X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MsD
    Art thou mocking me, lad?
    Is't th' tekkin' t'piss, like?
    Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 16-03-2020, 01:57.

Comment

Citibike usage here was up more than 50 percent last week

Comment

Originally posted by MsD
        Art thou mocking me, lad?
        Gi’or lass, did I ‘eckers like. Tha knows I'm just kidding wi' thee, yer daft ha’peth.

Comment

The water in Venice's canals is running clear for the first time anyone can remember.

https://video.repubblica.it/dossier/...12-P11-S4.3-T1

Comment

That's amazing.

Comment

Private hospitals in Spain are to come under state control.

Comment

For now, or for good, Sporting?

Comment

As an interim emergency measure.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                    I can quite happily live without social kissing.
                    Social kissing?

What Hell is this?

Some on us are from Yorksher pal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                      As an interim emergency measure.
                      Let's hope it endures.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                        I saw a lot of people out biking today. I think the being cooped up inside might mean that people want to get exercise when they go out, so they are biking and not necessarily driving when they might have otherwise done so.
                        I did my knee in a couple of weeks ago so have been off the bike. I bet as soon as I'm fit again, I won't be allowed to go out.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                          On topic, anyway, I've been pondering for some time if this will turn out a surprisingly good year for wildlife.

Talk of the residents of places like Bergamo being able to glimpse the signs of spring coming from their windows, but unable to get out there amongst it, makes me think of how – if things go on for a while in this frame – the collective impact of all the public grassy areas not being mown, weeds not being sprayed, wild areas left unmolested etc. etc. should at least give a whole load of insects and other invertebrate life a real headstart this spring, and hence so too the birds, amphibians, reptiles and small mammals that feed on them, and so forth.

Multiply that up across the continent, or around the world, and a lot of species could find themselves with some rare and precious breathing space.
                          I remember reading somewhere that if it wasn't for the second world war the North Atlantic would be completely barren of sea life. In the thirties there was absolutely no regulation and the Norwegians and Icelanders were still whaling on an industrial scale. Once war broke out, all that stopped and gave aquatic species 5 years of respite.

Comment

Opportunity to binge watch, without interruption, stuff I've been saving up like Babylon Berlin series 3 and the last series of Man In The High Castle.

Comment

The Korean DMZ is a longstanding example of this.

(a wildlife refuge, not binge watching)

Comment

Because of fears over public transport, our work has banned us from using it. So lifts have been arranged, saving me £5.40 a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                  Opportunity to binge watch, without interruption, stuff I've been saving up like Babylon Berlin series 3 and the last series of Man In The High Castle.
                                  And Radio 4's adaptation of Hilary Mantel's conclusion to the Wolf Hall trilogy, The Mirror and the Light, begins today.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Let's hope it endures.
                                    This is certainly puncturing the myth that we are all but lemmings to the invisible hand of the market. Looks like the state can actually do some things and does possess a magic wand to plan things for people's needs after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

Social kissing?

What Hell is this?

Some on us are from Yorksher pal.
                                      But you do call one another "love"!

Comment

For those of you that are interested, you could just stroll up and get your photograph taken at that Harry Potter thing at King's Cross when I passed through about half an hour ago. There's normally hundreds waiting. I didn't.

Comment

Missed my last two night shifts over the weekend since we had to start self isolating because my daughter was showing symptoms.
                                          If parkrun gets cancelled for the next few weeks /months my boy's PB and first place will be on show for longer than a week.
                                          But the cut in C02 emissions may not be a good thing. See 2005 horizon programme which looked at sharp rise in global average temps when flights over the USA were stopped after the twin towers attack.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                            I remember reading somewhere that if it wasn't for the second world war the North Atlantic would be completely barren of sea life. In the thirties there was absolutely no regulation and the Norwegians and Icelanders were still whaling on an industrial scale. Once war broke out, all that stopped and gave aquatic species 5 years of respite.
                                            That's amazing, but it makes perfect sense. From the point of view of the whales, everything had gone pretty much quiet all of a sudden – I mean, stuff was blowing up on the surface here and there, but it wasn't like people were trying to harpoon them from destroyers. As a cetacean you'd happily put up with the odd U-boat gliding past in exchange for the total disruption of the whaling industry.

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                            The Korean DMZ is a longstanding example of this.
                                            Great point. On a smaller scale, in Britain there's a whole bunch of similarly unprepossessing places on the surface that have become accidental 'reserves' for the same sort of reasons – the area around Dungeness nuclear power station on the Suffolk coast, for instance. Salisbury Plain is the biggest and best military example, where the MoD owns around 150 square miles to which access is obviously greatly restricted, and of which almost a quarter is permanently off-limits to the public. In exchange for the occasional threat of being blown sky-high by test firing, the wildlife gets to enjoy an otherwise unmolested existence right in the heart of southern England.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

I need a ruling from NHH on this
                                              I'm afraid when I lived there, I was a snotty and self-absorbed kid myself, so wouldn't have been able to tell; when I worked,I used to get the train from Rochdale to Victoria, and was too busy rolling a stock of fags in the 20 minutes journey to make sure I could have one fag at each of the three further changes I used to have to make to notice sniffing.

Comment

Isn't Chernobyl a giant nature reserve (in its own way) now as well?

Comment

Despite all the piss-taking I've had to endure, both on here and elsewhere, it's now official: Crazy golf is a sport.

That means I have to shut my course - it's a "place of sport" - but, hey, I can let my customers sneeze each other to death over a cappuccino instead (the al fresco bistro is allowed to remain open).

Comment

Given that you hate golf, isn't this the moment that you have always been waiting for?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X