Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protecting one's mental health when told to self isolate & cut off social contact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We’ve been doing this jigsaw. My knowledge of cycling kit and logos has made it less of a mystery/puzzle process than jigsaws usually are but very enjoyable. It took me down a rabbit hole of Scarponi memories and stories (he’s in the foreground right) which always bring a lump to my throat.

Comment

For the first time in my life I am tending to and nurturing houseplants. Now, a couple of these are growing in a cupboard under intense light, with then intention that somewhere down the line I will have a bountiful harvest of cannabis, but I care just as much for the tradescantia a friend gave me before all this started (and from which I have also begun a cutting), as well as the other as-yet-unidentified-by-me spiderwort said friend gave me a as a cutting.

Inspired by a photo exhibition I recently saw at Huis Marseille, I intend on taking a jar of water and some secateurs with me on this evening's walk around the block, to see if there's any urban weeds I can perhaps make a clone of.

I've no real idea what I'm doing, having never done any of this before, but I'm finding it a soothing and pleasurable thing to do.

Comment

Mrs HORN has dusted off her Pandora's Box - the bread maker.

Comment

Actually, bread's another thing I've been tinkering with which, given I've no oven at home (nor yeast, nor rolling pin, nor etc. etc.), is another interesting challenge. Lots of flatbreads of varying quality getting made.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
            Is Cider a really large cat, or is that just a disorientating close up?
            Hah, a bit of both I suspect pebble. He is a moderately large cat – in the sense of being 'big-boned' rather than fat – but he's also stretched right out there and there's not any particular sense of scale in the picture otherwise either.

It's surprisingly hard, looking through my photos, to find a shot of him in good context sizewise, but this is him last summer on my lap on the same bench seat if it's any indication:

Comment

Nice tracky-daks / socks combo VA.

Comment

Poppy and Chipotle are hanging in there...

Comment

Nice auxiliary coathanger there.

Comment

Wondered for a moment who the third cat was, before cottoning on...

Judging by the 'step' shelves I think I can see between the hanging pictures, and the strip of carpet along the high shelf, that's specially-built cat terrain. Super stuff SB.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                      Nice tracky-daks / socks combo VA.
                      Heh, thanks Sits. They're three-quarter length shorts I've had for a decade and that come out for a bit of a wear here and there in the summer when I remember. The socks are Karrimor trainer socks and are excellent – they have nice reinforced/cushioned/grippy bits around the toes and heel and come complete with an invaluable L and R on to aid the application of the correct sock to the correct foot:

That is not a pair, by the way.

Comment

For some people it might be.

Comment

Cider appears to be both very black and very not-black in those two pictures, VA.....do you have two cats with the same name?

Comment

Our skeleton, who's on the previous page, changes his sign every day. It turns out he's become a bit of a local star. I keep seeing cars pull up and take photos, and a couple of elderly walkers today said (from a presumably safe distance of several meters) that they look forward to seeing skeleton every day and it keeps them in their routine of walking the neighborhood. It's kind of warming to know that we're helping keep people entertained in their relative lock-down.

Comment

That's brilliant SB. Keep up the good work! If you starting runny out of pithy sayings for his signs, you can always crowdsource some ideas on OTF of course.

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post
                                Cider appears to be both very black and very not-black in those two pictures, VA.....do you have two cats with the same name?
                                It's amazing, isn't it? That's not a trick of the photography, or Photoshop or anything, either – he really does appear very black when indoors or in shade, but shows up a really intense chocolatey colour in direct sunshine.

I think it's to do with the fluffier undercoat, whatever you call that, being more brown while the guard hairs of the topcoat are black, and when the light is indirect the latter reflect or refract it so the black's all you really see. In stronger sunlight you see 'through' to the colour underneath. Something like that, anyway.

Comment

Doesn't sound plausible to me tbh. There's two cats and they're playing you for a fool VA.

Comment

Dr. Jekyll

Mrs. Hyde

Comment

1st day we've seen moths out. Bees are a'buzzing on our lavender plants.

Comment

That’s gorgeous Cal, as are the hounds clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gawpus View Post
                                          Doesn't sound plausible to me tbh. There's two cats and they're playing you for a fool VA.
                                          Bugger! Not again.

Literally as I read that, too, he (one of him, anyway) walked into the room, hopped up on my bed and gave me a shifty glance before starting to very deliberately lick himself without meeting my gaze. Hmmmm.

Comment

Love the painted lady meanwhile Cal. I'd only seen brimstones before today, but was out dogwalking earlier and there was what I'm 90% sure was a comma fluttering around on a roadside verge covered with dandelions, celandines and daisies. Tried to walk around it to see its sunny side, so to speak, but it got spooked and flew off too fast for me to definitively ID it unfortunately.

My brother spotted one of the wonderful large hoverflies in the Volucella genus yesterday, which are bee-sized and do a good job mimicking them. I think it was a Volucella pellucens, since the inanis and zonaria species I've also seen before are more distinctive with their buff and orange colourations, whereas this one would have been more like this:

Comment

This is the thread for cute dog pictures, right?

Comment

https://www.hindustantimes.com/it-s-...7gp5TJTGI.html

Comment

That's amazing. To think those mountains are 200km away almost fries the brain, but the fact they've reappeared in view for the first time in 30 years after only 3 weeks of decreased air pollution is something quite heartening.

Comment

I haven’t shown you Skeleton in a while, but I thought I’d share this one...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X