Download Managers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Download Managers

This one is for the internet tech savvy folks. During the last 15 years +/- I have done premium memberships to various file transfer sites. In many instances the sites are actually slower than free sites (wetransfer, Mega, Pcloud). When I email the tech support folks to ask why my fast ISP speeds aren't being met with their servers, they often recommend that I use a download manager. I work on a Mac so that would mean Mipony (Jdownloader is a mess and radically slows down my computer). Of course, if I want to enter premium account info. then I have to pay for a Pro version of MiPony, which probably won't be any faster. Can anyone explain in mid-level tech terms why a download manager would be faster than a direct internet download when I have 100mbps?

As an FYI, I also have a dedicated London VPN and using that VPN or my US IP makes no difference with the direct download speeds.

JDownloader is a disaster. When I use it, the WiFi connection periodically breaks down. Useless stuff. So if there are alternatives anyone might recommend for Windows, I'd appreciate suggestions.

Apologies for the thread hijack.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
      Can anyone explain in mid-level tech terms why a download manager would be faster than a direct internet download when I have 100mbps?
      A good download manager should break the file up into small packets and download several of them simultaneously, thus speeding up the process. If a site has a defined speed limit of how quickly it will let you transfer a file, having 10 little bits of it all downloading at that speed (or close to it) instead of one linear download will obviously be quicker.

Think of it as a watered-down version of how torrents work.
      Last edited by 3 Colours Red; 13-02-2020, 21:29.

Comment

G-Man: You might try mipony. I had good luck with that when I was circumventing Mega d/l limits before they created their own desktop app. I'm using a free version but it won't let me enter premium login and has some size limits so I might pay for Premium. It's a lifetime thing, which is a joke because I can't think of many programs that have even lasted 5 years. But this one has been around for a bit so maybe I'll feel like things even out by the time it disappears.

Thanks, 3 Colours. That makes sense. I've had that same experience with FTP. If someone splits a 10GB file into parts, I can d/l parts really fast but the 10GB file itself will take some time.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure that is correct - 10Gb is 10Gb, so it all has to come down the pipe whether it is in sequential bytes or split into chunks.

I reckon 3CR has hit on it with the torrents thing. A download manager will be pulling from several sources to spread the load.

Comment

I’ve got enough trouble with managers without downloading another one, thank you

Comment

Working...
            X