The useless cables amnesty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The useless cables amnesty

I think we all have one of these (at least the male OTFers).

Of course, if I throw any single cable away, I will find I need one three weeks later.

Funny you mention this
    ​​​​​​
    I am in the process of consolidating at least three separate boxes of cables and chargers at the moment. Multiple moves among places with different systems complicates a process that is inherently fraught.

Also, transformers weigh a ton.

Comment

There must be a local copper cabling thief I can sell them to.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
        Just one? I think I had four last time I checked.

Comment

What do you assume female OTFers use to connect and power their electronic equipment?

Comment

Ah. Yes. An almost identical wicker basket thing full of cables and chargers on the shelving unit next to my desk, alongside another box containg 3.5" disks. Even though I no longer own a disk drive...

Comment

Oh, yeah. If SCSI cords and connectors make a comeback I'm gonna be made in the shade.

Comment

Two and a bit. One of power connectors and adapters. One of video, USB and ethernet cables. Half of one of other random crap.

Comment

I threw away a load last week and freed up half a desk drawer for other crap

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                    What do you assume female OTFers use to connect and power their electronic equipment?
                    Oh, it's not about the connecting and powering. It's about the warehousing of dozens of castoffs that used to do those jobs, but which are far too critical to part with.

But it was a horribly sexist generalization, and I frowned deeply when I saw it. Deeply.

Comment

Well exactly. Where else am I supposed to keep all my scart leads and VGA cables.

Comment

Scart leads?! Pah! We had co-axial RF leads when I was a boy and I don’t recall anyone complaining...

Comment

Just had a rough count and we have around 400 cassettes. And obviously nothing to play them on.

Comment

Of course, if I throw any single cable away, I will find I need one three weeks later.
                            I cleared a load out a year or so ago and haven't yet needed any of them. I know that is tempting fate to a ridiculous degree though.

Earlier this evening daughter decided to tidy out the "big cupboard" in the kitchen and I found myself being held to account for why we still have half a bag of chipotle and garlic salad crunch toppers. So if she discovered a wicker basket of redundant cables I'd be in real trouble.

Comment

The Useless Cables.

Christ, I saw them support The Teardrop Explodes back at The Limit in 1984.

They were fucking shite.

Comment

Just had a rough count and we have around 400 cassettes. And obviously nothing to play them on.
                                Can’t you just stick a Bic biro in the spindles and hold them close to your ear?

Comment

We also have loads of cassettes, but we have at least 3 cassette players in the house (possibly more in the loft, fuck knows what's in there.) They still never get played though.

Comment

The last couple of months I've been trying to get rid of an almost new cassette dubbing deck, receiver, five speaker system and turntable, but no-takers. Maybe I'll bequeath them to the kid along with all my vinyl and he can deal with it all.

Comment

I'll happily take a LaserDisc player if anyone's got one spare... hey, if you don't ask, you don't get.

As well as my four (minimum) tubs of cables, I also have one full of spare game controllers. If anyone needs seven Mega Drive joypads in varying condition, get in touch.

Comment

My parents actually bought a new cassette player recently.

Comment

I wouldn't have believed that was even possible

Comment

Nor did I

Comment

Originally posted by JVL View Post

Ah. Yes. An almost identical wicker basket thing full of cables and chargers on the shelving unit next to my desk, alongside another box containg 3.5" disks. Even though I no longer own a disk drive...
                                              I've got that wicker basket full of cables as well. Is it a German thing?

Most likely Swedish, now I think about it.

Comment

Ours random cables are in three CD boxes. We also have a spindle of blank CD ROMs, toners for a printer we no longer have, and a tiny video camera with all its cables which hasn’t been used for a decade.

Comment

I can confirm that there are definitely some cables in the loft, hopefully including my good RF cable should I fancy playing Dune II: Battle for Arrakis on the Megadrive and Sony Trinitron that's up there.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X