So, Sorrento then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Sorrento then

Hmmmmm were actually booking up tomorrow. Gotta fix it so that I cram as many matchs in as possible.

Comment

So, Sorrento then

Oh, and a question for Ursus, as he might be the sort of bloke who'd know these things (and indeed, most things): On the Circumvesuviana rail journey between Naples and Sorrento one is offered a tantalising glimpse of two lower-division-looking football grounds on your right as you're heading out of Naples. I was gagging to know whose they were. Any ideas?

Comment

So, Sorrento then

One's Funiculi, the other's Funicula.

Comment

So, Sorrento then

E10 Rifle wrote:
          Limoncella's fucking horrible.
          You had me 100% until this. Limocella is genius.

Comment

So, Sorrento then

E10, I'm sorry I didn't see your question before today, because I would have looked out for the grounds (though we sat on the wrong side of the train), but my guess is that they were probably Turris from Torre del Greco (Serie D) and Savoiafrom Torre Annunziata (also Serie D).

Closer to Sorrento is Castellmare de Stabia, where Juve Stabia (in C1/Lega Pro 1) play, and then there is of course the very scenic stadium of Sorrento Calcio itself (same level)

The ground is about 50 metres from the cliff overlooking the sea, and one almost doesn't notice its artificial turf.

Comment

So, Sorrento then

Some other tips for the general area that may be of use:

If you are doing any serious "cultural" sightseeing, get a Campania Arte Card, which gives you free admission to things like Pompei, Herculaneum and the Archeological Museum in Napoli, as well as unlimited travel throughout the region (including on the Circumvesuviana and all local transit in Napoli). There are multiple versions with different regional coverage, so choose carefully.

In Sorrento itself, we highly recommend taking the little tourist train that leaves from Piazza Tasso (the main square). You get a very nice tour of the town (including the football ground and some of the more spectacular view points), as well as a soundtrack of Neapolitan "classics" that had the ladies of a certain age in our carriage singing along at full tilt. We would also recommend the "Metro del Mare" ferry rather than the hydrofoil if one has time, as it costs half as much and gives one a much better view than the overcrowded (and totally enclosed) hydrofoils.

On Capri, we very highly recommend the "Giro Giallo/Yellow Route" tour around the island with a small motorboat that leaves from the wharf where the ferries and hydrofoils arrive. 2 1/2 hours (including the chance to do the whole Grotta Azzurra thing if you want to), brilliant views, wild goats, Roman ruins, passing through a natural arch, the White and Green grottoes (even allowing for a swim if you get the guy we had) and all round terrific afternoon out for 13 euro a head.

We also found an excellent restaurant in the tourist trap that is Marina Grande called L'Approdo (about 250 metres to the left of the landing, a bit pricy, but decent value). And have a lemon gelato at the "Bionatural" place in the piazetta to the left of the furnicular.

Two Napoli restaurants that are terrific and not particularly expensive are "Al 53" at 53 Piazza Dante (near the university) and Hosteria Toledo, just off Via Toledo in the Quartiere Spagnoli (but not so deeply in that you need to be concerned for your safety). They were both so good that ursus minor is still having difficulty readjusting to Milanese cuisine (which ain't bad).

I've had to promise my family that we will be going back soon, and I'll update the thread when we do.

Comment

So, Sorrento then

But Ursus, where do you stand on the key issue of limoncello? Pro or con?

Comment

So, Sorrento then

I thought I had answered that on this thread, but it must have been in a PM.

Well made limoncello can be unbelieveably wonderful, especially when quaffed on a sun drenched terrace overlooking the sea. Unfortunately, a lot of the stuff sold on Capri is industrial sludge, and I'm afraid that is what E10 must have encountered.

Comment

So, Sorrento then

I think me and the family are off to Sorrento in late July. Anything to add to the above? Will there be any live sport to see at that time of year?

Comment

So, Sorrento then

Do you have flights and accommodation booked?

We went last year. Easyjet now fly from Luton to Naples, very easy. Stayed in a decent B&B in Maiori, a much cheaper (although less pretty) town round the coast from Amalfi. Enjoyed it a lot.

Comment

So, Sorrento then

Ray de Galles wrote: I think me and the family are off to Sorrento in late July. Anything to add to the above? Will there be any live sport to see at that time of year?
                        Last season's Serie A kicked off 22 August, so you might struggle to get a match in, which is a pity because a match at the San Paolo is not to be missed. Sorrento Calcio have a nice little ground in the town centre, check their website (and posters around town) nearer the time.

Naples is a bit rough and ready but no more intimidating than Liverpool, Limerick or Glasgow imo.

And go up Vesuvius, great views and you can look down into the steaming crater!

Comment

So, Sorrento then

Yeah, I doubt there's any chance of football at all. I wondered if there was any summer sport I could catch, given I can't imagine they're big on speedway or cricket down that way.

Think we have flights and hotels sorted, Crusoe, but thanks for the advice.

Comment

So, Sorrento then

Despite staying for almost a month in Sorrento my main memory of the place is of a man standing on the railway platform wearing only a pair of flip flops and the skimpiest pair of speedos imaginable. He spent the whole time waiting for the train trying to shoo away a small bird that was determined to perch on the bulge he was displaying.

We went so I could work on my dissertation so spent most of the time in Herculaneum on my hands and knees measuring drains and being trodden on by coach parties.

Comment

So, Sorrento then

Walking on the Amalfi cost is amazing - the Sentiero Degli Dei is probably the best known and is an absolutely stunning, mainly clifftop walk. You get to the start with a bus to Amalfi and then another more local bus, and can get the bus home from Positano.

Definitely don't miss out Herculaneum - a lot small than Pompeii but mostly better preserved.

Naples is great. Sure, it's a bit gritty and dirty but I never felt unsafe at all. I was there for five days when GB lost in the Davis Cup in 2014. People are actually really friendly, only thing that happened was a guy in the market tried to sell us a presumably stolen iPad which could happen in any city. The pizza is not only great (obviously) but also unbelievably cheap for a major West European city. The most annoying thing is all the scooters zipping around the narrow lanes.

Comment

So, Sorrento then

if you're going to pompeii/herculaneum, sod the organized trips and get the train there yourselves. possibly obvious advice, but you'll save a bundle.

this is a nice spot to have dinner/drinks of an early evening. can't speak to the accommodation there.

the archaeological museum in naples gave me intense, jerusalem syndrome-esque art feelings, something that rarely happens to me.

Comment

So, Sorrento then

Just bumping this for any other tips before I go at the weekend. Basing our selves in Sorrento but doig trips out to Pompeii, Herculaneum and Vesuvius.

Comment

So, Sorrento then

Do the Italians do speedway?

Comment

So, Sorrento then

Do your best to avoid Pompeii at midday, as it has very little shade and can get intensely hot. This is less of an issue with Herculaneum.

The Circumvesuviana train allows for an interesting combination of working class Campanian locals and tourists of all sorts.

Comment

So, Sorrento then

Gangster Octopus wrote: Do the Italians do speedway?
                                        Of course.

Comment

Working...
                                        X