Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protecting one's mental health when told to self isolate & cut off social contact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gt3 View Post
    Lovey pic. When I left in 98 that single Canary Wharf tower stuck out on its own. Now you can barely see the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
      Of course! It’s a big bed.
      I see, for reasons of cultural sensitivity I will leave that there......

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
        Nice moggy.

And stair rods! That’s not something you see every day. We had them in our last place in the UK.
        And some expensive looking carpet. Looks like Cormar 80/20 Berwick twist....

Comment

Forgive me, but what's the point of carpet on stairs?

Comment

No missing pieces, and yes SB, the white pieces w/ only grid lines were a bastard. I looked to find an updated one and there's a 1000 pc version but it's all sold out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

I see, for reasons of cultural sensitivity I will leave that there......
              We do things differently here in the Colonies. My dog and I are engaged to be married. We have not yet set a date, however. This whole virus thing put our plans on hold.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                Forgive me, but what's the point of carpet on stairs?
                Noise abatement? Slip prevention? Because it looks nice?

Comment

Yes. Simply not common here

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                    Multi-level cat scratching post, if the state of my stair carpet is anything to go by.

Comment

Lovey pic. When I left in 98 that single Canary Wharf tower stuck out on its own. Now you can barely see the tip.
                      It's nuts, isn't it? Yes, for what felt the longest time there was just the three towers there on their own, and 'Canary Wharf Tower' (1 Canada Square, or whatever you want to call it) was the most obvious thing by miles. Now it's virtually impossible to tell it's there even.

Comment

I see there's been some chatter about Poppy's name. We started off naming our cats spicily - Tabasco was the tabby, then we got an orange kitten so he was Chipotle. After Tabasco died we got two black-and-white kittens, which aren't really good for chili/pepper names, so they are Sesame and Poppy. I had no idea that Poppy wasn't a common cat name. But I'll be more surprised if there are other Sesames, Chipotles and Tabascos among the OTF catterati.

Comment

I’ve been trying to text people I haven’t talked to in a while. One of my friends is an ER nurse near Philly. He seems generally upbeat because of his new relationship - very soon after a divorce - but he thinks 4% of the population is going to die. Or something like that. That didn’t help my psychological health.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post

All of the above.

Comment

Managed to galvanise my sorry arse off the sofa long enough to do a couple of chores while Mrs. S is working 10am-2pm.

First put our bedlinen through the wash and hung it on the line. The duvet cover got an extra quick wash after I dropped it on its initial hanging. Seems strange using "duvet" when here they're known as "doonas". It's just occurred to me that might be a phonetic shortening of "eiderdown" in a Scots accent. A lot of many-generational Aussies are of Scots or Irish heritage.

After that I mixed up some filler and patched up a skirting board after a big heavy picture fell on it on Friday. Actually it's not a picture but the original plans for the house, in pencil from the 1930s which we were amazed to be presented by the previous owners. We had them professionally framed but they hang in a shady spot where the sun never shines on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                I’ve been trying to text people I haven’t talked to in a while. One of my friends is an ER nurse near Philly. He seems generally upbeat because of his new relationship - very soon after a divorce - but he thinks 4% of the population is going to die. Or something like that. That didn’t help my psychological health.
                                Take care of yourself and Tonka HP.

Comment

Yes, exactly that

Comment

All of the above.
                                    I guess that having lived without carpets of any kind for more than 30 years has had its effects!

Comment

If I were to write out a statement of what I wanted to happen to my pets and my belongings in the event of my death, would it be legally binding even if not notarized?

Comment

You likely would need it to be witnessed (by two people in NJ) if you want it to be watertight.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

I guess that having lived without carpets of any kind for more than 30 years has had its effects!
                                          There are obviously climate effects at work here, but it is very standard for multi-family dwellings here to require that a given percentage of floor space have some kind of covering as a noise suppression measure (our building's rules require 70 percent of non-kitchen or bathroom floor space, but it is not vigorously enforced).

Comment

That's interesting. It's warm temperate here (stupid max temps and humid in summer and very occasionally nudging as low as a light frost in winter. We have carpet much as we did in the UK. Basically everywhere bar the entrance hall and kitchen (wood) and bathroom tiles.

Sporting may have warmer winter lows?

Comment

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post
                                              No missing pieces, and yes SB, the white pieces w/ only grid lines were a bastard. I looked to find an updated one and there's a 1000 pc version but it's all sold out.

Kudos, that didn’t take you lomg.

Comment

Sporting has warmer winter lows (though my guess is that they may seem temperate compared to Sudan), but also lives in a place where ceramic tiles are both a major industry and an integral part of home design.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  You likely would need it to be witnessed (by two people in NJ) if you want it to be watertight.
                                                  Would the concierge and the doorman do?

Comment

They should

Comment

Working...
                                                    X