No announcement yet.

Broken & Late Ltd: Britain's Railways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was bad enough that Mrs D's birthday today entitled her to a trip to Ikea, but we decided to try the newish one at Meadowhall, which meant a trip on Northern Rail's Penistone line from Huddersfield to Sheffield.
    Fucking hell. It's mostly single track, so you'd think it would be like in Wales where the trains pass each other at a station and then proceed - there are only two fucking trains on the track, so we're good to go. Not with the signalling system they've got, which lost track of our train on the way there (although Mrs D's iPhone was showing exactly where we were), meaning a 40 minute delay awaiting permission to use the obviously empty track, followed by being cancelled and turfed out at Barnsley. Same again on the way back, minus the Barnsley bit.

Other passengers confirmed it is like that every day.

It's a scenic route and looked a picture, but fuck it, tear the line up, give to some hobbyists to run, they'll manage to run a better service, use those token ring things.

And Ikea was shit, just like all the others.

Comment

Whenever I think Irish commuter rail or Scotrail are shite, I remember the Pacertastic Northern Rail and feel blessed. Greater Manchester must be at least twice the population of Greater Glasgow but with maybe half the stations. And fuck all Electrified for commuter rail like even the shitey DART, bar Liverpool to Manchester. And it's like someone in the Treasury is taking a shit on Leeds on purpose.
      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 22-05-2019, 22:31.

Comment

I've spent 5 hours on two Pacers today and another hour and a half on a Sprinter. Bliss.

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
        It's mostly single track, so you'd think it would be like in Wales where the trains pass each other at a station and then proceed - there are only two fucking trains on the track, so we're good to go.
        Do they not have key tokens like on the Esk Valley Line? Minutes of fun to be had every few stations as the driver leaves the cab to fiddle around with these on the platform.

Comment

Wtf? Thank god New Labour sorted out the North's archaic infrastructure during their hegemony. Wait, wut?
          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 22-05-2019, 23:58.

Comment

We just add it to the famous Manchester Congestion Charge scheme (it's like London, except, totally different! In that instead of being funded, we'll loan the councils the money. And we'll design it so that all the biggest car parks are inside the charging zone. Also, we'll set up all these park and ride areas in places that you might already recognise as "railway station car parks"). And getting "new" trains which are twenty year old London castoffs.

Osborne made a big play in the 2015 GE about the "Northern Powerhouse". Three days after winning the election he cancelled most of it.

Comment

Northern Shithouse more like.

I usually like Northern Rail because the trains are half empty at the times and places I usually travel, but yesterday plumbed the depths of incompetence.

Toilets were clean, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Crusoe View Post
                This is getting some interesting feedback. Friend of mine is wielding the banhammer mightily to sanitise the comments.

Mind the Gender Gap: The Hidden Data Gap in Transport

https://www.londonreconnections.com/...p-in-transport
                As UA says, that's absolutely fascinating.

Comment

My morning commute has been improved by a new service from Chester to Leeds via Victoria. The train is blissfully empty at the moment and departs a few minutes before my usual service which has remained very busy. Get to work a tad too early but hey...

It's going quite ok at the moment, timeliness wise, surprisingly so...

Comment

First Group announce it is selling off all its UK bus operations and will not bid for any more rail franchises.

Share price goes up 25% in an hour.

Comment

First Group announce it is selling off all its UK bus operations

Presumably the advent of contactless cards has torpedoed First's main revenue stream (exact change only machines on buses, leading to many passengers overpaying for their fares) and they're getting out as a result?

Comment

Anyone who has suffered First Bus in Glasgow will rejoice. Until they sell to Stagecoach.

Comment

On a good day to slip out written ministerial statements: the transport secretary, Chris Grayling, has revealed that the cost of the troubled Crossrail programme has risen again.

Works on track and stations on the overground section to the west of London, carried out by Network Rail, have run another £210m over budget since an update in 2018, bringing the total cost to date to more than £17.8bn.

Grayling said the cost would be met from internal Network Rail budgets – although as it is a state-owned body, it remains in effect taxpayers’ money.

News of the confirmed cost overruns in Network Rail’s relatively small portion of Crossrail work – now more than 20% over its own allotted £2.3bn Crossrail budget – will fuel fears aired by the Public Accounts Committee that the delayed rail line could end up costing substantially more yet. Network Rail said the additional time taken to deliver the project was to blame.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                            First Group announce it is selling off all its UK bus operations

Presumably the advent of contactless cards has torpedoed First's main revenue stream (exact change only machines on buses, leading to many passengers overpaying for their fares) and they're getting out as a result?
                            Eh?

Comment

It was bad enough that Mrs D's birthday today entitled her to a trip to Ikea, but we decided to try the newish one at Meadowhall, which meant a trip on Northern Rail's Penistone line from Huddersfield to Sheffield.
                              Fucking hell. It's mostly single track, so you'd think it would be like in Wales where the trains pass each other at a station and then proceed - there are only two fucking trains on the track, so we're good to go. Not with the signalling system they've got, which lost track of our train on the way there (although Mrs D's iPhone was showing exactly where we were), meaning a 40 minute delay awaiting permission to use the obviously empty track, followed by being cancelled and turfed out at Barnsley. Same again on the way back, minus the Barnsley bit.

Other passengers confirmed it is like that every day.

It's a scenic route and looked a picture, but fuck it, tear the line up, give to some hobbyists to run, they'll manage to run a better service, use those token ring things.

And Ikea was shit, just like all the others.
                              How did you get from Meadowhall to the IKEA though?

Bus or tram?

Comment

Meanwhile, in South Wales -

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCWalesN...80931187892225

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

How did you get from Meadowhall to the IKEA though?

Bus or tram?
                                  We took the tram, although I wanted to walk. £6 return for the two of us! What happened to Sheffield's cheap public transport, it was 2p a journey when I was there recently, in 1984.

Comment

Apparently it's going to be chaos tomorrow with speed restrictions and reduced services across the South East because the tracks might buckle in the heat.

Comment

We took the tram, although I wanted to walk. £6 return for the two of us! What happened to Sheffield's cheap public transport, it was 2p a journey when I was there recently, in 1984.
                                      But that was the buses.

The trams were on hiatus from the 60s

Comment

SNCF and the Paris Metro have already asked people to refrain from all non-essential travel tomorrow

Comment

I wonder how hot it will be on the Victoria Line tomorrow. It's the only line totally underground. I travelled on it a couple of weeks ago when it was around 26 outside, took a Calypso (ice pop) on with me and it had melted totally within a few minutes. Very uncomfortable indeed. The Central line is also very hot and very crowded at rush hour.

The Met and Circle lines have aircon so I'd use them if necessary.

Comment

Caledonian Sleeper

Well done Serco

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...donian-sleeper

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...donian-sleeper

No, Ryan Flaherty, setbacks are not "to be expected in the first few months"

Unless you haven't tested the new rolling stock for fitness for purpose before rolling them out?

Or haven't retained the old coaching fleet in case you needed to revert to using them, you thick, thick, thick arsehole.

The sleeper service has been running for years without these problems, you idiot.

Comment

Can the likes of BB&F confirm or deny this is due to a new franchise holder, now split from Scotrail as I seem to recall?

Comment

It's fuckin Serco, what else to expect?

Comment

GPWM.

(I didn't know it was as long ago as 2015 when it was split from the Scotrail franchise and handed to Serco)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X