Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Truths I can’t quite believe

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Truths I can’t quite believe

    I understand how internal combustion engines work, more or less, but I’ve always found it hard to believe that the cycle of fuel injection, ignition, and exhaust can happen many thousands of times per minute. It seems like it would be slower than that and take more fuel per cycle. I can’t quite picture it.

    I don’t really believe in the clothes featured in fashion magazines. Why would anyone pay $100 for a t-shirt or $500+ for shoes? Even if you can afford it, why pay so much when you can get the same thing, essentially, for so much less. And I don’t understand the point of designers spending so much on those weird things they show off at fashion shows. Does anyone actually buy that? I get that it’s more for the ideas and not the actual products, but then why bother pretending it’s part of the “new collection. But it seems like all the fashion experts and designers just wear basic, albeit overpriced, stuff.

    The Kardashians. Everything about them.

    MMA. Why would anyone do that to their own head?





    #2
    I can't quite believe functioning adults went out and voted for Boris Johnson.

    Or that so many Americans were stupid enough to vote for Trump.

    I can't really believe the human race still has religions.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
      I understand how internal combustion engines work, more or less, but I’ve always found it hard to believe that the cycle of fuel injection, ignition, and exhaust can happen many thousands of times per minute. It seems like it would be slower than that and take more fuel per cycle. I can’t quite picture it.
      I have the same feeling about lithography. I understand it's based on oil and water not mixing, but with that degree of precision? Getoutahere! Don't believe it. Not possible. But I know it is because I worked with it for so long. Still confounds me.

      Comment


        #4
        I Believe

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by hobbes View Post
          Still think the original is better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmWLJmbytkk

          I often think back fondly to how we were amazed that someone as obviously stupid as Reagan could be elected president.....

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

            I have the same feeling about lithography. I understand it's based on oil and water not mixing, but with that degree of precision? Getoutahere! Don't believe it. Not possible. But I know it is because I worked with it for so long. Still confounds me.
            I’ve wondered about that too.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by jdsx View Post

              Still think the original is better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmWLJmbytkk

              I often think back fondly to how we were amazed that someone as obviously stupid as Reagan could be elected president.....
              That’s based on a misunderstanding of what people - at least a lot lot people - want out of a president.

              Comment


                #8
                Beyond the politics...

                I still find it hard to believe:

                that people watch "entertainment" wrestling.

                that people pay what they do to see high end sporting events and then turn up so indescribably wasted that they won't remember a thing

                that heavier than air aircraft actually stay up, and the flexing of the wings is actually good and part of the design and not precursors the entire structure of the non-intuitive physics collapsing and the plane falling out of the sky

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                  that people pay what they do to see high end sporting events and then turn up so indescribably wasted that they won't remember a thing
                  Also true of concerts, in my (ahem) experience.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                    Beyond the politics...

                    I still find it hard to believe:

                    that people watch "entertainment" wrestling.

                    that people pay what they do to see high end sporting events and then turn up so indescribably wasted that they won't remember a thing

                    that heavier than air aircraft actually stay up, and the flexing of the wings is actually good and part of the design and not precursors the entire structure of the non-intuitive physics collapsing and the plane falling out of the sky
                    Aren’t all aircraft heavier than air? Air is very light.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Airships and hydrogen balloons and hot air balloons are all lighter than air. The way they function is entirely intuitive, so it's less likely that they fall out of the sky as soon as someone thinks too hard about it.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Anything is lighter than air depending on how much air you’re comparing it to.

                        Denser than air, is what I meant.
                        Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 10-02-2020, 00:03.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Indeed, “pressure differential” - while true - is not a very satisfying answer for how wings work.

                          https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ay-in-the-air/

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

                            MMA. Why would anyone do that to their own head?

                            Well that applies to all combat sports, most especially boxing. To which the answer is some people just enjoy the adreneline rush of combat.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

                              That’s based on a misunderstanding of what people - at least a lot lot people - want out of a president.
                              At least with Reagan you could understand the appeal to some extent - the charismatic movie star as opposed to the Mr. Whippy hair, Cheetos tan, lewd, crude and very very rude, racist, homophobic, xenophobic, transphobic, misogynist... creature from the deep.

                              EDIT: add illiterate (see his Twitter), innumerate(see his business accounts), draft dodging, borderline incestuous...
                              Last edited by 3 Colours Red; 10-02-2020, 05:42.

                              Comment


                                #16
                                Originally posted by ooh aah View Post

                                Well that applies to all combat sports, most especially boxing. To which the answer is some people just enjoy the adreneline rush of combat.
                                Ah, that MMA. I thought Hot Pepsi was talking about some kind of hallucinogenic drug.

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

                                  The Kardashians. Everything about them.
                                  This. The latest shite one of them's come out with is that she genuinely believes her son is the reincarnation of her dead father. Can you imagine on how many levels that is seriously fucked up?

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    "Youtuber" is a career option for young people these days

                                    People buy the stuff Gwyneth Paltrow is selling

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      People buy and believe the Murdoch media. I mean, I know that ship’s sailed, but I still can’t believe it.

                                      Comment


                                        #20
                                        That folk still choose to eat meat, knowing what we do.

                                        That folk still choose to smoke cigarettes, knowing what we do. (And I struggle with doing so still being legal.)

                                        That folk who've somehow managed to make some kind of success of their lives - or indeed anyone with even the most basic intellectual capacity - can somehow accommodate 'Flat Earth' (alongside a number of other unscientific conspiracies).

                                        That anyone can get excited about golf.

                                        Put me down as a subscriber to the 'religion' and 'US/UK politics' comments upthread.

                                        (I'm not sure I see how the Kardashians represent any kind of 'truth'. I guess HP means in the sense that their success/popularity is somehow 'real'.)

                                        Comment


                                          #21
                                          Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                          People buy the stuff Gwyneth Paltrow is selling
                                          Can't go wrong with snake oil - it's the finest grift there is.

                                          Comment


                                            #22
                                            Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

                                            That anyone can get excited about golf.
                                            I'll just leave this here.

                                            https://youtu.be/vDCGGMv50EQ

                                            Comment


                                              #23
                                              And Trebeis loves the game!

                                              Comment


                                                #24
                                                I could explain religion, but I don’t think anyone here would care to hear about it.

                                                Comment


                                                  #25
                                                  Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                                  Beyond the politics...

                                                  I still find it hard to believe:

                                                  that people watch "entertainment" wrestling.
                                                  *waves hand*

                                                  Once you grasp that it is a mixture of carnival barkers, pantomine, audience participation and stunt work then you get the appeal.

                                                  I'm with PT on the YouTuber/Instagram/Influencer thing. But then I watched a livestream of planes attempting to land at Heathrow for three hours yesterday so... *shrugs*.

                                                  Comment

                                                  Working...
                                                  X