Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So. Eddie Izzard then.

Is going to stand as a Labour Candidate at presumably the next election

As someone who isn't a member of the Labour Party, and am aware there are people on this forum who are, how does he get to decide he's your candidate?

(Asking for a democrat)

Oh

Unless of course, he's expressed a wish to be a Labour MP which first means he knows just as well as the rest of us he's got to be selected first, rather than the filth from the fourth estate who've announced he's already declared himself to be a candidate.
    ​​​​

Comment

Hes stood for the NEC for the last couple of elections.

Comment

He said years ago he wanted to stand as the Labour mayoral candidate for London too.

Comment

All of which is laudable.

Don't make him a candidate unless selected, does it?

This is a horrible ad hominem attack against the man, it's painting him as a privileged out of touch luvvie.

Fuck the Express, fuck the Mail, fuck the Sun, and fuck the Telegraph for reporting it in these terms.
          Last edited by Guy Profumo; 03-03-2020, 21:00.

Comment

Eddie Izzard's performance style is a strong influence upon that of the Prime Minister so now might be the right time.

Comment

He said repeatedly during his last tour that it was his final one as he wanted to stand as a Labour candidate at the next election. Unless it was called to soon, as actually happened. But it was clear the message was wanted to, not assumed he would.

Politically he is not quite in the current Labour mainstream. More centrist than that. Which may very well hamper his chances of being picked.

Comment

Of course, if there was open selection, he could go along to his CLP, work hard, gain trust, and stand to be a candidate.

Comment

I thought that he was avowedly Liberal. Where did I get that impression from?

Comment

He's also in Wizzard (his surname, that is)

Comment

Wasn't he avowedly centrist/anti Corbyn?

Comment

Totes

Comment

He could get a candidacy somewhere - he just needs to apply to the candidacy panel, get on that (he probably would, based on his activist history), and find a constituency that would bung him on their own shortlist for a parliamentary selection.

I wouldn't vote for him though - aside from his centrism, he doesn't come across that impressively, politically. I preferred Definite Article.

Comment

well it would make life awkward for the terfs

Comment

True, and that's something

Comment

He may as well. He hasn't been funny in this century so why not give politics a go. He's brighter than most of the shower who are in there now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                  I thought that he was avowedly Liberal. Where did I get that impression from?
                                  His stand up, where he does a joke about storming Parliament but paying for the damage.

Comment

Working...
                                  X