Terrorism in Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrorism in Germany

German authorities have correctly called the murders in Hanau "terrorism". And in Germany, that's a word that has -- or, at least, used to have -- emotive weight.

I hope it will be clear that the AfD is to blame. I've not seen a response from the Nazis in Chinos yet, but it will inevitably refer to lone wolf theories, with special reference to mental illness. Even though the AfD linked to the website of the terrorist. Either way, the terror attack is on their account.

But how many people who have AfD leanings give a shit? At the minute silence at Eintracht Frankfurt's match last night, a substantial number of in the crowd whistled (in a place just 20km from Frankfurt!). What sick fucks whistle during a minute silence for murder victims? The response from the human beings was very good ("Nazis out!"), but when basic decency is becoming negotiable, your society is infected.

The job for decent Germans is to find a way to fix this disease. The victims of Hanau and those who loved them deserve that. Maybe this act of terror will be the pivot. But I'm not holding high hopes.
    Last edited by G-Man; 21-02-2020, 06:52.

I've stayed in Hanau, I had a sort-of-girlfriend there. It struck me as one of the most nondescript pretty-well-off small-town-Germany places I have ever been. I barely remember anything about the town itself to be honest. And yet now this fascist terrorist cunt makes it famous.

At some point Europe (and N America) has to start taking far right terrorism seriously. That means not just trying to infiltrate networks, it means calling out hate speech and extremist tropes when they come from whoever. Whether it be the AfD or commentators on the media, or members of EU governments (I'm looking at you Hungary).

Comment

or Boris Johnson.

The Spectator

Melanie Phillips

Priti Patel has links to the BJP

Here's a link to the Minute' silence at Eintracht that G-Man mentioned

https://twitter.com/JoeToGo_/status/1230614373024096256?s=20

I've also been to Hanau.

bombed to smithereens and rebuilt in the 60's.

....RIP....
      Last edited by Nefertiti2; 21-02-2020, 07:39.

Comment

Like AH and Nef I know Hanau (as a student I lived in a nearby village, coincidentally close to where G Man's granda grew up).

Points taken about the town, but the AfD and similar have big support across the country. Ranging from affluent suburbia to the bleakest post-DDR outposts. This could have happened anywhere..

Comment

Another visitor here. ursus minor had a minor surgical procedure done there and it was a place to go on the S-Bahn.

ad hoc's description is spot on. Like many of the bombed out cities that were rebuilt quickly, the result was at best utilitarian, and despite its proximity to FFM and rich history, it never seemed to gentrify.

Thanks to G-Man for starting the thread. The very troubling situation certainly merits one.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Mahmoud11791413/status/1230867558875717637

Comment

The Mainzer Karneval speaker

in German.

really fucking good.

[URL]https://twitter.com/zdfheute/status/1231199811849924614?s=21[/URL]

translation (via Twitter)

First Altar Server in the Cathedral of Mainz

Carnival Speech against German far right-wing party afd - excerpt:

In almost every interview

they like to hear themselves speak in Nazi rhetoric.

I have a message,

listen carefully, I can do this too:

We will protect Democracy!

Your attitude will not be of advantage to yourself.

Our children will never again freeze to death for you!

Never again they will croak on a battlefield!

They will never again fight to the last

while you sit in the Führerbunker.

It is first civic duty to protect them from you!

Mainz is open-minded! You will not take our freedom!

If you had a minute of silence for every Nazi victim

you would have to keep your mouths shut for 38 years.

It was genocide a million times over, you brown dwarfs,

and no bird shit in German history

The murders in Hanau, the shooting at the synagogue in Halle.

Jews, Christians, Muslims, these were attacks on all of us.

We live here together, democracy will triumph.

You will never rule this country!

#MainzbleibtMainz

Last edited by Nefertiti2; 22-02-2020, 19:58.

Comment

Does this belong here?

Comment

Too early to be sure, but the chances are unfortunately high.

Rosenmontag is a very big thing in the Rhineland.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                    Does this belong here?
                    'Police said they believed it was an attack but that there was no indication of a political motive, according to German newspaper Bild.'

Well, if Bild can't find a racist angle, I doubt anyone will.

Comment

Meanwhile, at yesterday's Rosenmontag procession in Düsseldorf. "Words turn into deeds"

Comment

The driver in Volkmarsen is being charged with attempted murder

The authorities have yet to discover any "extremist" links, though he is said to have been a suspect in some minor crimes

61 people were injured

Comment

Working...
                        X