No announcement yet.

The very minor pluses of Covid19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It just occurred to me that my process is quite similar to the one I used to determine what tie I would wear back when that was something I did.

Comment

Oh, don't get me on to tie collections ;

It's not as if I've ever had to wear a suit & tie for work, either.

Comment

Shall I photo my scarves?

Comment

Hey, we've got all the time in the world, share away.

Comment

Psst...there's a one-legged man in a white sock hiding behind your sex bondage tie collection.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              My process is also similar, though I do like to rotate my collection of esoteric baseball caps (most of which are from minor league or foreign clubs that no longer exist) so as not to be seen as playing favourites.

I also will tend to wear more beat up caps in wind or rain.

Today's selection is this number from the Oakland Oaks of the 1950s

I often wear my retro Padres cap to football matches. It's got the Swinging Friar on the front.

Comment

A random hat appeared in my hat drawer in January. It's well-worn; it fits; it's a nice grey colour, but it sure as hell is not (or was not) mine. Mrs H seems as nonplussed as me about this so I'm ruling out foul play.

Comment

I lost a grey knit hat on a train to Surbiton at the start of the winter, is it that one?

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                    I still have a VHS player that I'd noticed donkeys' years ago had a wayward clock: a while back, out of curiosity I left it to do its thing and after about eighteen months it had gained twenty-three minutes. (By 2022, I probably wouldn't have needed to reset it for BST.)
                    Accuracy is (relatively) expensive, they don't need to be accurate, so they aren't. I think most oven/microwave clocks use the alternating current frequency to keep time, so if that's off, the clock is off.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

My process is similar to TRL's ;

Am I going to a sporting event? If so my choice needs to be either compatible with the sport/teams involved or pleasingly counter-intuitive (I like to think wearing a rugby, speedway or cricket hat to a football game paints me as a renaissance man with a wide and varied compendium of interests and BY NO MEANS A GROUNDHOPPER, OK!).

If it's everyday wear then warmth and what coat it will be matched with are my main considerations.
                      Another excellent reply, and great explanation. Thanks.

Comment

Our microwave's clock races ahead, gets to about 20 mins in advance in a couple of months. The oven's clock keeps decent time.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                          My process is also similar, though I do like to rotate my collection of esoteric baseball caps (most of which are from minor league or foreign clubs that no longer exist) so as not to be seen as playing favourites.

I also will tend to wear more beat up caps in wind or rain.
                          This, also, is a perfectly decent answer, though not quite as strong as the previous two.

Comment

We stand on the shoulders of giants, TonTon

Comment

On hats, I've started wearing my dad's flat cap to football matches when it's flat cap weather. Particularly to games I think he would have liked to go to e.g. Shrewsbury v Liverpool.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                Accuracy is (relatively) expensive, they don't need to be accurate, so they aren't.
                                Microwaves don't, that's true, but one of the optimum functions of a VHS machine was the fact that one could record via the timer, so the clock there needed to be 'fairly' accurate. (But from what I can recall, it was up to muggins here to set and re-set the clock, set the channels, the timer and even record from live TV. VHS management was deemed by both of my parents to be beyond their technical abilities.)

Comment

I detest wearing hats. I've got a handful of them which have probably each been worn, on average, once about ever five years. But I'm starting to get a bit thin on top and have skin cancer concerns so I really do need to start wearing them on particularly sunny days.

Comment

I'm not a fan of hat-wearing. For myself, I mean - I am neutral on it for most others, though I think it's a bit...well, you know? Anyway, I have a gimungous head, and I'm usually too hot, so. But yeah, in proper sun, you kinda have to, really. Even if you aren't going bald, as I'm not.

Comment

I wear floppy bucket hats to the beach because it's the smart thing to do, and I wear baseball hats every now and then when I can't be arsed about 'doing' my hair.

Comment

Yer man for hats is HP, but he's on other threads at the mo'.

Comment

I do hats.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                            I wear floppy bucket hats to the beach because it's the smart thing to do, and I wear baseball hats every now and then when I can't be arsed about 'doing' my hair.
                                            So you just have one of each?

Comment

We had our first weekly meeting for around fifteen of the staff today via Zoom video (though I was the only partner, and one of only two of the over-50 year olds, who knew how to get video working) and two of the younger male participants were wearing hats indoors.

I've banned the practice forthwith.

Comment

Does this apply to domed stadia or venues like the La Defense Arena?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                  We had our first weekly meeting for around fifteen of the staff today via Zoom video (though I was the only partner, and one of only two of the over-50 year olds, who knew how to get video working) and two of the younger male participants were wearing hats indoors.

I've banned the practice forthwith.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

So you just have one of each?
                                                    No, I probably have 3 bucket hats and 6 or 8 decent baseball caps. My favorite is a red baseball cap with a heavily embroidered FLORIDA across the front, but it's so worn it's basically pink now. Second is my blue OBX (Outer Banks) one.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X