The very minor pluses of Covid19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
    A minor plus appears to be that you hat people now have time to do proper vacuuming and cleaning, you could eat off those carpets.
    Pretty much that, I have even tidied and sorted my outdoors kit room...that was a task I promised to do for the last 3 years. Today I have tested it as my home office, it will work when it's warmer out there.

Comment

I have killed millions of ants and reclaimed my loft space for humanity.

Comment

That was pretty quick Lurgee. It took me a full four or five months to defeat the Carpenter ants in the maple tree in my yard.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurgee View Post
          I have killed millions of ants and reclaimed my loft space for humanity.

Whooooooooooooa! Don't get on the wrong side of the ants! With humankind under threat, weak and fearful, this is just the time at which the insects might decide to chance their many, spindly arms to overturn the global order! And if they do they'll be looking to settle scores.

Comment

I changed the time on my microwave within a day of the clocks going forward. It is normally at least three months before I get round to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE! View Post
              I changed the time on my microwave within a day of the clocks going forward. It is normally at least three months before I get round to it.
              Ditto with my watch.

Comment

How do you million-hatted people.choose which one to wear on any particular occasion?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  I'm a bit surprised that the Dodgers didn't do a ski hat for late October/early November
                  For Christmas, I got a fuzzy Rays hat. Not just a beanie, but the kid with ear flaps etc. Very warm. Surprised the Rays sold such a hat.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                    That was pretty quick Lurgee. It took me a full four or five months to defeat the Carpenter ants in the maple tree in my yard.
                    I don't for a moment imagine they have been eradicated. Like the Taliban, following the unleashing of all my military might, they have at best retreated to the hills, waiting for my guard to drop before they re-emerge and scuttle about amidst the Christmas decorations and Thomas the Tank Engine play set.

But I am smart enough to know a good general makes a quick show of force, declares victory and retires in glory, leaving the real sorting out to whoever inherits the incipient mess.
                    Last edited by Lurgee; 31-03-2020, 01:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Whooooooooooooa! Don't get on the wrong side of the ants! With humankind under threat, weak and fearful, this is just the time at which the insects might decide to chance their many, spindly arms to overturn the global order! And if they do they'll be looking to settle scores.
                      I do not fear their chitinous wrath. If they try anything, I will emerge as humanity's final hero, a sort of combination of John Connor and Duke Nukem.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE! View Post
                        Why would a microwave need a clock rather than a simple timer?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

It is the modern way. We live in a degenerate age and it can not be assumed a gentleman has a pocket watch about him (not even - shudder - a wristwatch) or a valet equipped with a timepiece; so it is important to have time-telling devices scattered about the place - in the manner of ornamental sundials in aristocratic gardens - so a fellow can know what time it is. Otherwise, a chap might be embarrassingly late for a duel, a romantic assignation or dinner at the Drones.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                            How do you million-hatted people.choose which one to wear on any particular occasion?
                            Combination of weather conditions and what/who I'm going to watch. If it's motorsport, it tends to be purely practical so if it's pissing down or freezing then I wear a thicker one or a fleece lined one.

If it's football, then (a) do I have a hat for who I'm going to watch, (b) do the colours clash i.e. I wouldn't wear my Crvena Zvezda one to go and watch Bootle (who play in blue).

If I'm just going out for a walk then anything goes (Nb - I have other, non-sports related hats that come into play then too).

Comment

Our microwave gets switched off at the wall immediately after it dings so the clock is never set.
                              impressive hat collections, tho Ray’s are mainly (rugger) rubbish
                              I have loads of hats tho it’d take a while to find them all and photos. British rail guard’s hat, fez, Marseillaise (as worn by Gabin in the 30s)...
                              and in answer to the query of why you’d need so many, we used to dish them out at the table like party hats. So there- never mind paper hats out of a cracker.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post

Combination of weather conditions and what/who I'm going to watch. If it's motorsport, it tends to be purely practical so if it's pissing down or freezing then I wear a thicker one or a fleece lined one.

If it's football, then (a) do I have a hat for who I'm going to watch, (b) do the colours clash i.e. I wouldn't wear my Crvena Zvezda one to go and watch Bootle (who play in blue).

If I'm just going out for a walk then anything goes (Nb - I have other, non-sports related hats that come into play then too).
                                A Crvena Zvezda hat, now we’re talking (Darko Pancev, Prosinecki when he was only a bit overweight, smoking flares for goalposts...)

Comment

Thank you for your comprehensive explanation.

WOM take note

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                    Don't most of these things have clocks? I like my gadgets to display the time when not in use (or even 'in' use, where possible), for the reasons that Lurgee outlines above. (Happy to be a degenerate in that respect.)

The clock on my microwave gains time rather too rapidly, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                      I've noticed that about ours. What's that about, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                        Or loses time too rapidly, depending on how you look at it.

Comment

Good point.

There's something about this type of electronic clockage, though - the programming of it never seems accurate.

I still have a VHS player that I'd noticed donkeys' years ago had a wayward clock: a while back, out of curiosity I left it to do its thing and after about eighteen months it had gained twenty-three minutes. (By 2022, I probably wouldn't have needed to reset it for BST.)

As you say, what's with that?

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post

impressive hat collections, tho Ray’s are mainly (rugger) rubbish
                                            Point of order, only 11 of the 28 are rugby.

Football, speedway, cricket, golf, cycling, baseball and gridiron are all also represented.

Rugby just seems to be the sport most taken with bobble hats, which are what I favour.

Given I was nice about TRL's rugby league hat I find your sectarian headwear attack especially upsetting.
                                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 31-03-2020, 12:32.

Comment

Today's silver lining are the #llandudnogoats

https://twitter.com/AndrewStuart/status/1243329253288169473

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                                My process is similar to TRL's ;

Am I going to a sporting event? If so my choice needs to be either compatible with the sport/teams involved or pleasingly counter-intuitive (I like to think wearing a rugby, speedway or cricket hat to a football game paints me as a renaissance man with a wide and varied compendium of interests and BY NO MEANS A GROUNDHOPPER, OK!).

If it's everyday wear then warmth and what coat it will be matched with are my main considerations.

Comment

it's pissing down or freezing then I wear a thicker one or a fleece lined one.
                                                  I don't like the fleece-lined ones. So many of the American sports bobble/beanie hats have the lining and it normally puts me off getting them. This is both because it's rarely, if ever, cold enough in the UK to really need it and because it makes them feel too constrictive on my massive heed.

If it really does get cold I tend to go with one of my two biggest/thickest hats from these people. Either this one or the rainbow jersey coloured one that, annoyingly, I had done before they started doing official UCI ones ;

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 31-03-2020, 12:46.

Comment

My process is also similar, though I do like to rotate my collection of esoteric baseball caps (most of which are from minor league or foreign clubs that no longer exist) so as not to be seen as playing favourites.

I also will tend to wear more beat up caps in wind or rain.

Today's selection is this number from the Oakland Oaks of the 1950s

Comment

Working...
                                                    X