Muriels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muriels

Coronation Street’s Hilda Ogden famously mispronounced mural as muriel so the word has been in my head every time I see the other thread title.

I can only think of two, both Scottish:

Muriel Gray, yoof tv presenter turned slightly snippy cultural commentator turned head of Glasgow School of Art

Muriel Spark, books beloved of Ms Felicity, most known for The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

Muriel was a wise old goat in Animal Farm n’all.
    and the character who got married and catapulted Toni Collette to stardom.

Comment

Luis Muriel, was playing for Atalanta t'other night - came to my attention when he was playing for Sevilla a couple of seasons back. May well have featured in the 'footballers with women's names' thread.

Comment

Muriel Young - aka 'Aunty Mu': she was a former TV announcer-turned-producer who was behind most of ITV's music output in the 1970s. Young was responsible for all those pop shows like Lift Off, Get It Together, Shang-a-Lang and Marc.

In truth, she did almost as much as Cowell and co in sanitising pop music during that time - however, I can only assume that she must've delegated duties for Marc Bolan's show, which was both shambolic, and cunningly adapted by its star as a showcase for most of the up-and-coming punk/new-wave names of the era.

Comment

Well, there’s Glenn Tamplin’s infamous Muriel at Billericay FC. Which could also go in the Murals thread for a laugh.

Comment

I used to work with a Muriel. She had loads of pets and, during fag breaks, she always used to tell me about their minor ailments.

Now, I like animals as much as the next man, but having to hear about a parrot's halitosis/a goldfish's gout/a hamster's split ends and what have you, half a dozen times a day, five days a week, 40-odd weeks a year very nearly made me give up smoking (which, of course, would have been a good thing).

Comment

I had an aunt who bore the name, come to think of it.

My cousin and I used to snigger at her moustache. (Probably because neither of us could grow one.)

Comment

My Grandads's sister was called Muriel.

Comment

Fluminense keeper Muriel Becker.

Comment

Liverpool keeper Alisson's goalkeeping brother is called Muriel. I'm keen to know how their younger brothers Gladys and Ethel are developing. And if sister Alfred is also looking at a career in football.

EDOT: Beaten to it by a second. Which is possibly a problem Muriel knows a lot about.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                      Muriel Young - aka 'Aunty Mu': she was a former TV announcer-turned-producer who was behind most of ITV's music output in the 1970s. Young was responsible for all those pop shows like Lift Off, Get It Together, Shang-a-Lang and Marc.

In truth, she did almost as much as Cowell and co in sanitising pop music during that time - however, I can only assume that she must've delegated duties for Marc Bolan's show, which was both shambolic, and cunningly adapted by its star as a showcase for most of the up-and-coming punk/new-wave names of the era.
                      I’ll never forget the shock to my 13-year-old self on seeing The Damned on Marc. I wonder if that’s why they’ve always been my favourite punks.

Comment

I was less surprised, having seen The Damned supporting T Rex at Newcastle City Hall earlier in the year...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                            I’ll never forget the shock to my 13-year-old self on seeing The Damned on Marc. I wonder if that’s why they’ve always been my favourite punks.
                            To his eternal credit, Bolan was a champion of the new wave - I'm just surprised that Young allowed him to express it via a kids'-hour TV show.

Others who appeared included The Jam, Radio Stars, Boomtown Rats, Generation X and Eddie & The Hot Rods.

Comment

Whatever happened to OTF resident Srri Lanka cricket fan Murali's Webbing?

Ps Marc's TV show was wheeler as we say in BT

Comment

Muriel Strepsil

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                  Muriel was a wise old goat in Animal Farm n’all.
                                  and the character who got married and catapulted Toni Collette to stardom.
                                  Other fictional Muriels include a character in Ann Tyler's The Accidental Tourist, a teacher in Anne of Green Gables and a gossiping aunt in one of the Harry Potter stories, apparently. It was also Chandler's middle name in Friends, fictional-fact fans.

Me and my lists, eh?

Comment

Have you ever thought about making an inventory of your lists?

Comment

It's on the agenda.

Comment

J.D. Salinger's Muriel Glass, wife of Seymour.

Comment

Muriel Day, unsuccessful Irish Eurovision singer, her shame was all the more because we were hosting it.

Comment

She didn't sing My Lovely Horse did she?

Comment

Muriel Belcher founded and for many years ran the Colony Room drinking club in Soho. As is often the case with bastions of bohemian decadence, when former regulars try to explain the magic they end up making it sound like one of the worst places on earth.

Comment

Working...
                                              X