Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Them as well…

Comment

“Keeping Locomotion No. 1 in Darlington is crucial for our 2025 celebrations – it’s unthinkable to imagine it anywhere else but Darlington for the 200th anniversary of the world’s first passenger railway."

Anywhere else, really. What was it called again, the Darlington and Darlington Railway?

Comment

Mighty lucky with my LNER service today, as not only was it on time but my reserved seat was still unoccupied (apparently other people on here have lost theirs). Other LNER trains have been hugely delayed, overcrowded (standing room only) and cancelled from all the knock-ons of yesterday, so my luck is in so far.
        Last edited by Arturo; 10-02-2020, 16:02.

Comment

Don't say that out loud...

Comment

Got to work at 10 rather than 730 this morning. Delay was down to rather tragic circumstances...

Comment

Fatality at NLW or unit failure at MAN?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE! View Post
                Fatality at NLW or unit failure at MAN?
                NLW, early morning one. I heard about a stabbing at MAN this afternoon, the office gossips were getting worked up about it....

Comment

Southeastern and Great Western get two and three year direct awards.

Comment

Because otherwise there would have been no one to run them from Wednesday.

current contracts finish tomorrow, OLR not set up to take on two more franchises.

very nice terms once the current six months revenue support ends.

Also, a pointer as to the William's review not ending franchising in any way.

Comment

Not looking good in Scotland. Major incident just south of Stonehaven.

Appears either an earthworks defect or a collapsed bridge has caused a major derailment to an HST. One power car is down a bank, with the cab missing and on fire.

One carriage has been split lengthways with two other carriages on top of it, one upside down.

Two reported dead so far, though apparently only 9 people on the train.

Comment

Shit. Thank fuck the train wasn't busy, that's a really bad one.

Comment

It helps that Aberdeen is in local lock-down at the moment and so the train didn't have that many on. Still horrible though.

Comment

Why do we need to see photos?

Comment

I've removed the photos as I am not sure that they are appropriate at this time.

Comment

That looks dreadful. The timeline is a bit confusing, the train left Stonehaven just before 7am but the emergency services were only called at 9.43am, when did the accident actually happen? Was the train waiting at Carmont for almost 3 hours before turning back, or did it derail straight away and then take that long to realise it had gone missing?

Comment

BBC reporting 3 deaths. This is dreadful. 2020 has suddenly decided to turn its baleful face towards Aberdeen.

we had a delude of biblical proportions last night/ this morning. Flooding like I’ve never seen in the town. This crash seems to be down to flooding causing a land slip or bringing down a bridge. It is very difficult to access the site.

I know first responders who are on site. I feel for them and everyone involved. Nae good.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                    That looks dreadful. The timeline is a bit confusing, the train left Stonehaven just before 7am but the emergency services were only called at 9.43am, when did the accident actually happen? Was the train waiting at Carmont for almost 3 hours before turning back, or did it derail straight away and then take that long to realise it had gone missing?
                                    I think the train left Glasgow at 06:38. It takes 2+ hours to get to Stonehaven.

Comment

Thoughts and sympathy to all affected.

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                        I've removed the photos as I am not sure that they are appropriate at this time.
                                        To be fair, they were all in the public realm when they were posted.

Comment

I understand that but I felt that it was probably better to be a bit more circumspect as they were obviously taken at the scene while most news sites were still showing stuff from a distance.

Comment

And another one joins the movement:

Shop in Drumlithie refuses to stock Sun newspaper.

Journalists "aggressive and underhand"

Oh.

And the front page headline

https://twitter.com/robinurquhart/st...82724157276160

Comment

Initial report from the Rail Accident Investigation Branch:
                                              https://www.gov.uk/government/news/p...-aberdeenshire

*EDIT* ... and yeah, The S*n newspaper can get (even further) to f*ck after their "Death Express" headline. Ghouls.
                                              Last edited by The Red Max; 14-08-2020, 13:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                                I understand that but I felt that it was probably better to be a bit more circumspect as they were obviously taken at the scene while most news sites were still showing stuff from a distance.
                                                But somehow appropriate enough for the front page of four papers and the main article on the BBC?

Comment

I prefer Snake's judgement to that of the Beeb!

Comment

Without wishing to go too far into it, the key words I kept using were "at this time". At the time I removed them, those photos weren't on the BBC or the news websites which were restricting themselves to long shots and helicopters. Those actual photos from the scene were not being broadcast widely, I certainly didn't know if they were "official" and having such closeups posted such a short time after what was clearly a serious accident felt... uncomfortable.

It was purely a judgement call, which I figured that I would get questioned on either way. So I went with my gut feeling.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X