The very minor pluses of Covid19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
    At midnight tonight we will have gone two whole months without using coal to generate electricity, smashing the previous record of 18 days 6 hours and 10 minutes.
    Drax burning wood pellets is NOT FUCKING RENEWABLE ENERGY

Comment

At Walthamstow last night we had 292 in for our FA Cup tie against London Lions - our highest attendance since Aldershot brought 700-odd in 1996.

It looks like the lack of football (or anything else being on), and people trying to do things more locally since lockdown started have helped us massively.

It's helps that were not relegation fodder anymore, and we've been doing a lot more in the community over the last couple of years to publicise the club, but we've come a long way since a game in Feb 2017 when we were able to declare the attendance on a first-name basis.

Comment

I've been told at work there's a tax allowance every employee is free to apply for if they've been working from home because of COVID. It won't make you rich, but it's fifty quid or so which is better than a kick in the plums. I've not looked myself but apparently go on gov.uk and look up 'working from home'. If every self-employed person can avoid paying tax as far as humanly possible I don't see why employees shouldn't dirty their noses in the same trough.

Comment

I applied for it a couple of months back - worked out at an extra ?46 in my monthly wage, so certainly not to be sniffed at.

Comment

Done it, they made it very easy too. Need to try claim a few things like printer and chair too...

Comment

I'm finally able to start the process of reclaiming the money we paid MSC for the Med cruise we couldn't take in September. Their policy was that they'd hold onto our money and offer us a free swap for any alternative we wanted to take up until January 31st, but clearly that's not been possible. I hope they don't come up with another reason not to refund us just because the crew have spent it all on Gitanes.
              Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 30-01-2021, 14:55.

Comment

I like watching the sign language interpreters when there are announcements about vaccinations.

Some do a wee jab in the arm, others go for a full flourish and stab themselves in the heart.

Comment

This thread is a year old today...

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                    Everyone's been saying that we should use the lockdown to achieve things you've always meant to, so I finally got round to properly cataloguing my sporting hat collection.

The Sporting Hats Of Lockdown. I thought I should catalogue the additions to my collection over the last year or so now that knit hat weather (and all the other nonsense) is hopefully coming to an end

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 19-09-2022, 17:44.

Comment

I sleep better. I live on a main road and, since the nine o'clock curfew, there haven't been any cars or motorbikes.

I'd prefer cars and motorbikes, although I'm licenced to control neither, and I despise both. Curfews are worse than cars and motorbikes.

Comment

Nice new selection RdG. Stal Gorzow and Brondby the standouts for me.

Comment

I appreciate the time taken to colour coordinate them.

Personally, I wouldn't have discriminated against the bobble free ones in the middle of the fifth row. If you'd hadn't discriminated, you could have had a full row of red by moving the Wales bobble free and Devils to the bottom row. The Jets and Hibs could then be moved to the outside spots in row four. This would continue the strong start you've made with the fifth row yellow topped outside position hats.
                          I'd have also swapped Brondby and Plough Lane to keep the yellow trimmed hats central in their row.

Good try though.

Comment

As it's another lousy lockdown today I thought I'd do what I did in the previous ones and catalogue the additions to my sporting hat collection.

What do we glean from the latest update? ;

a) I've finally found a rich seam of good club speedway bobble hats
                            b) I'm buying an increasing number of caps. Proof, if proof be needed, of the effects of climate change.
                            c) I'm still largely resisting the bucket hat trend unless I really like the subject and design.

Comment

I see that the Dallas Stars have an IP infringement claim

Comment

Cricket Wales, King's Lynn Stars, Partick Thistle and the LA Dodgers?

There are unlikely sporting cross-sections, and then there's RdG's hat collection. Bravo, sir.

Comment

Have to say I'm very disappointed seeing a Dodgers cap in there.

Comment

All I want for Christmas is a Dukla Prague away hat.

Comment

Not quite sure if this really fits here but there isn't a suitable thread on the World Cup forum and this is where my hat collection has previously been recorded for posterity.

I give you the 2022 World Cup Flag (largely) Bobble Hat Collection. I thought I'd jazz up the presentation by modelling them for you, mostly on my daily dog walk, but realise now it has the look of a performance art piece.

This represents 24 of the 28 teams I saw in the tournament. They didn't make one for Netherlands (I don't know why) and I didn't want to wear one for pernicious oppressive regimes so didn't buy a Qatar or England one.

Can anyone offer a theory as to why the Tunisia, Cameroon and Mexico ones aren't based on their flags or feature them on the cuff as all the others do? I presume in the case of the former it is because of the religious symbols but not sure on the other two.

I've also got the hats below but didn't get to my planned Croatia v Morocco game as it was too far away to be accessible and over-excitedly bought the Poland one forgetting I wasn't ever seeing them play. I've seen Croatia and Poland play before so feel I can legitimately wear those ones but will clearly have to make catching a Morocco game a priority before that one can be sported.

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 02-01-2023, 16:06.

Comment

Outstanding

My guess is that the wordmark associations didn't get there designs in on time and got a default.

It could also be that they had contracts with other parties for flag-based merch and/or have local legislation prohibiting "flag desecration" (as exist in the US but have not been enforced for yonks).

Comment

Amazing.

Comment

3. Belgium
                                            They've got the flag in the correct proportions and the red trim matches nicely.
                                            2. Japan
                                            A bland flag but the blue contrast immediately tells you it's football related (without seeing the badge)
                                            1. Australia
                                            Just a quality hat with proper looking stars

Worst.
                                            Canada
                                            That is not a maple leaf
                                            Wales
                                            The dragon looks pregnant

Comment

I fear the angle of photo (or shape of my head) may not be flattering to the ones you dislike.

They are actually two of my favourites (obviously the Wales hat is one of my most beloved things of all time) but I'll acknowledge they are difficult flags to adapt for this genre.

Here they are flat, as it were, to judge :

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 03-01-2023, 01:30.

Comment

Fantastic hattery! And if I may say so, you have a face that suits a bobble hat. I suspect it may not work quite as well with a straw boater but I’d love to see an exhibition devoted to you sporting a range of headgear.

It would certainly be more entertaining than any of the terrestrial TV channel’s output I’ve had the misfortune to witness over the festive period.

Comment

Ghana and Senegal are nice

Comment

Covid, or more exactly lockdown, seriously cut down my alcohol intake, which was noticeable this new year's eve. Up to 2020, I would automatically head to the pub, and drink and spend way to much, feeling regret about both on the 1st January. This year everything was back open, but I wasn't remotely interested, a couple of bottles of Moretti watching Match of the Day and the Hootenanny suited me perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X