Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protecting one's mental health when told to self isolate & cut off social contact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m finding it difficult to suppress anxiety right now, which is an unusual experience for me, and have started rationing my newsfeed intakes to twice a day. It’s not that I’m desperate for social activity, but more that feeling frustrated knowing I shouldn’t and, now, mostly can’t even choose to do it if I want to if I’m going to be socially responsible.

Living rurally, I’m used to keeping physically isolated most of the time even when outdoors, anyway. I’m retired. And the wife’s around for company. But obviously some regular outings have had to go: gym, weekly pub ramble with mates, weekly “date” out with the missus, cultural space activities, watching football, other social engagements.

So I’ve fallen into a new daily timetable to give some structure and purpose: up & read news; short dog walk; go for jog and/or home exercise; mundane house chores, or do any essential shopping locally both for ourselves (& community members if required); longer lunchtime dog walk; afternoon DIY, gardening and book reading; early evening short dog walk; check news; dinner; evening tv streaming together. I may look to volunteer for other local activities where my help would prove useful rather than a nuisance, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

It doesn't help us having them around us in cages until we decide to eat them. Wasn't SARS from cats?
      There was speculation that SARS went from bats to civet cats (the wild ones that poop coffee beans) to humans. I don't think the source has ever been definitively proven though.

Comment

Blimey, as someone who's scared of dogs this thread is doing nothing for my anxiety (do keep sharing them if it helps others though, I'll just look away.)

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

There was speculation that SARS went from bats to civet cats (the wild ones that poop coffee beans) to humans. I don't think the source has ever been definitively proven though.
          It's in the link I posted on the previous page. The Chinese scientist traced it back to the bats.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
            I’m finding it difficult to suppress anxiety right now, which is an unusual experience for me, and have started rationing my newsfeed intakes to twice a day. It’s not that I’m desperate for social activity, but more that feeling frustrated knowing I shouldn’t and, now, mostly can’t even choose to do it if I want to if I’m going to be socially responsible.

Living rurally, I’m used to keeping physically isolated most of the time even when outdoors, anyway. I’m retired. And the wife’s around for company. But obviously some regular outings have had to go: gym, weekly pub ramble with mates, weekly “date” out with the missus, cultural space activities, watching football, other social engagements.

So I’ve fallen into a new daily timetable to give some structure and purpose: up & read news; short dog walk; go for jog and/or home exercise; mundane house chores, or do any essential shopping locally both for ourselves (& community members if required); longer lunchtime dog walk; afternoon DIY, gardening and book reading; early evening short dog walk; check news; dinner; evening tv streaming together. I may look to volunteer for other local activities where my help would prove useful rather than a nuisance, too.

I'd say you've just about nailed it there, mate. Excellent social re-restructuring if I may say so.

Comment

Ah, wasn't there one that originated from Cats?
              Yes, ringworm.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                I'd say you've organised your self into a heck of a lot better a structure there than most slackster, hats off. Good luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                  And great dogs people.
                  I trust Miss Emily is OK, Sits?

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                    Some of us have an edge here--those who were already working from home, for example. Those of us who don't require a lot of social contact, or who even avoid it most of the time. Some people call it self-isolation. I call it Tuesday.
                    Yeah, this is me.

Comment

Actually, GY, it's Wednesday...

Comment

People at work are stressing me out. I don't know if they're freaking out because of the stock market or because it's coming up on quarter end or the virus or what, but they need to chill the fuck out.

Comment

Likely a combination of all of that and more.

I got an email this morning about a matter from 2013 . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                            I trust Miss Emily is OK, Sits?
                            She is thanks for askin VA, plodding along in her sedate way and sleeping a lot at fourteen and a half. Anyone with an arthritic dog, I’d recommend Cartrophen injections. For the dog, not you. Although who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              Likely a combination of all of that and more.

I got an email this morning about a matter from 2013 . . .
                              I think you jinxed me. I got an email about something I worked on in 2016. I hate having to revisit old work--I struggle to remember details of what I did last week.

Comment

But in better news, I learned that the little grocery shop (I guess I could call it a bodega) downstairs is still open until midnight. And they have milk and water and even toilet paper, although I don't need the latter right now. I tried to use the two delivery services I normally use, but Fresh Direct had no time slots for the next five days and Instacart seemed to be out of stock on almost everything. So I'll be doing a little old skool shopping tonight. I feel like I've taken that little shop for granted, and now I'm very grateful that it exists. After this is over, I will make a point of shopping there on a regular basis.

Comment

Ach!

Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Casper View Post
                                    Andrew Lloyd Sturge-Weber syndrome?

Never mind photos of dogs, I'd be happy with a photo of Femme Folle's view every day.
                                    I haven't taken any new ones lately because I've been ill and not wanting to open the window to the cold, but here is the last one I took in September. It hasn't changed much since then.

Comment

Wow. That's a clean shot.

Comment

Thanks, Cal.

Comment

We have a local roadrunner who often hangs around the house. Yesterday he made it to the top of our roof.

Comment

Roadrunners always make me happy when I see them

Comment

Along w/ owls, my favorite birds.

Comment

Do people realise the reason why we have these diseases are down to our unhealthily close proximity to animals?

SARS, MERS, Corona Virus
                                                It’s because we eat them in large quantities and destroy their habitats. They do not come from companions.

Comment

VA has it right. OTF a sanctuary of common sense these days. Please be tolerant of each other and respect some people might be more stressed than usual. Mollie says Hi.

Comment

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post
                                                    Along w/ owls, my favorite birds.
                                                    Little Miss AE loves owls, we've managed to find her only one owl toy, from poundland of all places, because al the other toys have eyes that come off and she's too young to understand not everything is edible. She's got about half a dozen owl story books and loves doing her owl impression.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X