Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
    Thanks, VA. I'll give that a go.
    Best of luck, I hope it does you some good!

Comment

Various Artist well done sharing those, thanks. My back’s been bad and I forgot, my physio actually taught me those peri-whatsit stretches and I’ve not been doing them.

Patrick Thistle all the strength bud.

@everyone - what FF said, big hugs all around. I’m not as laid back about all this as I thought I would be a matter of days ago.

Comment

Yes, I think it's time to admit personal defeat about the overwhelming information blitz, in order to preserve some semblance of sanity. At the end of the day, all we can do here is try to protect our own family members, so as callous as it sounds, it does no good worrying about Spain or Italy (bar for OTF posters living there, of course).

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
          I've struggled today. Felt a lot of adrenaline terror. I can't post much because we've been warned not to share work stuff on social media but basically a lot of things happened that scared me. I took the decision to close my office and send the one team member who was in home. I phoned my other team member and said not to come in. I don't know when I will physically see them again. I tidied the office and packed up anything I think I could feasibly need in the next few months. I felt like a looter but I'll take it all back at some point. (I say)

My wife has a medical condition and everyone with it has been told to self isolate. We are going to co-isolate and maximise social distancing. I phoned my brother. I don't think we can go and see my mum on Mothers day this weekend or help with her house move in 3 weekends time. So that means the weekend before last is the last time I will have stayed in the house that's been the family home for 36 years. The house I grew up in from 8-18 and was always where we went for Christmas and other holidays. And I won't get to say goodbye.

And the Euros are postponed. I was going to go to Hampden with my mum, brother and brother in law. That's not going to happen this year and, honestly, is my mum going to want to go next year. Will she be well.enough to go? She has chronic heart failure, for fuck's sake.

On Thursday it will be a year since my dad died. Yesterday it was a year since the last time I saw him alive. I really wanted to see my mum this weekend. And I can't because I need to self isolate and I might have the virus and I don't want to infect her.

I feel angry about this whole situation. And scared. And tearful over lost plans.
          Look after yourself, PT - hopefully you'll all pull through this.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
            Yes, I think it's time to admit personal defeat about the overwhelming information blitz, in order to preserve some semblance of sanity. At the end of the day, all we can do here is try to protect our own family members, so as callous as it sounds, it does no good worrying about Spain or Italy (bar for OTF posters living there, of course).
            Is there anyone else in these countries apart from me?

Comment

Have a peek out the window.

Comment

ha ha

Comment

It is pretty quiet though

Comment

I’m not well. Following the news is part of my job. And some of the people I work with are making this stressful.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                      I’m not well. Following the news is part of my job. And some of the people I work with are making this stressful.
                      Thinking of you HP. I realised when I got three emails overnight with things which must be done on Monday, and work-related WhatsApps at 8:40 this morning that it’s work that’s stressing me the most at present. It shouldn’t be where the focus is, but by the same token livelihood and caring for oneself and family is crucial.

Comment

VA - thanks again for the stretches.
                        My back situation has improved dramatically since I started doing them (though clearly I can't claim for certain that the stretches are the sole or main reason, in case anyone else goes in expecting miracle results, but I doubt that my stress level is decreasing).

Comment

Oh, that's brilliant mate, I'm really pleased if I've been of any help.

It took me forever to type all that step-by-step stuff out – I kept having to get up, find a clear enough patch of floor and get down on the carpet to re-enact the positions to remind myself and make sure I was describing each stage accurately, then rephrase or clarify things accordingly – so I'm delighted it seems to have been worthwhile. Rereading it now, I think it's all reasonably clear but I've actually just added a few words to my description of the closing stretch just in case.

I could certainly sympathise with where you were coming from. Last summer my lower back was in an appalling state, due mostly to my eyes being squiffy – I've had two cataract operations (in 2000 and 2012) and the replacement lenses in my eyes have completely different prescriptions, with one focused at around arm's length and the other much longer-range.

My brain bodges along remarkably well in terms of assimilating the images into a clear enough picture, but it's close-up where things get tricky since my eyes can't adjust to focus. My reading glasses are varifocal, with the bottom part for books etc. and the upper part supposedly for computer distance – but in practice it's extremely tricky to get the right distance from the monitor as there's such a shallow 'sweet spot' where I can focus clearly, and if I lean in or out by an inch or two I lose that. So if I'm not careful I end up 'locked' in a very specific position – without being conscious of it – where I'm in this sweet spot but to the detriment of my posture.

Come May or June last year, I suddenly realised my neck was getting very stiff and painful as a result of this, and then there was a rapid domino effect whereby my back went too – all this poor posture abruptly made itself felt down through the central part of my spine and particularly at the lower back and around the pelvis. I saw a physio at a walk-in clinic at the local hospital, but they just gave me stretching exercises and apart from the ones for my neck I couldn't really do any as I was too acute pain – it's impossible to try to bend down to touch your toes when you're getting shooting pains around the base of the spine before you can reach your knees.

The final straw came in a long-distance car journey across the country in early July, when I was in agony all the way but my lower back was so weak and damaged I couldn't physically move myself with the muscles there to alleviate it; I had to keep trying to adjust my position by pressing down with my hands on the seat to try to lift myself by an inch or so that way to shift my position. When I got there I could only get out of the car by grabbing the handle over the window and pulling myself up using that. I'm 40 but I felt like 100 years old, it was awful.

Not long afterwards I finally bit the bullet and booked a chiropractor appointment, and that did wonders for me as I hadn't realised just how out of whack my shoulders and hips had got, quite apart from the more pressing issues. Going to the gym referral took some working up of courage, but I'm glad I did as learning that very simple set of stretches was a great and easy way into doing something proactive for my back. It's not perfect now but it's a thousand times better than before.

Best of luck with your back and hope it continues to improve!
                          Last edited by Various Artist; 22-03-2020, 23:49.

Comment

-
                            Last edited by Furtho; 26-03-2020, 20:14. Reason: Wrong thread

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                              Oh, that's brilliant mate, I'm really pleased if I've been of any help.

It took me forever to type all that step-by-step stuff out – I kept having to get up, find a clear enough patch of floor and get down on the carpet to re-enact the positions to remind myself and make sure I was describing each stage accurately, then rephrase or clarify things accordingly – so I'm delighted it seems to have been worthwhile. Rereading it now, I think it's all reasonably clear but I've actually just added a few words to my description of the closing stretch just in case.

I could certainly sympathise with where you were coming from. Last summer my lower back was in an appalling state, due mostly to my eyes being squiffy – I've had two cataract operations (in 2000 and 2012) and the replacement lenses in my eyes have completely different prescriptions, with one focused at around arm's length and the other much longer-range.

My brain bodges along remarkably well in terms of assimilating the images into a clear enough picture, but it's close-up where things get tricky since my eyes can't adjust to focus. My reading glasses are varifocal, with the bottom part for books etc. and the upper part supposedly for computer distance – but in practice it's extremely tricky to get the right distance from the monitor as there's such a shallow 'sweet spot' where I can focus clearly, and if I lean in or out by an inch or two I lose that. So if I'm not careful I end up 'locked' in a very specific position – without being conscious of it – where I'm in this sweet spot but to the detriment of my posture.

Come May or June last year, I suddenly realised my neck was getting very stiff and painful as a result of this, and then there was a rapid domino effect whereby my back went too – all this poor posture abruptly made itself felt down through the central part of my spine and particularly at the lower back and around the pelvis. I saw a physio at a walk-in clinic at the local hospital, but they just gave me stretching exercises and apart from the ones for my neck I couldn't really do any as I was too acute pain – it's impossible to try to bend down to touch your toes when you're getting shooting pains around the base of the spine before you can reach your knees.

The final straw came in a long-distance car journey across the country in early July, when I was in agony all the way but my lower back was so weak and damaged I couldn't physically move myself with the muscles there to alleviate it; I had to keep trying to adjust my position by pressing down with my hands on the seat to try to lift myself by an inch or so that way to shift my position. When I got there I could only get out of the car by grabbing the handle over the window and pulling myself up using that. I'm 40 but I felt like 100 years old, it was awful.

Not long afterwards I finally bit the bullet and booked a chiropractor appointment, and that did wonders for me as I hadn't realised just how out of whack my shoulders and hips had got, quite apart from the more pressing issues. Going to the gym referral took some working up of courage, but I'm glad I did as learning that very simple set of stretches was a great and easy way into doing something proactive for my back. It's not perfect now but it's a thousand times better than before.

Best of luck with your back and hope it continues to improve!
                              That’s quite an experience VA. I may have mentioned upthread, I was shown “your” stretch by a physio years ago, but had stopped it and your post reminded me. Again it’s been of great help since my lower back has been playing up especially lately, probably due to working in a different chair etc. at home. So thanks a lot for that.

That same physio has done himself out of a lot of cash over the years since he showed me some neck/shoulder stretches which I do every morning without fail. They serve the dual purpose of stopping me getting many stiff necks or tight shoulders, and also giving a go-to stretch if and when I get a twinge in one of those areas. When I have a bit of time* I may try and articulate them!

*I know that sounds a bit daft in these circumstances but I reckon I work harder at home due to not getting interrupted all the time.

Comment

That's a good exercise VA, isn't it more for the glutes and hamstrings than lower back?
                                Unfortunately , i cannot do those as my muscles are so tight, it would cause me sever knee ligament pain. For those who do (when crossing the left knee) have one hand on the back of the left knee to support the joint. I fully understand it makes it more difficult to pull back the right leg as you are doing it with one hand instead of both.

Comment

I'm probably reading something wrong into what you write about your tight muscies, TG, but does there come a point where muscles can be developed almost too well if a side-effect is a loss of mobility/flexibility? I'm thinking of those guys I used to see coming from long gym sessions who walked in a decidedly stiff way.

Comment

I think Spandau Ballet sang about it once.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                      I'm probably reading something wrong into what you write about your tight muscies, TG, but does there come a point where muscles can be developed almost too well if a side-effect is a loss of mobility/flexibility? I'm thinking of those guys I used to see coming from long gym sessions who walked in a decidedly stiff way.
                                      I know what you mean sporting, I have always been inflexible, even as a skinny kid.
                                      i used to find assembly very difficult in primary school as sitting cross legged was very uncomfortable.

When I played football, I would have a teammate do a similar version of the stretch you outline. If you have ever had physio, you would know the one i am on about.

That walk you see people doing in the gym is mainly affected. You have to either be really fat or have massive thighs to walk like that naturally.
                                      Last edited by Tactical Genius; 27-03-2020, 09:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

I know what you mean sporting, I have always been inflexible, even as a skinny kid.
                                        i used to find assembly very difficult in primary school as sitting cross legged was very uncomfortable.

When I played football, I would have a teammate do a similar version of the stretch you outline. If you have ever had physio, you would know the one i am on about.

That walk you see people doing in the gym is mainly affected. You have to either be really fat or have massive thighs to walk like that naturally.

I was on my home from work many years ago when I was living in Mitcham. Just after I got out at Colliers Wood Tube station I saw a guy walking along the pavement with the gait of Douglas Bader. Poor sod, I thought, he must have knackered himself in a accident. But I sort of recognised his face, saw that he was heading into the nearby gym and realised that I'd seen him on TV a few months previously when he won the World's Strongest Man competition.* His upper legs were so over-developed he had to adopt a sort of stiff-legged waddle to propel himself forward.

* Can't remember his name but he was a fitness instructor at HMP Wandsworth, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

I was on my home from work many years ago when I was living in Mitcham. Just after I got out at Colliers Wood Tube station I saw a guy walking along the pavement with the gait of Douglas Bader. Poor sod, I thought, he must have knackered himself in a accident. But I sort of recognised his face, saw that he was heading into the nearby gym and realised that I'd seen him on TV a few months previously when he won the World's Strongest Man competition.* His upper legs were so over-developed he had to adopt a sort of stiff-legged waddle to propel himself forward.

* Can't remember his name but he was a fitness instructor at HMP Wandsworth, I think.
                                          Hahahah, I see that all the time in the gym when the steroid boys walk in. Even funnier is when the amateurs strap up their knees and put on the big belt around their legs.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

According to a close friend of La Signora, her sister's beau is so hyper-developed in his upper body that he has serious trouble reaching his own bum to wipe it.

Comment

Does he use an extension, like in snooker?

Comment

Good question. I'll try and find out.

Comment

That's a deeply beguiling mental image, Satch.

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                                                  That's a good exercise VA, isn't it more for the glutes and hamstrings than lower back?
                                                  As I say TG, the piriformis starts at the back of the leg somewhere but goes up via the pelvis to the lower back. So it's in the same region, yes, but it's the top end that's significant here. Where I felt stretching it really made a difference was around that area of the sacral-iliac junction where I was getting major pain, i.e. just above the pelvis at the base of the back.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X