No announcement yet.

The very minor pluses of Covid19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting the same earworm every time you post Lobachevsky!

Comment

Originally posted by Lobachevsky View Post
      Beautiful spring day, massively reduced traffic on the roads. Was today the best day ever for cycling in the UK.
      Not if you live with Ms Felicity who works set hours and by the time she’d clocked off there was only time for a potter on the quayside

Comment

I've been locked down too long, "by the time she clocked off there was only time for a potter on the quayside" sounded like an admission of some kiln-based dalliance.

Comment

It's kept the mother-in-law away.

Comment

Nature's definitely bouncing back. Quite literally in our case, we've got a toad in our garden. Little fellow, yellow and black like a really crap away kit.

Comment

Nature is doing more than bouncing back. Mrs Thistle reckons a bumblebee flew in through the bathroom window, weed on the window sill, then flew out again. Do bees wee?

Anyway two pluses.

1) Minor plus - the contactless spend limit is increasing to £45 (according the email Mrs Thistle just got from the CEO of Asda)

2) Major plus - my neighbour has just got a job after 6 months looking, part of the massive recruitment drive in the local NHS

Comment

I'm enjoying exchanging smiles with the strangers I meet on my constitutionals, as we step into roads or off paths to give each other a huge passing distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                  Nature's definitely bouncing back. Quite literally in our case, we've got a toad in our garden. Little fellow, yellow and black like a really crap away kit.
                  For some of us, crappy yellow and black is our standard strip, I'll have you know.

This, sadly, is the state the first ever outright champions of Scotland is reduced to.

A bit more seriously, we've also been reduced to begging our players (already part timers) to take half wages during the shut down.

Comment

IT occurred to me, during the 8pm clap, that people might genuinely realise what a fucking great thing the NHS is and how we have got to fight tooth and nail to keep hold of it in its' current state (or even better).

Comment

Distancing means a lot more TV interviews are Skype instead of studio, so there are plenty of background bookshelves and tacky wall decorations to judge and mock.

Comment

I came out of my house this afternoon and could smell a strong waft of shit. it took me a while to realise its the smell of farmland that's a mile and a half away. makes a change from the stench of car fumes. also my lungs are really clear when going for my daily runs.

Comment

On the 'nature is bouncing back' bit, sadly my local authority has ended recycling collections. All back in one bin, collected once a week...tips closed too.

Comment

My mate in the NHS appreciated the clap, but said he'd rather I went in and did his shift for him instead.

Comment

We were actually busy eating, we figured that if one of us is NHS we can skip it...

Wonder if the knobheads next door who have given us endless noise disturbances for over a year knowing full well the missus job were out clapping...

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                IT occurred to me, during the 8pm clap, that people might genuinely realise what a fucking great thing the NHS is and how we have got to fight tooth and nail to keep hold of it in its' current state (or even better).
                                once this is all over, they will be back to moaning how nurses are getting paid 40K a year to take your temperature and administer cough mixture and the lazy doctors on 100K per year.

Comment

I want one of those badges that say "Hated by the Daily Mail" which are coveted in the NHS.

Comment

Not exactly a minor plus: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-52053738

Comment

I wave to everyone I can, even while driving, especially if they have a dog.

Comment

The Henley Festival has been postponed until July 2021 because of the coronavirus outbreak.

The black-tie music festival was due to take place from 8-12 July. It will now return next year with the full 2020 line-up including headliners James Blunt, Madness and Sophie Ellis-Bextor.

Comment

That was the 2020 line-up? Who was headlining last year, Martine McCutcheon and Toploader?

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                                          once this is all over, they will be back to moaning how nurses are getting paid 40K a year to take your temperature and administer cough mixture and the lazy doctors on 100K per year.
                                          Yeah, this unfortunately. Too many in this country need to have stark reminders rammed down their throats, otherwise the default is 'how dare they, when I'm...etc'.

Comment

I can't help but wonder how many people voted Tory in December and then went out and clapped for the NHS last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                              I can't help but wonder how many people voted Tory in December and then went out and clapped for the NHS last night.
                                              I would think the majority were. outside.
                                              Last edited by Tactical Genius; 27-03-2020, 13:39.

Comment

I’ve been averaging 4 miles a day on my legally allowed exercise.

(Across public footpaths and canal towpaths. Probably see fewer than 6 people in that time.)

Normally I get in from work and sit on the sofa. So actually getting up and out is helping.

Comment

I'm averaging about 6-7 miles a day in my daily exercise on the seawall. I see even less people than the six people Snake sees!

Comment

I get out around 6-630am for my walks, I have a reclaimed landfill and mine at the back of the house which is very quiet at that time. The 'hill' offers great views actually...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X