Murals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Murals

Inspired by the amazing vintage LA murals from Amor's thread, I thought I'd start this. Snapped this one on George Street, Sydney at lunchtime:

I went to Orgosolo the other year. It's a remarkable town up in the hills of Sardinia. Bandit country. But in the 1960s a local artist started painting political murals that dealt with Sardinian independence, anti Imperialism, ant Nazism, anarchism etc. You can plot the history of the town and Sardinia through the paintings. I loved it there, I felt very inspired briefly. Inspired to do what, I didn't know, but it was nice to get a flicker.

I also had a ridiculously good sandwich. They didn't speak any English. I just asked for carne. I don't think I've ever had a better sandwich.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orgosolo_mural

Comment

Comment

Bratislava was good for murals when I was there. There was a big fox I liked.

My favourite mural is History of the Old Kent Road by Adam Kossowski on what was the North Peckham Civic Centre. Detail below.

There are images of the complete mural in this album. I should have taken a picture of the building and the context of the mural. It wraps around the ground floor and is 1000 sq ft.

Kossowski is fascinating, he mostly did religious work.

Comment

This one near where I live is quite nice:

Even more striking is the remarkable mural by the famous Spanish “street” artist from Bilbao, Eva Mena, on a wall in Wellesley Road. This is said to be of the American singer and musician Erykah Badu. The work was commissioned by the owners of the building, Indepth Hygiene Services. It was painted in three days in 2010, when the artist came over from Spain to paint it. It is entirely typical of her street art, which is to be found on walls in many parts of the world, including Egypt, Ireland and Spain, as well as Sutton.

Comment

Duncairn Gardens would be up for this. Trouble is there's so much to choose from- paramilitarism, sporting heroics, soon to be extinct big cats and the Book of Revelation...

Comment

I've got lots of mural photos which I'll dig out at some point - quite a lot from the Point district of Salem, which has a really good art project aimed at breaking down the socio-economic barriers between this district and the rest of the North Shore area. Their website is here http://puntourbanartmuseum.org/ and has far better images of the murals than I do, so I'll just post a couple of mine and let you look at the rest on their site.

Comment

We’ve got a few. Here’s the newest.

https://www.statecollege.com/news/lo...llege,1481035/

https://www.statecollege.com/news/lo...nough,1481967/

Comment

I didn't make these photos myself, but this is my favorite mural in Chicago. The great thing about this one is that no matter where one stands, the eyes seem to follow.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/vamonde.media/adventures%2F1%2FDraftAdventure_1_2018-10-01T22%3A26%3A07.244Z.jpg

Comment

For some reason I couldn't post two links in the same post. Here's a close-up.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/vamonde.med...%3A07.244Z.jpg

Comment

That’s wild!

Comment

Cement silos at Ocean Cement in Vancouver. Emily Carr College of Art & Design is right next door so I'm guessing their students are responsible.

Comment

Blackpool

Comment

Southport

Comment

Liverpool

Comment

London

Comment

Leicester

Comment

Manchester

Comment

Those are great. The Liverpool ones are a bit cloying, but horses for courses.

Comment

To be honest I put the Klopp one up knowing it's cringe inducing, but the one of Trent isn't too bad as it was done for Fans Supporting Foodbanks who do a lot of great work in the area.

Comment

<feels bad>

Comment

Bad boy, Sits.

The NW1 one is a copy of a Steve McCurry photograph of an Afghan girl - anyone know why it's reproduced?

Comment

There's one of Mo Salah in Liverpool city centre (unsurprisingly), by Marks and Spencers

Comment

But I haven't got a photo. Get the best pictures on the radio, as they say

Comment

Dublin City Council put out a decision that all murals need planning permission, even on private property with the owners permission. It's been swallowed up by Covid 19, but we'll wait to see what happens afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X