No announcement yet.

The very minor pluses of Covid19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I've been googling garlic soup recipes for that very reason. Plus it's virucidal.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
      That;s what happens when the producers can't pack the audience with gammon and Tory shills.
      Or the National Front

Comment

Same thing.

Comment

I'm working from home and have developed a routine of going for a walk at the end of the afternoon. There are quite a few people doing the same thing, apart from the odd cyclist or jogger there's not really a problem with maintaining social distance, and what's especially striking is that people are nodding at each other, smiling and sometimes even saying Hello. It's as if MK has suddenly moved 100 miles further north.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

But pineapple isn't the opposite of Jaffa. It's just not jaffa.
            ad hoc's right. It's not an oxymoron. It what you youngsters claim is an "oxymoron" when, in fact, it's just "wrong".

Comment

We have/had a curved garden "feature" of river rocks in our front yard. It's been an ever increasing pain in the arse since we moved here. The weeds eventually grow through the gardening felt and surround the pebbles making them a really bugger to uproot. This Spring I decided to turn the whole shebang into a flower bed, but first I have to get rid of the rocks. Ugh! It's taken almost a week to get almost half of it done. Today it began to rain which is supposed to last into next week, so I'm on an enforced break. It feels good though, and gets me lots of 'real guy' cred from the neighbours. (I know they had their doubts.)

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
                I'm working from home and have developed a routine of going for a walk at the end of the afternoon. There are quite a few people doing the same thing, apart from the odd cyclist or jogger there's not really a problem with maintaining social distance, and what's especially striking is that people are nodding at each other, smiling and sometimes even saying Hello. It's as if MK has suddenly moved 100 miles further north.
                Lot of that round this way. I try to at least nod or smile when I pass people when I'm out running, and did so even before this situation. I'm trying to vary my routine but end up running first thing 3-4 a week, which means I'm starting to see the same people at the same points whenever I'm out and I've progressed to an exchange of hearty "good morning!"s with most of the regulars.

Comment

Prior to this kerfuffle I'd taken part in 2 10KM runs (Rochdale 1992, Rochdale 1993) and that was that apart from a few gentle Parkruns last year.

I have run three 10KMs this month.

Comment

The last 2 years, there's been a fella parking his helicopter in a field off the Liverpool to Southport road and putting a sign up advertising pleasure flights. He seems to have a licence to do this 10-12 days a year and starts up at Easter. The problem is, on more than half his flights, he banks round within a couple of hundred yards of our house at fairly low altitude, and it's bloody noisy - you certainly can't hear the telly while he's passing.

Anyway - Easter has come and gone, and the low-flying cunt is nowhere to be seen.

Comment

Fingers crossed he's gone bust and his helicopter has been repossessed.

Comment

I know people keep joking about nature returning during the lockdown but whilst I was putting the bins out, my dog just snuck out and chased a badger up the street.

Bearing in mind we live about half a mile from Loughborough town centre and I haven't seen a live badger in years (plenty of dead ones on the roads around Loughborough) this was a bit of a shock.

Comment

I've stocked up on plenty of cheap helicopter fuel, so I reckon I'm going to be able to do a load of extra pleasure flights over Formby next year

Comment

Someone claimed there was a badger on the streets of Peckham today.

Comment

Sadly, Morrissey discarded that lyric.

Comment

I've just booked a cheap helicopter flight in the Liverpool/Southport area. We're going to fly during the evening, so hopefully people will be off the streets and relaxing at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                                  I've stocked up on plenty of cheap helicopter fuel, so I reckon I'm going to be able to do a load of extra pleasure flights over Formby next year
                                  Well, if you have room for two more.....

Comment

Sod it, count me in too - might as well see what my garden looks like from the air.

Comment

The UK has gone 28 days without using coal for power generation, setting a new record (well, "since 1882") Expected to keep going with activity still low and better weather coming.
                                      Coal powered electricity down 92% since 2015, which also not bad going (yeah, I know, nuclear, but still).

Also, no pedestrians in New York City have been killed by vehicles for 58 days, which is a new record (although records only began in 1983).
                                      New York's Transport Commissioner is called Polly Trottenberg, which is also excellent.

Comment

Kowalski's posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                          Kowalski's posts.
                                          Yes, seeing him return and posting excellent stuff regularly as well as him reminiscing about Whitmore Reans has been great.

Good spot Gangster Octopus

Comment

I was due to go to Wimbledon this year for a first ever visit. 2 tickets for court number 1 and the outer courts on the 2nd Monday. Obviously, I knew it was cancelled but I'd forgotten about the refund. Getting 250 quid dropped back in my account was a lovely surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                                              I was due to go to Wimbledon this year for a first ever visit. 2 tickets for court number 1 and the outer courts on the 2nd Monday. Obviously, I knew it was cancelled but I'd forgotten about the refund. Getting 250 quid dropped back in my account was a lovely surprise.
                                              If only ryanair and co were so cooperative.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

If only ryanair and co were so cooperative.
                                                I feel your pain there pal. We gave up on a refund with them for flights to Norway and took the vouchers instead. It was less hassle and hopefully we'll get the chance to use them.

Comment

At midnight tonight we will have gone two whole months without using coal to generate electricity, smashing the previous record of 18 days 6 hours and 10 minutes.

On Wednesday, Britain will mark two months without burning any coal to generate power.

Comment

I had my car MOT'd this morning and I've driven 4,000 fewer miles last year than the one before. That's entirely attributable to working from home, and must have had some benefit to the ecology and that.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X