No announcement yet.

The "best" dishes of each country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or soda farls fried in the grease of the bacon that just left the pan.

Comment

Comment

One of the few advantages of having a 45 minute digestive transit time, is I can eat this, and not suffer the usual consequences that would accrue to a man of my age.

Comment

I take it you're not having ALL that bacon?

Comment

I've eaten everything on that plate. I may go back for more later. The bigger chunk of bacon is for tomorrow. It's really really nice. And about as unhealthy per forkful as cake.

Comment

We'd call that slab a ham, not a bacon. Or a cottage roll.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                One of the few advantages of having a 45 minute digestive transit time, is I can eat this, and not suffer the usual consequences that would accrue to a man of my age.
                Lucky prick. I'd need medical care for my GI tract.

Comment

Feijoada is mad good. I shared a big pot of the stuff with the missus in Santa Teresa, a hill suburb overlooking Rio de Janeiro. It's an arty, hipstery sort of place, all bars, restaurants and little gallery shops. I bought a tiny wooden favela model from a shop that if I'd had thousands of pounds and an enormous suitcase I could have emptied.

We went to a place famed for its feijoada but it was rammoed, people queuing out the door, twatting back caipirinhas as they waited. We were asked if we minded sitting out back, which we didn't, and we were led through the restaurant, up some stairs, and onto a flat roof that had been converted into a makeshift overflow. We sat on patio furniture, eating a big pot of meat, black beans and veg, as the evening turned into night. It was magical.

I fucking loved Rio. It's a troubled place, and the FLAMNENGO ANTIFA stickers on lampposts obviously mean something more, especially as the neighbourhood you see them in are patrolled by police pointing automatic weaponry out of the car window as people tear apart bin bags looking for food, but still, there's nowhere like it.

Think i'll cook some feijoada tomorrow.

Comment

Not Quite San B approved, but fancied the excessive cheese of a Roman pizza vs the Neapolitan model tonight.

Comment

And tbh, the crust was really too puffy to qualify as Roman. Damn tasty but.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Lucky prick. I'd need medical care for my GI tract.
                        I feel like a python that has swallowed a pig. It will take less than three weeks to deal with though.

Comment

I like Russian blinis and caviar best, but then I was a gangster's moll.

And Turkey has loads of food better than Turkish delight.

Trying to think what ... even those spinach and feta pastries. Mezze dishes, although they're a general ME thing.

Comment

Well done, Wales there.

Comment

They do a lot of exciting things with vegetables. and what appear to be stews. The eastern med in general needs to have a long chat with itself about baklava though. That stuff makes a bag of crunchies washed down with a gallon of Corn syrup Coke look like the healthy option.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                We'd call that slab a ham, not a bacon. Or a cottage roll.
                                Ham is the buttock or thigh. Bacon is either from the back, the belly or the loin. Ham isn't quite as nice. That's actually a Kassler loin, because the fancy butcher spent a couple of years in germany.

Comment

Couldn't be arsed to search exhaustively through this non-alphabetized list in the OP, but is Korea featured? I want to nominate bibimbap. It manages the rare balance of being iconic, filling, and healthy all at the same time. If an Oxford-style debate ever compels me to slag off the city I live in now, the lack of a decent Korean restaurant is top of the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                    The only place I had a meal in Dundee prior to my sisters graduation in 2009 was Littlewoods caff in the upstairs of a 70s as fuck shopping centre. bangers and Mash would have been very much "slap up" on their menu, and probably even that would have been beyond a DC hack back in their parsimonious heyday.
                                    I spent many hours in that place 1979-81

Comment

Ham is the buttock or thigh. Bacon is either from the back, the belly or the loin.

Correct.

Ham isn't quite as nice.
                                      Incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                                        Couldn't be arsed to search exhaustively through this non-alphabetized list in the OP, but is Korea featured? I want to nominate bibimbap. It manages the rare balance of being iconic, filling, and healthy all at the same time. If an Oxford-style debate ever compels me to slag off the city I live in now, the lack of a decent Korean restaurant is top of the list.
                                        crtl + F.

Korea - Kimchi (fermented cabbage and veg)

Comment

I feel like a python that has swallowed a pig. It will take less than three weeks to deal with though.
                                          You basically have swallowed a pig. If you're secretly Michael Palin then the whole thing fits

Comment

As far as I can guess this list was created by someone asking their friend "name a food from x. First thing that comes into your head, come on". That's the only explanation for half the list. "Turkey!" "errrrm Turkish.... Turkish... Turkish delight!"

Turkey has tonnes of brilliant meze, and amazing vegetable dishes, plus much to satisfy the meat eater too. Having Turkish delight as their entry is even more ridiculous than it would be if Germany's entry was haribo. (plus, it's spelled lokum not "lukum")

I note that there is no place for Hungary on the list but given the "methodology" it's obvious that it would be gulyás / goulash

I agree with Wouter on bibimbap
                                            Last edited by ad hoc; 12-02-2020, 05:52.

Comment

I think I just got tired of ad-skipping through the site after country 100. But Hungary was on it, and yes, it was ... gulyas.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                                I can confirm Edinburgh "gastropubs" are known to serve Bangers n mash, but that's pretty much a southron England enclave but with rugger boys called Alasdair and Farqhuar instead of Toby and Olly anyways.
                                                "Alasdair. With a d," if you please.

Comment

In The Netherlands, you can buy that out of a vending machine.

Comment

what's the onion doing?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X