LA in the 70s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
    Inca's still there and I'm not (much to my regret) so he understand the nuances better than I do, but the other thing that has changed dramatically is the movement to downtown and along parts of the city where there is now a subway system. I'm back there at least once a year to visit my parents and the development of the subway system is a really nice addition to the city. But still, it's a car culture for sure.
    Though unfortunately there isn't a lot of transit-oriented dense housing options. My local state senator was one to vote down a bill that would have promoted more transit-oriented housing.

The car culture is true, but among younger people I think the rental scooters, as annoying as they can be, have cut down on short car trips in some situations. And people see Uber/Lyft as just a natural thing now. We have friends who have a 17-year old son, and he and his friends have no interest in getting their license. They just rely on rideshare.

Comment

OK here's the second batch. One thing that strikes me at this distance in time is the similarity of a few of the images with Van Art of the period, particularly the unicorn, and the one with Carlos Santana. That and Mural making were quite different practices back then by, probably, very different people, but now I see a real overlap.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

I love the framing on the last one with the unicorn trying to hurdle the bike

Comment

The sepia one is lovely.

Comment

This is a fantastic thread. Thank you, Amor.

Comment

One of the best things about these is how they respond to the colour of the sky.

Comment

Not murals, or LA but I thought I'd put these pictures of the, then, recently renovated Arlington Theatre in Santa Barbara here. Exterior and lobby only I'm afraid. IIRC it was closed when we were there. Still, what I could see was gorgeous.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                  X