Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protecting one's mental health when told to self isolate & cut off social contact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protecting one's mental health when told to self isolate & cut off social contact

I'm actually concerned about this one.

Whether I'll survive intact, or sane, or together without suffering a complete breakdown

Anyway.

As you were

Keep visiting OTF for starters. There's a ton of people on this site that to one degree or another I feel I 'know', and certainly a few of those I think genuinely care about me to some extent even if we've never met and are hundreds or thousands of miles apart, which is an oddly reassuring thing. And frankly in most cases people on here are full of more sensible and enlightening attitudes/advice/etc. than a lot of people I actually know. The OTF community is going to be a real lifeline for keeping our sanity in the coming weeks.

Comment

Advice here, Guy: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51873799

Stay strong, mate.

Comment

Another thing that is good about this happening now as opposed to even a few years ago is that Anglo-American society, at least, seems to take mental health a lot more seriously than it used to. Even the epidemiologists who are screaming "shut it all down" (and for good reason) are also well aware that social isolation is a major problem too.

I have yet to see anyone post one of those Keep Calm and Carry On signs.

Comment

Some of us have an edge here--those who were already working from home, for example. Those of us who don't require a lot of social contact, or who even avoid it most of the time. Some people call it self-isolation. I call it Tuesday.

Comment

You, Femme Folle (I'll be surprised if I did that right) have a large part to play in this. I'm sure a large number of us would be grateful if you could post a pic of Teddy each day. Bearing in mind that I'm not expecting to see many dogs in real life for a while.

Comment

Comment

Teddy!!! My, how you've grown!!!

(Cheers HP)

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                  Cue a joke about HP posting pictures of his Tonka

Comment

pebblethefish Happy to oblige.

Comment

Well, if we're showing dog pics...here's Rio back from her morning walk. Tonka and Teddy look very content.
                      Last edited by Cal Alamein; 18-03-2020, 00:48.

Comment

You appear to have taught him to walk himself. This seems like an excellent solution to the need for early morning walkies, but what are you doing to replace the exercise?

Comment

She does well grabbing her own leash until another dog or human is nearby. I normally give her the leash the last 100 yards of our walk if the coast is clear.
                          Last edited by Cal Alamein; 18-03-2020, 00:48.

Comment

We just walked about three miles through town. Saw five or six other people and two other dogs.

Comment

Sam takes his photo-bombing very seriously

Comment

Do people realise the reason why we have these diseases are down to our unhealthily close proximity to animals?

SARS, MERS, Corona Virus

Comment

I read that those diseases come from bats. Bats have very strong immune systems (they can't afford to fall out of the sky when sick), so the viruses in bats are stronger than in other mammals.

And with the destruction of the natural habitats of bats, they are getting stressed and coming into human areas and spitting and urinating on things.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                    I read that those diseases come from bats. Bats have very strong immune systems (they can't afford to fall out of the sky when sick), so the viruses in bats are stronger than in other mammals.

And with the destruction of the natural habitats of bats, they are getting stressed and coming into human areas and spitting and urinating on things.
                                    It doesn't help us having them around us in cages until we decide to eat them. Wasn't SARS from cats?

Comment

Sars was also from bats, as far as I know.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-coronavirus1/

Comment

Ah, wasn't there one that originated from Cats?

Comment

Andrew Lloyd Sturge-Weber syndrome?

Never mind photos of dogs, I'd be happy with a photo of Femme Folle's view every day.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post

The school children of Carlisle have spent some time discussing this, and their consensus is apparently that it has been caused by people in China putting even more bats than usual in the bat soup, "to make it more batty". Although there is a minority report which attributes it to "someone eating a manky snake".

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                              Keep visiting OTF for starters. There's a ton of people on this site that to one degree or another I feel I 'know', and certainly a few of those I think genuinely care about me to some extent even if we've never met and are hundreds or thousands of miles apart, which is an oddly reassuring thing. And frankly in most cases people on here are full of more sensible and enlightening attitudes/advice/etc. than a lot of people I actually know. The OTF community is going to be a real lifeline for keeping our sanity in the coming weeks.
                                              Well said VA.

Guy Profumo take care.

Comment

And great dogs people.

Comment

Another untroubled hound for you.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X