Happy Pancake Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Pancake Day

Apparently Mcdonald's are going to have breakfast pancakes & syrup available all day. I have a fiendishly busy day ahead but might go for a 10pm snack. Just because I can, like.

Ooh pancakes. That's our dinner sorted. Home-made, obvs. Lemon juice and sugar.

Comment

I'll be leaving work early to get some homemade pancake action this evening. Lemon & sugar obvs.

Comment

They don't take long to make you know. I don't really think it sounds like you need to leave work early to make pancakes (though obviously if you can use that argument then go for it)

Comment

Just been discussing how we're going to do pancakes tonight as it's the middle child's football training at half 5 and I usually get back in time to take him and the wife heads to work for the same time that training finishes.

We think we've nailed it with me leaving at 4 - the kids will already be eating pancakes and I'll have 10-15 mins in which to partake before football.

This will be like a military operation,

Put me down as another for lemon and sugar - also golden syrup as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
            They don't take long to make you know. I don't really think it sounds like you need to leave work early to make pancakes (though obviously if you can use that argument then go for it)
            Hehe, no, the other half has something else on later.

Comment

Just made one each for our two. Boy went for honey, daughter for jam.

We've also got some home made Scandinavian semla and cream that we did on Sunday. They're ace.

Comment

Comment

In Finland-Swedish, semla means a plain wheat bun, used for bread and butter, and not a sweet bun. At some point Swedes grew tired of the strict observance of Lent, added cream and almond paste to the mix and started eating semla every Tuesday between Shrove Tuesday and Easter.

Comment

Damn good thing they did too.

Comment

Working from home today, so pancakes for breakfast.

And leaving home early for pancakes is justifiable, the mix needs to be put in the fridge for about 60 minutes.

Comment

Lemon and sugar with pancakes seems to be almost exclusively a British thing.

Comment

Golden Syrup. Anything else would get the raised eyebrow of deviancy.

Hard to make them on a train on the way to watch Chippenham v Concord Rangers tonight though.

Comment

I've honestly never heard of anyone having golden syrup on pancakes, and then there are two on this thread. (And it's not like we've never had the pancake conversation on here before)

Comment

Syrup for me too.

Comment

Golden syrup is my first choice on pancakes. I won't have it because we've absolutely no other use for the stuff so it seems a waste to buy some just to use a couple of tablespoons worth a year.

Comment

Golden syrup, maple syrup or honey were all options when I used to make pancakes for my kids when they were young. If they ever had them with lemon and sugar it certainly didn't stick.

As a regular visitor to My Old Dutch back in the day, I wouldn't rule out any food topping.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                    Lemon and sugar with pancakes seems to be almost exclusively a British thing.
                                    Yeah I've not heard of it elsewhere, except among the most devoted of ex-pats.

It's righteous, though. Syrup is just wet sugar anyway, I mean, what's that all about?

Comment

No, I'm not ruling it out, I've just genuinely never heard of it - and here the thread is now getting flooded with people talking as if it was the most common topping. I grew up with lemon and sugar, and while I have later in life encountered jam and more recently nutella, golden syrup had never crossed my screen before.

Comment

Is My Old Dutch still going? Having a savoury pancake main course followed by a sweet pancake dessert was unorthodox but surprisingly enjoyable.

Has anyone ever tried to replicate a multi course pancake banquet in a domestic setting?

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                          Is My Old Dutch still going? Having a savoury pancake main course followed by a sweet pancake dessert was unorthodox but surprisingly enjoyable.

Yup. I took the family to the branch in the King's Road a few years ago and the one in High Holborn is still going. Additionally I believe that there's a restaurant in Kensington that awaits my custom.

Comment

What's the difference between British and American style pancakes? One of the lads at work reckons it's simply a matter of adding baking powder to the batter, but it must surely be more than that to get them fluffed up. Not sure how reliable he is though as he's using that ready mix where you just add water and shake.

And put me down for lemon and sugar in house full of Nutella addicts, though Mrs G is also partial to honey on hers.

Comment

I might or might not pick one up later from the new dessert shop that's opened in Balham.

Do people no longer call today 'Shrove Tuesday'?

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Yup. I took the family to the branch in the King's Road a few years ago and the one in High Holborn is still going. Additionally I believe that there's a restaurant in Kensington that awaits my custom.
                                                That's gone on the list to revisit. The Kensington branch is news to me.

I've got a pancake t shirt but wearing it to make pancakes might seem a little gauche. But if not then, when?

Comment

We would have savoury pancakes from time to time as a kid. Essentially mince rolled up in a pancake. Don't remember doing both at one sitting though.

American pancakes are smaller and thicker. They taste the same though.

I've called it pancake day for over 40 years.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X