No announcement yet.

Are you Hard? Or are you a softie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's like the Tyne Tees weather map that keeps pretending Sunderland doesn't exist.

Comment

Rte Irish weather rarely puts a sun/cloud/rain graphic directly over Dublin when they do their bit after the evening news. Cos of course no fucker needs to see what the weather will be like in the bit of the country that has almost half the fuckin population eh. Let's see how fucking south Wicklow is affected but.

Comment

Fuckin culchies, Pt 223.

Comment

I've drunk water in large quantities since I was a kid. A pint glass with dinner, and suchlike. These days I tend to have some on the go all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
            Fuck knows why Wick is on that map but. Poor forgotten Proper City Dundee.
            Same in England though. Dover, which is basically just a ferry port and some cliffs, makes it on, whereas real population centres like Leeds, Sheffield and Bristol are ignored

Comment

Anyway, since we've partially moved on from tap water to mineral water, I would like to pass on the excellent fact that the county I live in - Harghita, which is one of 42 counties in Romania - is home to 25% of all the mineral water springs in the whole of Europe. In most villages round here there is at lest one spring at which people fill up bottles. After a while you start to work out which spring you like the most - and which the least. There are one or two which I really don't like, and one about 15km from here which is my favourite. It's nearly all naturally fizzy too.

Comment

Having lived in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Kenya and Tanzania, where water quality is extremely variable, drinking any water out of the tap without worrying about going down with something is fucking brilliant. My friend Sam used to say all the time that the warnings about drinking tap water in Nairobi were just scaremongering, until he went down with something nasty and was off work for a month.

Comment

I find fizzy water does have a taste, though. Like alka-seltzer, essentially. No thanks.

Comment

Yep.

Comment

Different fizzy waters have different tastes though. And not just subtle differences, often pretty pronounced ones

Comment

I've not noticed a difference. Not that I've travelled the world tasting fizzy water. But I reckon I've accidentally had mouthsful of a few different ones.

Comment

Weirdly (or maybe not so weirdly) despite having had no thoughts of searches of water softeners, I got a an ad for water softeners in Facebook yesterday. I'd say it was an amazing coincidence, except don't believe in such things when it comes to ad targeting.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                            I find fizzy water does have a taste, though. Like alka-seltzer, essentially. No thanks.
                            Soda water tastes like Alka-Seltzer.

Sparkling spring water doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

Sparkling spring water doesn't.
                              No, it doesn't... unless it's Perrier. Those ad campaigns really did the trick for them; it's foul stuff.

Comment

Quite. You can improve on Perrier while spending about a tenth of the price.

Comment

Is San Pellegrino soda water? Because that definitely tastes like alka-seltzer.

Comment

It's a sparkling mineral water rather than a seltzer.

If you're not keen on that, then they do a range of enticing flavours.

Comment

THEY DO TASTE LIKE ALKA-SELTZER TO ME

Comment

I grew up in Leeds (soft) but that was a very long time ago. Entire adult life in London and Cambridge, both hard, so I have thoroughly got used to hard water, and soft water now seems annoyingly odd.

I can't recall feeling strongly about the taste, but the one thing I absolutely cannot stand about soft water is that it feels impossible to completely rinse soap off your skin with it, so I always feel that there's a thin film of detergent clinging to me at the end of a soft water wash. That's why, when we moved into our house we immediately ceased to use the expensive water-softening kit which the previous owners had built into our system. I realise that that will probably mean our central heating system is being slowly destroyed by furring up with chalk inside the pipes etc., but that's a price that Mrs Gauss and I are willing to accept in order to avoid having to wash in soft water.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                          Hmmm, never thought about a link between hard water and voting for Brexit before....

Comment

Look at the respective maps of Wales for those two things and you'd certainly struggle to prove it.

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post

Hmmm, never thought about a link between hard water and voting for Brexit before....
                                              only yesterday, i was thinking about expounding a "geology theory" of politics to counter the equally dubious generational analyses going round.

minerals in tap water clearly rot the brain no it's not just correlation implying causation.

Comment

Another map that shadows the 'true' north south line of the severn to the wash.

Comment

NHH, as much as I chuckle at your little 'kisses' on each post currently so would hate to see them disappear, are you quite sure you haven't accidentally got some sort of one-letter 'signature' enabled in your settings?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X