Repeal the 27th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repeal the 27th

The 27th amendment to the Irish constitution eliminated the automatic right to citizenship for children born on the island of Ireland where both parents were foreign nationals, and was largely passed on the spurious grounds of "birth tourism", that immigrants were arriving with the specific purpose of claiming citizenship. In the period since, however, there have been numerous cases where, because of the lengthy process of regulating immigration status and appeals concerning same, many immigrants have raised families in Ireland, before being threatened with deportation, though their children have never resided in their parents' homeland.

Obviously, the whole immigration process needs to be streamlined, not only to address time concerns and expedite regularisation, reducing the necessity of direct provision centres in the process, but repeal of the 27th would also assist in that process.

That link is of a Brazilian family who were resident for 12 years in Ireland and then threatened with deportation after the father was sent to prison. Apparently they never got around to filling in the forms to become permanent residents and/or naturalised Irish citizens, because they say it was too hard. Due to the language barrier, apparently, according to the article.
    ​​​​If it is too hard then it should obviously be made easier, because after five years they would have qualified for Irish nationality and they would have been allowed to keep their Brazilian nationality as well, because Ireland allows dual citizenship. If it's a case of still not being able to, after 12 years, understand the language that the forms are written in, well... at some point these people have to accept some responsibility.

Not sure what use Repealing the 27th would have been in this case. Yeah, the kids would have been Irish from birth but their parents could have still been deported and what use would that be to the kids.

Not sure if automatic citizenship of where you are born really makes sense. If my my mother happened to have been in holiday in Austria and then I was born prematurely over there, should I then be Austrian? Maybe a better rule would be that the children of permanent residents or minimum x years residence can automatically be Irish from birth. Then it's clear that your family was based in that country when you were born, so of course you should be a citizen.

​​​​​
    ​​​
    Last edited by anton pulisov; 24-02-2020, 23:34.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ddiezworld/status/1233454624268521472

Comment

Michael McDowell makes me wish I believed in Hell. Blood on his fucking PD Tory hands.

Comment

His exemptions to the PRTB legislation have also helped exacerbate the housing crisis (eg if the landlord sez a "family member" (who most likely is fictional) needs the gaff you can be evicted outside the statutory notice period and the cunts only need to give a month no matter how long you've lived at the property).

Comment

He's also so pompous and self regarding he makes the current Prez look self effacing and unconcerned with the trappings of Office. And he has the sort of temper that leads obits to say "he didn't suffer fools gladly", presumably cos "Cunt" would be too pithy.
            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 29-02-2020, 01:01.

Comment

Working...
            X