My 9 year old daughter helped me ace the Lord of The Rings round, 10/10. She hasn't seen the films or (naturally) read the interminably dull book, but I have told the story to her as a "lights out" bedtime story.

On the downside, I wake up every morning, look in the mirror, see the continued horrible red blotch on my nose and feel filled with self loathing. I am a sad, vain creature and it makes me feel hideous. It puts me on a knife edge of hair trigger bad temper and given the lockdown pressure of work, being effectively confined to the house unlike cunt Cummings and his cunty acolytes, having shit sleep and wilful bloody kids, I basically lose my shit on a constant basis. I also cry at nothing, fucking ABBA's Thank You For The Music came on the radio the other day and I nigh on broke down. ABBA, for fuck's sake. I shouldn't say this here but I feel fucked up every which way and I have had enough. Brave face to the world, though.

I'm sorry to hear that, Eggy, (the bit about your mood rather than the quiz). Lots of people are struggling at the moment, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                              I want to kill someone.

Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                I want to kill someone.
                                                Anyone in particular, or would any "someone" do the job?

Comment

Day 68. Or 69? Thursday 28th May.

I've lost a day somehow. Tomorrow should be day 70. I can't be bothered to go back through all the entries and find where I repeated a number.

Edit: it turns out I could be bothered to check the dates and I'm actually already on day 70. Ten full weeks completed.

My mum couldn't visit today because she was waiting for a Morrison's food box delivery. Maybe tomorrow.

Had a nice shower this morning. Watched some Frozen Planet with the kids and did my hair and my daughter's hair.

Made another recipe from the new cookbook for lunch, pizza muffins, for the kids. Used the remaining tomato passata and yesterday's leftover new potatoes to make a potato arrabiata for me and my husband.

Took the kids out to the park in the afternoon. We did litter picking and football and tried to find all the nature trail pictures again. One that we definitely knew where it was (a dragonfly on a tree next to a bench) had mysteriously vanished. The spider one had moved. We couldn't refind the hedgehog. But we saw two families we know and someone has created a painted rock snake (a long wiggly line of rocks with a sign asking everyone to add their own rocks to it. Will be interesting to see if people add to it or if children can't resist pocketing them. A guy on a nearby bench said it had only been put there an hour previously).

Videoed my daughter singing happy birthday for one of her classmates (the park is a way better video background than anywhere in our house) then came home.

Kids played Minecraft while I did the dishwasher and made kale and basil pesto from scratch. There was a recipe for it in one of the kids' magazines, marketed as "Dino pesto pasta" and they promised to try it. So far they'd got used to jar pesto so I thought it was a fairly safe bet. Everyone ate it, so I have essentially reached the holy grail of managing to persuade my children to eat kale. I think this might be peak parenting. It can only go downhill from here.
                                                  ​​​​​​
                                                  Last edited by Balderdasha; 28-05-2020, 18:09.

Comment

My children are also displaying disturbingly non- vegetarian tendencies while playing Minecraft, almost bordering on psychotic. My daughter killed a llama just so she could use its harness to capture a horse as a pet. Then they caught a pig, named it "Snorty" and promptly killed it for its meat. Then they found a calf, said "how cute, a baby cow" swiftly followed by "I'm going to kill your mummy". I'm not at all sure I approve.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X