Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protecting one's mental health when told to self isolate & cut off social contact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Nan was obsessed with owls. Ornaments, stuffed ones, pictures, the house was crammed. When she died, all the grandchildren were asked if they wanted something of Nanna's to remind us of her. I felt a bit silly when I plumped for Oscilla, the stuffed owl that sat on the back of a sofa, instead of asking for a large and expensive piece of furniture. Turns out eight of the nine of us wanted a particular owl-related item (surprisingly, all different ones). The ninth child wanted her old bible, but he's like that.

Comment

I used to have a thing about penguins.

Comment

Until Cal’s photo the only Roadrunner I ever saw was a cartoon.

Beautiful day in Sydney today. Working from home - well, work basic - was horrible. Walking the dog was lovely.

Comment

I saw a roadrunner in Death Valley. I also have a carved ironwood roadrunner on the bureau.

Comment

I found myself in the same boat as Guy from yesterday. Unfortunately, I don't have a great network around me so looking at useful info (including on OTF), I stopped using Twitter/Facebook and don't have anything to do with BBC stuff so, not too bad. Just putting plans together to get through the next couple of weeks. If you know anyone near you (In the UK) that needs to rely on energy key top-ups, this link may be of use.

Comment

Good spot with that MarkF . It's the only bit of panic buying I've done - I put £50 on my electric key last week, which is a good two months worth, but it's the sort of thing you often forget about.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                I saw a roadrunner in Death Valley. I also have a carved ironwood roadrunner on the bureau.
                They would be a perfect Death Valley bird.

This is a young roadrunner who hung around the house for awhile, no sign of mother bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post

They would be a perfect Death Valley bird.

This is a young roadrunner who hung around the house for awhile, no sign of mother bird.
                  He's gorgeous!

Comment

They're cute as hell when young, but cocky little bastards once they get older.

Comment

You sound like a teacher.

Comment

You got it. Currently working on some online Ancient Rome lessons to justify my next paycheck.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post

I haven't taken any new ones lately because I've been ill and not wanting to open the window to the cold, but here is the last one I took in September. It hasn't changed much since then.

Just wow FF... I saw on the news today that the air in NYC has got really clean. Friend of mine sent me some pictures of Venice's canal - clear and full of fish again!

Even though I'm not a pet person, I've really appreciated the pictures of dogs. They just put a smile on your face. like crocodiles of primary school kids in at Cannon Street station where I come in when I'm off to work. Just smiles.

I'm not used to working at home at all. It does feel very weird and isolating. And like Guy Profumo (to whom I'm grateful for starting this thread) I have my own "issues" with mental health. My gym has closed and I am going to start missing the interaction with colleagues and friends. So, I guess I'll be here more often. Thank heavens for OTF - we would have to invent it if it didn't exist!

Comment

Some of the Venice photos are faked, but the video from Repubblica is real.

Much hazier today. There is a fully laden fuel oil barge moored between us and FF, perhaps waiting to see if prices improve.

Comment

That's disappointing ua re the Venice pictures. Do you have a link to the video you're referring to?

Let's hope no-one lights a match near the fuel barge!

Comment

As someone who's used to working from home, the shutting of the gym is going to be tough because that's one of the places I remain social on my otherwise quiet work schedule. On the whole I'm fairly well adapted to being an antisocial shut-in, though, like many of the other WFH freelancers I know.

Comment

She’s not a dog, but Poppy the Kitten seems pretty
                                  relaxed right now. Which is odd, because she is the cat for whom the term “scaredy-cat” was devised.

Comment

I can't seem to embed it, but here is the video from Repubblica

https://video.repubblica.it/dossier/...511?ref=search

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                      She’s not a dog, but Poppy the Kitten seems pretty
                                      relaxed right now. Which is odd, because she is the cat for whom the term “scaredy-cat” was devised.

We had a cat called Poppy. I wonder if it's a common feline name.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        I can't seem to embed it, but here is the video from Repubblica

https://video.repubblica.it/dossier/...511?ref=search
                                        Thanks ua

Comment

Never a problem

As someone who has spent a decent amount of time in the city over the last 40 years, that clip will never cease to amaze me

Comment

I sometimes have owls in my yard

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  Never a problem

As someone who has spent a decent amount of time in the city over the last 40 years, that clip will never cease to amaze me
                                                  You and me both

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rist-free-city

Comment

Working...
                                                    X