No announcement yet.

Truths I can’t quite believe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pension funds are some of the biggest bastards for this in Dublin, kept enforcing upward only rents even at the worst of the crash.

Comment

Somebody should do something about it.

I hope all the greedy bastards lose a lot of money if and when the bubble pops.

And die in a fire, of course.

Around here, the big (big for here, not big by city standards) new buildings are mostly student apartments, even though the student population isn’t growing, and mostly being built/bought by companies based far away.

Historically, the apartment buildings and commercial real estate has been dominated by a handful of local companies. The owners are wealthy by any normal standard - because the margins they made when the town was growing rapidly in the 60s and 70s were enormous - but they aren’t quite helicopter-pad-at-the-Hamptons-house rich. And they’re local, so they support local causes, etc.

I don’t know if these big national companies really understand this market - maybe they do. They have people who do research - and they probably aren’t going to put whatever profit they squeeze out of here back into the community. In fact, as I understand it, there is no “they.” These companies are owned by funds, etc.

I just worry there will be a lot of needlessly empty spaces and fewer spots for Quixotic local businesses.

Comment

Welcome to London. And Manchester.

(Actually, IIRC there is still a building site near the Coop that was a scam for Chinese investors.)

Comment

Something has to give.

Comment

Working...
          X