Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protecting one's mental health when told to self isolate & cut off social contact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People round here have been talking about putting Christmas lights back up. I couldn’t face doing that but our skeleton was going stir-crazy trapped indoors...

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

I always reminisced about playing Totopoly with my brother in our childhood. Someone bought me an old one off eBay for my 40th, then nobody would play it with me. I mean, nobody.
      We had a set of Totopoly and it was shunned even then. Maybe the collective palate for table top horseracing had been coarsened by the cheap thrills of Escalado.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

If I'm being completely honest the Isle of Dogs developments do tend to detract from the view of the Royal Naval College ever so slightly.
        Personally I really like the juxtaposition. During the Olympics I remember being at a horse riding event in the park. it was located in that area in front of Queen Anne's house. It was a glorious sunny day and the view across the river via the ONC to the Isle of Dogs is a memory that will live with me for a long time...joyful.

Comment

Our skeleton switched signs...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post

I haven't taken any new ones lately because I've been ill and not wanting to open the window to the cold, but here is the last one I took in September. It hasn't changed much since then.

Thank you for that!

How do you manage to get anything done with that to look at?

Comment

BT Sport 2 are currently showing Golazzo: The Story of Football Italia.
                its a super ducumentary that will bring memories flooding back.
                And you can tell Butch Wilkins isnae well.

Comment

Reba is staying close to mom.

Rio is safe at home.

Comment

ESPN did "The Ocho.*" Not sure if they'll do this more often or if that was a one off.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...schedule-guide

*In case you're not aware, the Ocho is a reference to the 2004 comedy film Dodgeball. At the time, ESPN had launched ESPN 2, but I don't think they'd started to brand the online platform as ESPN3 yet. Anyway, the film imagines a near future when there are at least eight ESPN channels and dodgeball is on number 8 and trying to attract a young audience).

Comment

These provide a chuckle or two:

Of course, books can be a balm in these terrifying times—but as the surge in sales of plague-related literature reveals, sometimes all we want to read are books

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                        These provide a chuckle or two:
                        That's very good.

Comment

Going through more black and white pics and will bore most of you, but here's my favorite hot dog place taken in 1995. We first hit it in the mid-70s. Sadly no longer in business. Hoping that Ursus and Flynnie have equally fond memories.

There's a big clue to discover its location.

Comment

Oh man

The endpoint of many late nights in and around North Beach (though I was a cheeseburger aficionado)

And the one on Lombard performed the same function for nights out on Union Street

Comment

We moved from Norway to the bay area and stayed for our first month at the Holiday Inn on Kearny across from Portsmouth Square. My brother and I were 12 and 10 so my mom was cool having us run around town by ourselves. Every time we go back to SF I get all nostalgic and wander through the old haunts. There's never a shortage of great places to eat, but I'd go nuts if Clown Alley came back.

I'd forgotten about the Lombard location. Don't know if we ever hit that one.

Comment

Wow.

I lived on Taylor off Clay and often used to walk by Portsmouth Square on my way to work in Jackson Square.

There were always Chinese of indeterminate age doing Tai Chi.

Comment

Yes! My brother and I totally dug the oldsters doing their exercises in the morning - this was the age of KUNG FU you know.

Comment

Not sure if this is gonna work but...
                                    https://twitter.com/ATLnewsgirl/stat...0878a2a48aa516

Comment

One advantage of working from home is that every day is Bring Your Dog to Work Day.

Comment

Originally posted by gt3 View Post
                                        Not sure if this is gonna work but...
                                        https://twitter.com/ATLnewsgirl/stat...0878a2a48aa516
                                        This did work, and was much appreciated. Same tweet, embedded:

https://twitter.com/ATLnewsgirl/status/1242933758409486336

Comment

Speaking for myself, I'm finding staying at home/social isolation less stressful in certain ways than how it was being in the office while things were starting to get serious in the US. Not worrying about trying to stay apart from everyone while there were the same amount of people on the street, not having to go to the bathroom to wash my hands after finding out that I didn't have a jacket or long sleeves on and I had to touch an elevator button with bare skin, etc. There are less possible sources of contact with the outside world.

Comment

The fine weather this week has meant I got the bench seat cushion here out of the garage to air, with the added bonus that it nicely hides the rather knackered-looking garden bench underneath. It makes the place feel that much more summery just like that.

Especially nice for sitting out in the evening to watch the stars come out (see astronomy thread) as it's nice and warm to lie on even as the air temperature drops. While the sun is on it, meanwhile, it's also very nice to sit out on to soak it up for a few minutes – not least if you're a cat. When I sat down next to Cider here, who was curled up there in the afternoon, he clearly decided he felt extra secure thanks to my presence so eventually just tucked his back into it and sprawled right out with paws up for maximum snoozing comfort:

Last edited by Various Artist; 27-03-2020, 22:47.

Comment

Cider is seriously relaxed there.

Comment

Maddy (with a mucky face) says 'hello'

Comment

That’s a cheeky face!

Comment

Is Cider a really large cat, or is that just a disorientating close up?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X