Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From my travels as a youth unsuccessfully defending yer Brit Empire:

Cyprus- moussaka, greasier the better

Guyana- quinine tonic (without the gin, I was only 4). I'm guessing tap water was undrinkable

Palestine- er, schnitzel, dumplings and apfelstrudel. My mum didn't really fancy Eastern Mediterranean cuisine, plus she was friendly with the Mitteleuropeen nuns who ran a cafe at the primary school. If I ever re-identify as Jewish it'll be Ashkenazi not Sefardi

(see threads passim for my falafel chats with Bernie Sanders' brother Larry)

Malawi- mealie (maize porridge) but only when the NAAFI ran out of those Frostie/ Coco pop mini packs

The Lanka- curry.All blended together in my memory

Former Brit Republic of Yugo Irlandiya- ham and cheese slices on white bread in cellophane wrapper

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
      Turkish delight is hardly a "dish". I call bollocks on the whole list
      And neither are knedliky. They are a side or an accompaniment. Eating them on their own would not be fun. Just dry and heavy.

Comment

Yeah, I was very disappointed with the central european choices. I've eaten much nicer dishes than dumplings in all of fhem. Apart from their choice of Wienerschnitzel. I do like that.
        Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 12-02-2020, 09:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
          Kenya - Nyama Choma (barbecued goat)
          Nope. Nyama Choma is barbecued cow. Barbecued goat is Mbuzi Choma.

This list is bollocks.

Comment

England's signature dish should be veggie roast. Far too much meat on that list.

'Turkish delight', ffs...

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
            No country worth anything has a national dish

Regional at best, local even better, familial if one really cares
            But, yeah, 'this' basically.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
              Cullen Skink fer Scotland. Fuck yer New England Chowdah, this is proper fish soup.
              You shut your whore mouth.

Comment

Also, I talked three people into having cioppino to represent San Francisco for their Super Bowl party (everybody went barbecue for KC), and I am very proud of this.

Cioppino and fresh sourdough would certainly get my vote for San Francisco's greatest dish.

Comment

Latvia - zirņi ar speķi (peas with fried lard/bacon cubes)

Comment

I stopped reading that list at Peking duck.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

what's the onion doing?
                      The onion is waiting to be cut up and eaten. (only a bit of it mind you) I love onions. If cooking anything in a pot, I'll usually put in three large onions, If i'm frying anything, i'll usually fry an onion. I eat a lot of raw onion. It's great for cutting the fat in all the butter I'm about to eat. We used to grow a lot of onions when I was a kid, and we'd leave them to dry out a bit and hang them from the rafters of the garage in a plait

Comment

Are you single?

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                          The onion is waiting to be cut up and eaten. (only a bit of it mind you) I love onions. If cooking anything in a pot, I'll usually put in three large onions, If i'm frying anything, i'll usually fry an onion. I eat a lot of raw onion. It's great for cutting the fat in all the butter I'm about to eat. We used to grow a lot of onions when I was a kid, and we'd leave them to dry out a bit and hang them from the rafters of the garage in a plait
                          This looks like something from...uh...an online satirical 'magazine'.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                            The best dish in Italy is Neapolitan style pizza.
                            The best dish in the US is Neapolitan style pizza.
                            The best dish in Britain is Neapolitan style pizza.
                            The best dish in Ireland is Neapolitan style pizza.
                            etc... etc...
                            I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                              are you my granny?

Comment

I was on holiday in Valencia a couple weeks ago. Ham is good.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                  I was on holiday in Valencia a couple weeks ago. Ham is good.
                                  You should have said! Then again, maybe you didn't want to.

Comment

are you my granny?
                                    Ha. (Volume of food notwithstanding, I can't decide whether that meal looks post-apocalypse or just post-Brexit...)

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

Ha. (Volume of food notwithstanding, I can't decide whether that meal looks post-apocalypse or just post-Brexit...)

Behave. That's hearty, rustic fare.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

You should have said! Then again, maybe you didn't want to.
                                        Oh right, the obligatory "Destination, then..." thread.

It is a wonderful place, still mostly untouched by tourism (but for how long, we can't know).

I managed to catch Messi being useless.

Comment

crtl + F.

Korea - Kimchi (fermented cabbage and veg)
                                          Yeah, I'll go find the control button on my smartphone.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post

Yeah, I'll go find the control button on my smartphone.
                                            Ah yeah, sorry

Comment

It is a wonderful place, still mostly untouched by tourism (but for how long, we can't know).
                                              There seem to be enough visitors here but then again it's no Barcelona.

Comment

There seem to be enough visitors here but then again it's no Barcelona.
                                                Ah yeah, I grew up in Amsterdam which is essentially the Barcelona of the north, so when I say "mostly untouched" I'm comparing to Amsterdam.

Comment

I will add to the derision of that stupid list. The idea that China, India, even down to Spain, Italy and Portugal have national dishes is ridiculous. Italy has only existed as a country properly for about 200 years and, even leaving this aside, they have represented it with a dish that doesn't really exist there certainly not under that name.

I suppose I should say that Welsh Rarebit isn't really the Welsh national dish. I have an idea that it was given the name "Welsh" as we are supposedly known for our cheese-eating. Cawl/lobsqaws probably has the greatest claim to it but I doubt that many Welsh families still make it that often. Having said that, I doubt that many eat Welsh Rarebit. Cheese on toast is, I expect, more popular and regularly eaten. Half and half with curry sauce is probably eaten more often than properly made rarebit. I did wonder about faggots but they are an English import.

Comment

Bara brith would be a reasonable choice for Wales.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X