• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heather Couper, RIP

Bollocksing fucking arse

Heather Couper has died, aged 70.

Oh. I really liked her. RIP.

Comment

RIP to an immensely likable and knowledgeable astronomer and presenter. I used to love Heavens Above.

A sad loss indeed.

Comment

The first time I saw her would've been on 'Heaven's Above' in the early 80s. She made those types of programs fun and interesting. I can see her influence in Maggie Aderin-Pocock, who is such a wonderful presenter.
        RIP, Heather.

Comment

A real shame. she was a real driving force behind the modernisation of science communication.

Comment

Gutted. I loved her bubbly presence on TV astronomy stuff when I was growing up, and I own at least one book by her.

Interesting that the BBC article today mentions how she wrote as a girl to Patrick Moore asking if there was a future for her in astronomy, and he wrote back saying of course there was. Then years later she got her television break appearing on The Sky At Night. By all accounts he wrote similar encouraging letters to umpteen young fans, so this is a reminder of just how many astronomers he must've helped create across generations. And surely somewhere out there there's astronomers today who she encouraged in the same way.

Comment

I've never heard of her or of a show called Heaven's Above. Which is quite weird, as I would likely have been really interested if I had known about it. It wasn't on ITV was it??

Re: Patrick Moore, he was very willing to give advice and encouragement... to certain people. You wouldn't have got a friendly reaction from him if you had a German name, for example. Or indeed of many other races but British. He was a 'complicated' man let's say. By which I mean his positive characteristics were weighed against some very, very serious negative ones: sexist, homophobic, xenophobic and racist would be the gist of it. And extremely right wing. Given his opinion of Women presenting the news and being given primary roles on Sci-Fi shows, he is unlikely to have been much of a fan of where his encouragement saw Couper end up!

Comment

I can imagine what he'd have thought of Maggie Aderin-Pockock then.

Comment

I assume some people at the BBC secretly enjoyed that very aspect of discovering her and her broadcasting ability.

Comment

Working...
                  X